The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Asking for advice here, from great people on this forum, for me miles ahead in quality and knowledge.
    Looking forward getting a good hollowbody, my search is getting a little more precise.
    I have targeted three guitars, which could seem quite different, but these are the ones that really appeal to me :

* a 1972 Gibson ES150 DC
    * Eastman FV680
    * Maurice Dupont Bebop

So my inquiry would be on the Dupont, very little information on this instrument (well, virtually no information).
    Dupont is highly regarded for his Gypsy Jazz guitars. Very less known for his archtop.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    This subject is related to the Dupont, non the less I would be happy to hear from you on the two other guitars. Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dupont Bebop-jazz-archtop-dupont-3013242@2x-jpg

Here is the Dupont
    Mahogany neck, all maple laminated, 16' lower bout, ebony fingerboard

The price, new, is 3200€. I have the opportunity to get it for 1800€

The picture is the very guitar for sale

User Info Menu

Jeepers, that is beautiful! Reminiscent of Joe Pass's last Gibson guitar.

User Info Menu

Yes it's really a beautiful guitar
    Well I pulled the trigger, I'm getting it next week. I'll report my impressions.
    I was sent a lot of pictures and it's in great shape
    I was a bit nervous putting 3000€ in the Gibson ES150 DC, it's too much money for me, and the Eastman FV680, while a bit less (2500€), has a 25'75 scale length, which I'm less accustomed to for the complex chords I want to improve.

User Info Menu

Here more pictures of it

Dupont Bebop-image3-jpegDupont Bebop-image0-jpegDupont Bebop-image1-jpegDupont Bebop-image3-jpeg

User Info Menu

I hope it works out for you. Dupont make quality instruments, so you should be ok.

User Info Menu

I played a Dupont BeBop when Maurice was exhibiting his guitars at the Salon de la Belle Guitare during the Guitares au Beffroi event a couple years back. All of his guitars are really well made. From memory, I think his Belleville model is the direct ES-175 equivalent, whereas the BeBop is something different. It didn't seem Gibson derived. The Benedetti pickup in the one I played also contributed to that impression. Very nice guitar.

User Info Menu

I played a Dupont OM shape flattop guitar once: really nice. I tried it out just before i tried a few Collings Waterloo guitars of similar specs. The Dupont was much better in my opinion (and also about £500 cheaper)

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input
    So the Bebop isn't a recreation of some kind of Gibson Es165?
    What I find strange is that there is absolutely no sound examples of this guitar anywhere.

User Info Menu

And the pickup has been changed
    It's a Haussel pickup, a German boutique builder
    I had never heard of him before

User Info Menu

I found those few clips featuring two Dupont archtops, the Saint-Louis and one of the solid wood models

User Info Menu

Looks mega. I’ve never played a DuPont I haven’t liked, but haven’t tried the archtops.

the Lloyd models are SUPER interesting to me.

User Info Menu

Wow thanks for the vids
    I really like the St Louis sound, which is quite close to the Bebop, laminated.
    I'm getting it on Tuesday, a bit impatient I must admit. The guy told me he also has the TOM bridge that will be supplied, nice

User Info Menu

The Dupont Saint-Louis is the best ES-125 style guitar that anyone is currently making.

User Info Menu

Great video's! Thanks! I like the way Carter plays behind the solo's. I can't say anything on the Duponts, other than that the solid top would be my pick. But Euro 1800 seems like a very good deal for the Dupont Bebop. I would not choose an ES-150 DC. Jesse van Ruller played one for some time and I didn't like his tone then.