The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 171 of 171

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    The crux with bedroom levels is the minimum „heat“ a tube amp needs to sound good. Even a 5 watter gets really loud if the tubes run at their sweet spot (e.g. Champ at 7-8, guitar volume turned down to achieve the perfect pick dynamic between clean and dirt).

Those amps sound good at lower levels but not to compare if turned up. Some like it hot ;-)
    I'm not sure if I buy the "heating" the tubes argument. Tubes get hot even at idle volumes. I think it's one of those internet legends. What's real is, it's more fun to play when speakers are pushing more air. That's true whether it's a solid state amp or a tube amp. I like Henriksen's in "cooking" volumes more than at the "don't wake up the girlfriend" volumes too. But never at ear hurting levels.

So the real question is if one finds DV Mark to sound better than a Champ at the same low volume level. I don't think that's a given for everybody. But most will find that both amps sound better when played louder than at the bedroom levels.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 07-22-2020 at 08:04 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The fact that I don’t really like how Fender amps sound when turned up to gig volumes is one of the reasons I suspect I don’t really like tube amps.
    That's really the thing... a tube amp at "reasonable" volumes (like it or hate it), does NOT sound like a tube amp turned up to gig volumes (altho in today's 2020 world, "gig volumes" are a lot less volume than they used to be...) This is precisely why I became interested in solid state amps for gigging... researched, and purchased a Roland Cube Artist. I didn't even purchase it for it's "tone capsule" tech... I purchased it for basically 2 reasons:

-it's MUCH lighter than a same-sized tube amp
    -it sounds THE SAME AT ANY VOLUME (and loud enough for any gig).

No more bringing "the right size tube amp for the job", this thing does ANY job. And it sounds GREAT. And it FEELS like a tube amp. I think Roland has cracked the code (and by all reports, so has Fender with their Tonemaster series). I'll never give up my beloved tube amps, but I know with the Roland, I can take it anywhere, any size gig, and it'll always sound THE SAME.

User Info Menu

I used to play a bluescube some 20 years ago. Is the concept and sound pretty much the same?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I used to play a bluescube some 20 years ago. Is the concept and sound pretty much the same?
    I can't say, but solid state and modeling amp tech has come a LONG way in 20 years... the Artist is so good, I dare anyone to tell the difference between it and a tube amp, blindfolded. (and as for Fender's Tonemasters, I've seen people LOSE those dares. Even PREFERRING the TM over the tube amp)

User Info Menu

If i get a change i’ll check out the bluescube hot.

No the newer Roland Blues Cube amps have nothing to do with the original ones. I had an old Roland BC30 combo with a single 12" speaker in it. Not a bad amp but just not quite enough headroom for the type of music I was playing (in a band) at the time. There were better solid state combos out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I'm not sure if I buy the "heating" the tubes argument. Tubes get hot even at idle volumes. I think it's one of those internet legends. What's real is, it's more fun to play when speakers are pushing more air. That's true whether it's a solid state amp or a tube amp. I like Henriksen's in "cooking" volumes more than at the "don't wake up the girlfriend" volumes too. But never at ear hurting levels.

So the real question is if one finds DV Mark to sound better than a Champ at the same low volume level. I don't think that's a given for everybody. But most will find that both amps sound better when played louder than at the bedroom levels.
    ‚Tube heat‘ wasn‘t meant literally- of course they get hot at any volume. But there‘s the point when the tube works hard, that‘s what I meant. And as I‘ve stated somewhere above, speakers need to push some air to sound really good, absolutely.
    Bedroom level isn‘t the same for everyone...I‘ve found the interaction between guitar volume/attack and the dynamic reaction of the tubes is not to beat, that’s why I‘m a „tube guy“. Nevertheless there are some tube amps that sounds good at real low volumes.

User Info Menu

update!
    It seems that the laney is favourite after all! The LJ just doesn't sound right to me. I keep 'missing' something. I keep adjusting the eq not getting the tone i would like. The laney is closer. I probably like tubes more. For now i keep the laney and sell the dv mark.

What i miss though, is a volume/master volume. I tried an od-pedal, but that just doesn't sound the way i want. I'll be keeping my eyes open to a nice little amp. Maybe a vibrochamp or a vox ac4. I saw that Koch has a Classic se 6, which can be switched to 2 watts!

Options.

User Info Menu

I told you!
    Champs or Vibrochamps are fantastic amps, but they are everything but quieter compared to the Laney. And honestly- the Laney cub8 sounds very very close to a SF/BF Champ, that‘s why I like this bargain tube amp so much. Try a real good overdrive pedal if you want more grit on that amp- I really like the Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD, it‘s more or less a booster but sounds amazing organic. Use the low input on the Laney and swap that nasty stock speaker for a Warehouse G8C. You‘ll rub your eyes (or ears).

EDIT: if you want to reduce the volume of a tube amp for 50% you need to reduce the wattage 10 times!

User Info Menu

But the function of the tone knob is still a mistery to me. You'd expect it to manage bright or treble, but that is not the only thing it does. The sound changes when dialed, but not sure what's happening. At first it's treble, but dialing it further there seems to be more mids and/or gain. Confusing.

User Info Menu

But the function of the tone knob is still a mistery to me. You'd expect it to manage bright or treble, but that is not the only thing it does. The sound changes when dialed, but not sure what's happening. At first it's treble, but dialing it further there seems to be more mids and/or gain. Confusing.
    That‘s pretty common for class A amps. It also depends on the volume.

User Info Menu

Another update!
    I remember why i hate knobs on things. They make my life difficult.

I'll keep the LJ. And that's final. I think . . . . The cub 8 is for sale (anyone?). The cub is a nice but limited amp. It reminded me of what i liked about tubes. The LJ is adjustable, has a reverb, headphone output and sounds great once u get to know it.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for an amp with a volume/master volume that is as great as the LJ on the clean side but offers a nice od. I'm not in a hurry. Right now i am studying jazz standards and don't really need an od.
    Last edited by Marcel_A; 08-29-2020 at 09:13 AM.

User Info Menu

I found that a good EQ (I have the Empress ParaEQ) makes the LJ sound even better, or at least more tweakable. I had a gig two weeks ago which turned out to be quite loud. I cut down on some boomy frequencies on the EQ and the LJ sounded great. It's really a wonderful little amp.

User Info Menu

I don’t want more tweakable! That’s what i liked about the cub: it is what it is.

User Info Menu

Might be out of your budget but you're description fits the Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb perfectly. Great amp. You might be able to get a used one for a little more than the upper range of your budget...maybe $600? Might have to save a little extra but it would be really worth it. They're pretty amazing amps.

User Info Menu

I use a Bugera V5 Infinium, tube, low number of pots, reverb, 5W + built in attenuator to go 1 W or 0.1 W
    Bonus: Cool visuals

Bugera V5 Infinium – Thomann United States

Guitar Amp for Low Volumes-8833568_800-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Might be out of your budget but you're description fits the Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb perfectly. Great amp. You might be able to get a used one for a little more than the upper range of your budget...maybe $600? Might have to save a little extra but it would be really worth it. They're pretty amazing amps.
    i bought a little jazz, but in the future i will set aside a somewhat larger budget. The tonemaster seems like a good option second hand (although it has many knobs).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I use a Bugera V5 Infinium, tube, low number of pots, reverb, 5W + built in attenuator to go 1 W or 0.1 W
    Bonus: Cool visuals

Bugera V5 Infinium – Thomann United States

I had one for just under a month. It sounded really good when I changed out the preamp tube for an 12AY7. But it developed a horrible tube rattle in the power tube. Guitar center wouldn’t repair it or discount a replacement tube of another brand, all I could do was send it back for factory repair or return it, so I returned it. The only thing it did better than the ‘56 Magnatone Varsity that I was borrowing from my brother was the effects loop and the low power mode. But in the end, I bought a Quilter Interblock 45 and never looked back.

User Info Menu

The amp I use for quiet practice is a Crate GFX15. These sold new for under $100 and are usually sold now for $40 or less.

It's a terrific sounding amp. Mine is not reliable enough for gigs any more, but back in the day, I got the best sound I ever had on a gig by micing thru a good PA.

I also think that the LJ, which is what I gigged with when there were gigs before Covid, sounds great at low volume -- and sounds good pretty loud too. I just saw it for $329, which is a good price.

Will it sound better than a Princeton or whatever? I don't know. I don't care that much about that sort of thing. If I can get my sound, I'm happy. The possibiity exists that in an A/B comparison with some other amp, I might like the other one better, but that will always be true. If it sounds good and I can forget about it and just think about music, I'm done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by v281
    Other amps that fit your criteria and you might wish to consider:
    - Boss Katana 50
    - Yamaha THR10
    The only downside to the Katanas are that they are actually pretty heavy. Great sound at low volume, though. I got one as a Father's Day gift and really enjoying it.

User Info Menu

I prefer playing jazz tones at low volumes through my Ampeg bass amp. Its clean, warm and sounds pretty consistent at all volumes below 12 o clock. Just scoop some mids and roll off some bass on the EQ.
    for jazz tone purposed I've not found an amp set up I like more. I even play blues rock through it.. it's a clean tone dream machine

I even get incredible drive out of it ( with pedals)

Cons.
    It has some weight to it so not ideal for moving around ( mine stays put)

Has zero included effect, other than EQ.. but I'm a pedal guy so it's no problem for me

Hope this helps and didnt veer to far off course