The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Prince's most influential work was made on a cheap imported Tele copy.

And personally, I will never be able to rock like this:

If nothing else, the walkoff at 6:08 is legendary.

User Info Menu

Funny what becomes worth so much money, isn't it! Personally I'd rather have a house a car and ma y good guitars for that kind of dough,lol!

User Info Menu

Is Kurt cobain’s music worth 11 x princes? His guitar - the acoustic used on unplugged - went for 6 million.

I think both are wonderful musicians. I’m just noticing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Kurt’s cardie fetched $334,000: “a blend of acrylic, mohair and Lycra with five-button closure (one button absent), with two exterior pockets, a burn hole and discoloration near left pocket and discoloration on right pocket”.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Prince's most influential work was made on a cheap imported Tele copy.

And personally, I will never be able to rock like this:

If nothing else, the walkoff at 6:08 is legendary.
    It’s not a great solo mucislly (it’s a very good one) but as a performance it’s up there with the best.

I always felt sorry for the other guitarist who builds on Eric Clapton and does a great job

Then prince comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Off and on the topic: I did not know the history of the Prince’s guitar and its shape. I have always thought that it is some kinda ’erotic’ design of Prince himself, but it is made after a Gibson mandolin!

The Cloud Bass | Madcats & Clouds

User Info Menu

"Money" is essentially worthless, so if one has obtained some "Money" one needs to trade it for some object like that. Imagine the excitement to find Great-Great-Grandpas moneybox where he put away two years worth of wages. However, when you open it you find $400. Maybe the antique box housing the money is worth more...
    Last edited by icr; 06-28-2020 at 08:22 PM.

User Info Menu

You can talk this and that about Prince, but nowadays it seems just amazing that once there was a succesful pop artist, who brought funk and soul to contemporary pop music and for pop audience – and was a virtuosic guitar player in same time.

He had a tint of jazz in many of his songs, and in hiphoppish Sexy M.F. (1992) his guitarist Levi Seacer even had a short jazzy guitar solo. With a funky Pelham Blue Epiphone Sheraton!

(The intro is a bit long, song starts in 1:40 and the solo about 4:40.)
    (Warning: might contain explicit lyrics

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    He had a tint of jazz in many of his songs
    Parade is my favourite album of his, which has lots of jazz influences I'd say. A lot of that has to do with the string arrangements by Clare Fischer. But there's a lot of very Ellington-ish chords and changes on that album (and also to a lesser extent on Around the World in a Day). One day I'll try a chord melody arrangement of 'Under the Cherry Moon' or 'Sometimes it snows in April', though really you'd want the melody line played by a lyrical saxophonist I reckon...

User Info Menu

Man, I'm all for people enjoying their own earned/accumulated wealth without hurting others, but at this time this kind of stuff seems kinda crazy and petty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Man, I'm all for people enjoying their own earned/accumulated wealth without hurting others, but at this time this kind of stuff seems kinda crazy and petty.
    Bragging rights sometimes don't come cheap....

User Info Menu

They never do, even if no money is involved,LOL!

As far as Prince, he was best at promoting himself as larger than life in all that he did. This was his best skill by far!
    It's not that he was really great at everything, but very good at most things. And that along with selling the image created quite an illusion to most people.

Also If you really listen to him, he tends to overdue it by quite a bit. He rarely starts his solos off slowly to tell a story. Same with his vocals, they scream quite a bit. I'm not sure if this always intentional either. Subtlety was definitely not his thing, LOL !

User Info Menu

In my view Prince was one of the most talented musicians, song writers and entertainers of our time. No, he wasn't a jazz guitarist, but that should not diminish his amazing rock/pop/RnB chops. Many say he was a creative genius, skilled on many instruments, even designing some of his far out guitars.

I would never pay a king's ransom for any guitar, but wouldn't mind having a piece of 'Princely' musical history hanging on my wall...even if it was his lowly Hohner Tele.

Even George Benson loved Prince enough to give him one of his own guitars.

User Info Menu

E ery generation needs their own hero's. For me it was Stevie Wonder, Jaco Pastorius, Weather Report, Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, Wes Montgomery, Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, and Johnny Carson for late night,lol!

Nice Pose for a Jazz Guitar,lol!