The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 56

User Info Menu

Corona times – youtube times. Our organ player introduced me to Cory Henry and in my quarantine and later on I was watching a lot of videos from his band "The Funk Apostels" – we can't really go out and see a band playing these days ... Great band playing funk with an artsy jazz approach (the songs sound a bit different every time). Wonderful keyboard playing and also sounds from Moog and Prophet synthesizers – I wouldn't have thought I dig it that much, but check out this if you are interested:

Anyway I saw that the guitar player Adam Agati – who also plays with Marcus Miller – uses these quirky jazzmaster shaped guitars – not the Fenders with all the switching overkill and peculiar tremolo and bridge, but "boutique" variations on the theme with "reasonable" electronic and hardware. Now I find myself interested in this shape – thinking about making one for myself. I have a new band project coming (looking forward for the first rehearsal in 2020 for me on sunday!) and I found out I can't really use an archtop to fit in, so I'll use a telecaster – it's a funk band. This fostered a renewed interest in solid body guitars as did boredom due to the lockdown.

Is anybody using a guitar with this jazzmaster shape?
    Is it really as comfortable to play as the internet says?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, it really is as comfortable to play as the internet says.
    The trick is simply to find or make a light one, which is not hard.
    Here's one I'm working on right now.

Last edited by Hammertone; 06-20-2020 at 08:18 AM.

User Info Menu

He plays a Fano Alt de Facto JM6, a perfectly good guitar which is damaged in the factory to create the impression that it is old.

User Info Menu

For me – very much so. I have a Johnny Marr Jaguar that is my "jazz guitar" at the moment. The humbucking mode sounds actually pretty jazzy. I wonder what they would say at the local jam if/when I bring it in. An elder trumpet player teased me about my Telecaster and asked where I left the soundhole.. So my Jag might induce a stroke.

Anyway, back to the shape. The Jaguar body shape wraps around nicely and I wear it pretty high. I find it very ergonomic. It also puts my right hand in a very comfortable position for picking and ditto for left hand fingering.

YMMV, though. I have never gelled with Strats and find them awkward.

User Info Menu

Stop. I don’t need excuses to covet a surf green jazz master.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezebox
    For me – very much so. I have a Johnny Marr Jaguar that is my "jazz guitar" at the moment. The humbucking mode sounds actually pretty jazzy. I wonder what they would say at the local jam if/when I bring it in. An elder trumpet player teased me about my Telecaster and asked where I left the soundhole.. So my Jag might induce a stroke.

Anyway, back to the shape. The Jaguar body shape wraps around nicely and I wear it pretty high. I find it very ergonomic. It also puts my right hand in a very comfortable position for picking and ditto for left hand fingering.

YMMV, though. I have never gelled with Strats and find them awkward.
    Strats are bad and their players are bad also.

The telecaster thing is funny. Some horn players get really weirded out by anything that isn’t an archtop.

User Info Menu

Nothing more comfy seated.

Standing, my tele is better.

User Info Menu

Is the jazzmaster the guitar equivalent of elasticated trousers?

User Info Menu

I think 24" scale is much more comfortable for me then body shape.
    I have a thing for short scale. 25.5" is overkill for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Dress pants with a hidden drawstring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena
    I think 24" scale is much more comfortable for me then body shape.
    I have a thing for short scale. 25.5" is overkill for me.
    Jazzmasters are 25.5" scale.

User Info Menu

Both old onces, Jaguar and Jazzmaster are 24".
    I'm sucker for 24.5" of PRS Single Cut 245.
    I know newer onces are 25.5".

User Info Menu

Super comfortable, especially when chambered to within an inch of its life and built with a 24.75” scale. With TI 12 flats, this mahogany-bodied, maple-topped bastard thunks like an ES-175 with an overall sound that is part Tele, part ES-335.

The jazzmaster Shape – is it really that comfortable?-img_8493-jpgThe jazzmaster Shape – is it really that comfortable?-img_8375-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena
    Both old onces, Jaguar and Jazzmaster are 24".
    I'm sucker for 24.5" of PRS Single Cut 245.
    I know newer onces are 25.5".
    Jazzmasters have always had a 25.5" scale.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Super comfortable, especially when chambered to within an inch of its life and built with a 24.75” scale. With TI 12 flats, this mahogany-bodied, maple-topped bastard thunks like an ES-175 with an overall sound that is part Tele, part ES-335.

The jazzmaster Shape – is it really that comfortable?-img_8493-jpgThe jazzmaster Shape – is it really that comfortable?-img_8375-jpg
    Jazzmaster with a CC pickup? I never knew I wanted one. But I want it now and I want it in surf green.

User Info Menu

Remind those horn players that a Jaguar was OK for Joe Pass, so they need to chill.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Remind those horn players that a Jaguar was OK for Joe Pass, so they need to chill.
    I'm not entirely sure they would know who Joe Pass was.

User Info Menu

Jazzmaster with a CC pickup? I never knew I wanted one. But I want it now and I want it in surf green.
    I think it looks kinda awkward with the humbucker sized mismatch pickup, but I can’t bring myself to ruin the top by either routing more or installing a pick guard.

User Info Menu

longtime jazzmaster fan and user..my fave fender...the fender jazzmaster pup doesn't need replacing...it's a great pickup..fenders reinvention of the p90...has magnet polepieces and wide bobbin for great interaction between strings and pup...great pup...warm, responsive, clear...

also jm body was designed to be ergonomic (ala 50's)...it's a comfy guitar sitting or standing

the other important factor is, on the originals, it has the 2 separate volume and tone circuits for just the neck pickup..a jazzers dream...can get 2 distinct tones/volumes from the neck pup at the flick of a switch...

if you don't like the 25.5 scale (it always was on jm ^) you can try the same body but with a 24" scale-the jaguar!!

jaguars good too, but has different narrower bobbin brighter focused pups

cheers

User Info Menu

I think it looks kinda awkward with the humbucker sized mismatch pickup, but I can’t bring myself to ruin the top by either routing more or installing a pick guard.
    I think I'd want a single pickup or maybe a tele style bridge....

User Info Menu

I think I'd want a single pickup or maybe a tele style bridge....
    DM me If you’re interested—I can put you in touch with the guy who built mine.

User Info Menu

fmic/squier has just released this for summer 2020

cheers

User Info Menu

DM me If you’re interested—I can put you in touch with the guy who built mine.
    Haha, don't have any money, and it's a one in one out policy at the moment. But thanks.

User Info Menu

Stop. I don’t need excuses to covet a surf green jazz master.
    Please. Sea Foam Green. TOTALLY different.

Please. Sansabelt trousers. Best in a lovely tan stretch gabardine, worn with white loafers.
    The Original Sansabelt |35,000 pair in stock|Waist Sizes 30-70 - SANSABELT.COM

Strats are bad and their players are bad also....
    On this, we can agree. Horrible people playing horrible guitars. Perhaps a suitably Swiftian solution can be found for this outrage.

User Info Menu

Ask yourself not, could that be an idea, but instead, how could that not be an idea?