The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 171

User Info Menu

Oke, good thing i'm not hurrying into a new amp. I've missed a few developments.
    I checked out video's of this Nextone and i'm pretty amazed by the stuff i come across. There really seems no need to keep the bluescube on my list. I really like the fact that the amp offers different tube-settings. I really prefer that to amps that offer modelings of different amps. The choice for a delay/reverb and not a modulation section is a good choice to i.m.o.

i don't see them used . . . . maybe increase the budget a little.
    Last edited by Marcel_A; 06-25-2020 at 03:22 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oké the 'final' list . . . .

I reconsidered the OD-pedal dilemma. I came to the conclusion that opting out on a pedal was not such a good idea. There are a few great one-chanell amps that require one.

1. D.V. Little Jazz
    2. Roland JC 22, (the 40 has some kind of distortion, wich is a pro, but is too expensive new). The chorus is delicious ofcourse, but addictive.
    3. Roland Blues Cube or even better the Boss Nextone
    4. Fender pro junior (although i am worried this one will sound to loud)
    5. Blackstar HT 5 mark ii
    6. Laney cub8 (although the cub 10 is going new for pretty much my budget)
    Last edited by Marcel_A; 06-28-2020 at 04:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Again I can only suggest the Laney cub8. Meanwhile I‘ve swapped the stock tubes, the speaker for the Warehouse G8C and the stock baffle for a floating lightweight plywood baffle (and the grillcloth, but that’s just cosmetics). The result is fantastic. This little amp sounds simply amazing, honestly at least in the same tonal quality range like my vintage Silverface Champ. Wonderful 6V6 smokey vintage american cleans!
    Guitar Amp for Low Volumes-4141400d-185e-41da-8c65-4ad75cf3f883-jpg
    With my Thinline it‘s easy to get that Julian Lage tone at reasonable levels (unfortunately not his virtuosity ). The G8C sounds big like a 10“ speaker. Again- this amp is one of my best discoveries!

User Info Menu

i forgot about the laney. It's should have been on the list. Affordable and simple!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    i forgot about the laney. It's should have been on the list. Affordable and simple!
    Buy one 2nd hand, swap tubes and speaker and you‘re done. All you need more is a reverb pedal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff
    Buy one 2nd hand, swap tubes and speaker and you‘re done. All you need more is a reverb pedal!
    A question: how loud is the cub8? i'm worried that tube-amps get too loud too easy and since the only one i can buy right now is the cubsuper10. That one is 10 watt. What's your guess? Too loud or acceptable at practicing levels?

User Info Menu

A question: how loud is the cub8? i'm worried that tube-amps get too loud too easy and since the only one i can buy right now is the cubsuper10. That one is 10 watt. What's your guess? Too loud or acceptable at practicing levels?
    Not too loud, sounds darn good at low volumes (but can get loud if you want to!). Can‘t speak for the cub10, for sure a different beast.

User Info Menu

I’ve ended up using my little Roland mobile Cube which sounds good for practice and teaching.

i also really like my BAM200 on all fronts. I plug into and H&K 10” cab, but a TOOB is on its way this week

User Info Menu

Our own Jeff Matz has extolled the virtues of the little Microcube.... he uses the Brit Combo (AC30) model and I've been doing the same since he talked about it... it works really well, and bonus: it can run on batteries so I can take it out on the patio or to the fire pit if I want.

Roland Microcube Tele Jazz

from Mr. Beaumont: works great!!!

Tele neck of course
    VOX model, gain around 9:00
    Tone around 10:30

that’s it! The mids signature of the Vox lends itself towards the “hollower sound” of an archtop.

Nicely done, Mr. Beaumont!!

User Info Menu

i don't get the enormous diference in price comparing Laney and Fender. A Supercub 10 is available for €350 new, while a Fender Blues Junior is €300 more expensive! (for a more fair comparison: de Cub12 is also €350).

trouble is for convenience i'd like a SS amp, but for some 'tones' i'd really like a tube-amp.
    Last edited by Marcel_A; 06-28-2020 at 12:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Again- only you know what you want. If you are looking for bedroom levels every tube amp over 5 watts is too loud. You always need to tinker the tubes with the volume knob
    The Blues Junior is a loud (!) amp with everything but Fenderycleans due to the EL84 tubes. By the way, it’s PCB board is known for it‘s more or less lousy construction.
    The cub 10 and of course cub 12 are also too loud for your needs.

I‘ve got no suggestion for a solid state or digital amp since I‘m a nerd for tube tones.

User Info Menu

Well the cub12 has a <1 watt input. That's a plus for that amp.
    But you're probably right about the 5 watt limit.

User Info Menu

^ Attenuation is just a compromise. Again, you need some heat in the tubes and the speaker should move some air!

User Info Menu

Another question:
    Has anyone any experience with a 1 watt amp?

User Info Menu

Another question:
    Has anyone any experience with a 1 watt amp?
    I have a Blackheart Killer Ant head, it's a single 12AX7 tube amp- actually less than 1 Watt. Very nice Marshall-like sounds when overdriven and appropriate for home volumes. The clean sound is nice when played through a high sensitivity speaker ( e.g Eminence Wizard or Cannabis Rex) or when the environment is very quiet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    I have a Blackheart Killer Ant head, it's a single 12AX7 tube amp- actually less than 1 Watt. Very nice Marshall-like sounds when overdriven and appropriate for home volumes. The clean sound is nice when played through a high sensitivity speaker ( e.g Eminence Wizard or Cannabis Rex) or when the environment is very quiet.
    the Killer Ant is great!
    i had one that I modified by adding a switch to lift the tone stack and make it a little cleaner, I also swapped in a lower gain preamp tube and it made it surprisingly versatile

User Info Menu

I never ever considered a vox amp, but the AC4 seems like a nice one?

User Info Menu

Have you considered a small solid-state amp like the 44 Magnum or Quilter’s Microblock 45 / Interblock 45? The second video by JayLeonardJ is the reason I bought mine. It really keeps the same tone no matter what volume you use, plus line out/headphone out option.

User Info Menu

No, didn't consider it. I did consider this one:

Guitar Amp for Low Volumes-schermafbeelding-2020-07-03-om-07-02-02-pngProblem is i need a cab then. Not sure i wanna go that way.

User Info Menu

Not too overwhelm, but I love small amps and I have owned in the past year:

DV Little Jazz
    Henriksen Bud
    Harmony 8418 reissue
    Fender 57 Custom Champ
    ZT lunchbox jr

the Bud is great, and can do quiet very well

the DV Jazz was also really nice, not as many tonal options as the Bud, but that is part of what I liked about it. I use to have it sitting on my nightstand for jamming while sitting in bed watching Netflix

Harmony 8418 - very quiet, very underrated - definitely has more character than any of the others. It does a gentle octal grind at low volumes (bedroom level) but does not get too crazy. Truly PTP wiring, and a nice Italian Jensen. Sounds most “Tubey”

Fender 57 custom champ - smaller in size and wattage than a pro jr. - even though champs tend to be though of as distortion machines, this variant with the 12ay7 does not break up easily/or at bedroom volumes. I was surprised at how loud and clean it was, but it had noticeably less character than the 8418

ZT lunchbox is pretty nice for the size, the tones are round and pleasing, but I found that it did not hold together with hunbuckers that well

one last suggestion worth checking out would be the Valvetrain 205C - it’s a Zzounds/AMS special version of a 5f2 Princeton

out of all, my favorites were also the cheapest

Harmony 8418
    DV Mark

both are no frills, good sounding small amps - and out of all of them these are the ones I would gladly purchase at full price again

as always ymmv

User Info Menu

The DV LJ is first on my list.
    Some of the amps you mention don't seem to be available in holland. Or at least hard.
    Right now i think it's between the little jazz, the laney cub10 (8 doesn't seem to be available) or the vox ac4. I'm looking for a place i can try at least two of them. That's not that easy.

User Info Menu

If you do try, or buy, the Little Jazz, be aware that because of the rear port it's very much affected by position, both horizontal and vertical. Flat on the floor it has a lot of bass, but that can be fixed by turning down the bass control. Moving it just a few inches, maybe just a couple, nearer to or further from a wall can give a large difference in tone. Elevating it also changes the tone, and removes a lot of the bass. Fortunately the tone controls are very effective, and moving them just a few degrees can have much effect. Move it around and listen before you reject it, and don't be afraid to adjust the tone controls. I usually have it set near flat, but with different guitars I may need to make some adjustments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If you do try, or buy, the Little Jazz, be aware that because of the rear port it's very much affected by position, both horizontal and vertical. Flat on the floor it has a lot of bass, but that can be fixed by turning down the bass control. Moving it just a few inches, maybe just a couple, nearer to or further from a wall can give a large difference in tone. Elevating it also changes the tone, and removes a lot of the bass. Fortunately the tone controls are very effective, and moving them just a few degrees can have much effect. Move it around and listen before you reject it, and don't be afraid to adjust the tone controls. I usually have it set near flat, but with different guitars I may need to make some adjustments.
    I am another fan of the LJ. My settings are bass all the way off, or close. Middle at noon. Treble slightly below noon. I like it flat on the floor. I agree with sgosnell though about the sensitivity of the amp to position with respect to floor and wall.

I would add that it sounds fine played quietly at home, and it sounds good played loud enough for a big band (with nobody mic'ed).

It doesn't sound all that different my vintage Reverberocket. I think the LJ has a little better definition on chords, so the Reverberocket now sits in a closet.

It usually sells for about $360, but I have seen it for less during a sale. I think it's a great value.

User Info Menu

Oke, this went fast all of a sudden. It turned out a shop nearby had a Laney Cub8 on stock. I picked it up for €170,-.
    Nice little amp and well within my budget. Trouble of course is i need an OD at one point.

@ Stefan, thanks for the suggestion! Any suggestions how to set it up? I'm a bit confused by all those knobs . . .
    Maybe a suggestion on an OD-pedal? I just need an edge.
    Last edited by Marcel_A; 07-04-2020 at 01:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Oke, this went fast all of a sudden. It turned out a shop nearby had a Laney Cub8 on stock. I picked it up for €170,-.
    Nice little amp and well within my budget. Trouble of course is i need an OD at one point.

@ Stefan, thanks for the suggestion! Any suggestions how to set it up? I'm a bit confused by all those knobs . . .
    Maybe a suggestion on an OD-pedal? I just need an edge.
    Good decision, congrats!
    I hope you like this little amp- now swap the Ruby tubes for quality tubes (the Tungsol 12AX7 sounds perfect in this amp) and get a Warehouse G8C. You‘ll be surprised!
    I don‘t use an overdrive pedal at the moment (playing the Laney at 7-8/ low input is exactly what I love with my Thinline Telly), just a HOF for some reverb goodness. But I‘ve made good experiences with the Mad Professor Sweet Honey, very nice and natural overdrive. The morning Glory is also a great OD pedal.