The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

I worry a bit people changing the pickups in their jazzmaster haven't fully experienced jazzmaster pickups...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I worry a bit people changing the pickups in their jazzmaster haven't fully experienced jazzmaster pickups...
    You’re making me want to pony up for the real deal.

User Info Menu

duncan antiquity I & II's are fave jazzmaster pups on the offset guitar forum

check them out if looking for great jm pups

I is jazzy 50's...II is more glassy surfy 60's

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Strats are bad and their players are bad also.

The telecaster thing is funny. Some horn players get really weirded out by anything that isn’t an archtop.
    I was surprised to get that in 2020. To be fair, a punter came up to me afterwards and was very complementary about my guitar. So it balances out in the end.

I hear Strat players don't tip and post inspirational quotes in social media. I do like Strat players like Richard Lloyd or Jeff Beck, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Remind those horn players that a Jaguar was OK for Joe Pass, so they need to chill.
    I was actually listening to his early albums like Catch Me and apparently he might have used it there? I recently learned to play his solo on Django from the For Django album (albeit significantly slower, we will see if I can get it up to speed) after obsessing about it for years.

For me the solo is easier to play on the Jaguar than on my Telecaster. The Jag is more percussive and metallic than the Tele IMO, but I see that as a feature of the guitar than a downside. The short scale makes longer stretches easier. It´s also great for crosspicking, rhythm guitar and jangly stuff like John Mcgeoch´s playing in Siouxie and the Banshees or Johnny Marr.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Maybe I should try one of these first: Jazzmaster Pickups, but a strat vibrato ... Looks cool, too.
    American Performer Jazzmaster | Fender

User Info Menu

David Gilmour, Andy Timmons, John Frusciante, Eric Johnson, Dave Simpson ......

Yeah .... They sound extremely boring. xD

BTW that mahogany chambered jazzmaster looks stunning, hope it sounds stunning as well.

User Info Menu

I've always liked this performance: Thor Madsen playing a Metheny-type blues on a JM:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena

Your reply suggests that you are a Strat owner; and therefore BAD.

User Info Menu

I'm just making fun of statement that Strat players are boring and bad. xD

I like to trashtalk statements like that. XD

It's nothing personal, just that statement is extremely stupid.

So next time, chose your words more wisely ... XD

User Info Menu

Love the Jazzcaster Tele/ Jazzmaster mashups. Wonderful idea of blending both into a very practical comfortable guitar. Don Grosh had tbis idea in variations called Electra Jets I believe, fantastic guitars!

Trick for me is getting a light enough weight that doesn't hurt my left shoulder. I'm kind of in a dilemma building an Alder solid body Tele at the moment. The body I finished, is 4 lb 8 ounces, which you would think would be light? Turns out to be closer to high 7lb range and with a strap a bit over 8lbs.

I'm trying to avoid semi hollow since I have that already with a G&L Asat Super already. Might have to go chambered body from Warmoth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Stop. I don’t need excuses to covet a surf green jazz master.
    Of course you don't. What you may want is a Seafoam Green Jaguar. Mine's in Black (it's a refin) but it's ergo as can be.

User Info Menu

BTW that mahogany chambered jazzmaster looks stunning, hope it sounds stunning as well.
    Add to that, Blackmore, Hendrix, Clapton, Malmsteen, Beck... You may not like them, but they all had and unmistakable style that many thousands of players sent a lot of time copying.

Oh, I always like the Jazzmaster, but all of the few I played had switches that snap, crackled and popped. In cereal I like it, but gits? Maybe not.
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 06-21-2020 at 11:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Have one of these on pre-order. MIJ, U shape neck, 25.5" scale, P90, and I almost always play seated so have high hopes. Always kinda sorta liked the Jazzmaster look but never wanted that odd tremolo set up. That and I'm a sucker for limba which makes it a bit less ubiquitous. Another month of waiting.

The jazzmaster Shape – is it really that comfortable?-fender-limited-edition-kori-aged-natural-1-jpg

User Info Menu

P.ayed a similar min model w a std Tele Bridge mahogany body. Heavy as all neck but loved the fat neck! Hopefully this will weigh less!

User Info Menu

I cannot I speak for Christian, just myself, in my sincere apology for offending Strats and Strat people. Systemic stratism is finally being recognized for the problem it is. I suppose if I had been joking, that would be just as bad, possibly worse, for treating such a serious issue with levity. Let's get back to some more modest proposals, but, perhaps, of a non-gustatory nature. Perhaps start by dealing with Strat appropriation: filling in all the Strat-shaped swimming pools; banning cutting boards and coffee tables shaped like Strats; and then move on to more useful matters, such as removing non-strat guitar tracks from access, or, better yet, re-recording them all with Strat profiles (I knew the Kemper would come in handy for something!). Getting back to the OP, the jury is still out regarding whether making Strats with Jazzmaster-shaped bodies will be permitted by the Central Scrutinizer. Clearly, Telemasters are not a problem.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-22-2020 at 12:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Danny W. is right...the Jazzmaster has always had a 25-1/2" scale. It's the Jaguar that has the short scale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    fmic/squier has just released this for summer 2020

cheers
    Telemaster? Teleguar? Jagcaster? Jazzcaster?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    well its a 25.5 scale so no jaguar reference ..jags are 24"...it officially being called

Squier Paranormal Offset Telecaster

399$ stateside

cheers

User Info Menu

This is the very definition of a Telemaster.
    Attached Images Attached Images The jazzmaster Shape – is it really that comfortable?-telemaster-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-22-2020 at 05:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Maybe it was a joke.

User Info Menu

I have a Squier Jagmaster (yes that is not a typo). It is a late 90s cheap guitar which sounds very good actually. I have a friend who has also has one who vastly prefers it to his actual Fender Jaguar. It's just simple and does the job..

User Info Menu

I've had my eye on the Original 60's Jazzmaster in sunburst for a while now. There's been one at a local music store for months now. But then they came out with the "Ultra" model, simpler electronics and I like the neck better.
    Can't bring myself to spend $2K on one, though.

Last fall, while traveling through the Hudson Valley, I stopped in a store that had a vintage Jazzmaster- i plugged into a vintage Twin Reverb....now THAT was tone. I don't usually care about that stuff, but i was impressed.

User Info Menu

ted greene w the jm

cheers

User Info Menu

Mine has arrived. A made in Japan (MIJ) offset telecaster in korina (white limba) with a pair of P90's. Lots of pictures online so I'll spare you my questionable photographic skills. Regardless of marketing, this is a Jazzmaster, not a Tele. And actually a quite nice one. A few initial observations:

- The U neck is great for those who don't care for skinny necks. I prefer a 43mm width vs. the 42mm but the U shape and 10" radius helps with the feel. A neck I can live with.

- The Fender P90's sound pretty good

- Wish I could mix the front and back rather than just selecting front/both/back. Often like the neck pickup with just a little bridge mixed in. Could rewire it. Can always roll off the treble downstream.

- Comfortable shape sitting or standing. Very high cutaway.

- Workmanship was flawless as far as I can tell. Looked it over pretty close. Couldn't find a single thing.

- Lowered the action. Might take the nut down a little. Frets are quite good.

- Nut sluts are wide for a guitar that comes with light strings. Put Tomastik Infield .012 rounds with a plain G on as a starting point. Nut seems like it was already cut for a larger gauge.

- High quality gig bags (Mono, Fusion) are generally too short on the inside for the Jazzmaster. Ended up ordering a rotomolded Fender Jazzmaster case. Added $200 to the transaction but the OEM bag is suitable for shipping in a well padded box only. Not sure what other cases might fit. Something to consider as part of the purchase.

- It's on the heavy side but OK with a wider strap. About like a PRS. 8.8lbs according to my not-very-accurate luggage scale. Contributes to the solid feel and tone I think. Glad I don't have to stand for a 3 or 4 hour gig with any weight guitar.

- Chicago Music Exchange did everything on their end they were supposed to do. Transaction/packing.. all good.

No regrets on this purchase. Nice looking guitar (avarice, greed..).
    Last edited by Spook410; 07-08-2020 at 08:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Regarding OP, yes.

Picture the scene, ole' Jazzbow strumming his J Mascis J Master slung around his neck on a long strap, pivoting on his right hip, legs straight ahead and crossed foot over foot, purched on his Roland Cube 60 with a cigarette protruding from pouted lips with wisps of smoke curling up toward the rehearsal room ceiling.
    A snapshot of sonic serenity comping changes with free flowing fingers finding gracious grips!
    Ahhh.....

Man and musical instrument reaching a confluence of perfect balance in tone and taste. The mind free forming lines and chords without the cumbersom shackled weight of wood.

Bliss

Like a pair of comfy slippers!

YMMV bien sur

The jazzmaster Shape – is it really that comfortable?-sdc11277-480x640-jpg