The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 59

User Info Menu

I couple of recent threads made me think about other areas/interests/avocations/hobbies/sports/self-entertainment where folks are obsessed by gear. Wanting that latest (or vintage) and greatest. *Not talking about collecting things.* What makes you do or experience "your thing" better, by buying (or wishing for) (often questionable) better gear?

I can think of (add to the list):

fishing gear
    home audio gear
    golf gear
    photography gear
    woodworking gear

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have succumbed to lust for 'objects' for their sheer beauty or the beauty of their utility, or both.

Sometimes this involves a fair amount of informed, discriminant taste, sometimes not.

My weakness include musical instruments, film photography & motorcycles.

I am not a rich guy so I consider myself very fortunate to have dabbled in these things.

Also, men in particular love complex systems & assemblages.
    Last edited by rabbit; 06-10-2020 at 07:31 PM.

User Info Menu

The only purchase I can remember making in pursuit of 'better' concerned one of the camera systems I used for work, and even then it was simply due to the battery life being terrible.

e: and a guitar upgrade was when I put a set of noiseless pickups in my Telecaster.

User Info Menu

I am a cyclist and runner. I just love looking at new running shoes and bikes. Age makes running different for me now that 25 years ago, but on the bike I am still trying gear to make the ride as fast and smooth as possible.

Oh, some carbon rims to build a cool wheelset. What is offered?

User Info Menu

Astronomy. I would go whole hog into super high end telescopes and peripherals if I had the means. I am lucky enough to have a really decent all-purpose reflector and go-to mount. I love looking at the planets especially.

User Info Menu

I can attest to Fishing and Golf.
    My goodness.

User Info Menu

Trombones

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Trombones
    Ory lives!

User Info Menu

Fly fishing - the most efficient way ever invented to separate a fool from his money.

Backpacking gear.

At one point, motorcycles.

User Info Menu

I just can’t stop buying planes.

OT Better Gear Madness-1560d789-209a-4be6-ab95-3420a75ecb5c-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's another example but this time away from work.
    Last year I upgraded my weight training equipment. That meant replacing cast iron weight disks with fixed weight dumbbells. They range from about 1kg and rise in regular increments to 25kg and they're in pairs. But look at what gyms being closed has done to prices.
    One dumbbell now -

Two dumbbells last year -

So right now 90 GBP for one, while back then 100 GBP for two. 'Whatever the market can stand' - fair enough, that's the way it rolls. But I'm glad I bought them last year because I wouldn't pay the current going rate.

User Info Menu

Being left handed, I love quality left handed fountain pens.

User Info Menu

Espresso machines and grinders!!

User Info Menu

Other than music gear, camping gear (backpacking actually), and firearms/ammo.

User Info Menu

It’s an election year. Hoping to “buy” better politicians.

User Info Menu

Salt water aquariums....a big money pit with much "gear" envy and lust.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    It’s an election year. Hoping to “buy” better politicians.
    Unfortunately, I just don't have enough money to join that club and unlike a guitar you don't play it, it plays you.

User Info Menu

Fly fishing. Talk about cool, overbuilt, and expensive that you don't really need to just catch fish.

User Info Menu

I have a stable of three motorcycles-a Ducati 999S, a Ducati 900 SS/SP, and a Triumph Tiger. There is always something to spend money and time on these girls. Recently I had the suspension on all three tweeked and readjusted for my current weight as I've lost a few pounds. My girlfriend surprised me with a new carbon fiber helmet for my birthday-less weight equals less fatigue.

OT Better Gear Madness-999s-0n-33-jpgOT Better Gear Madness-900ss-245-jpgOT Better Gear Madness-kern-mindi-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I just can’t stop buying planes.

OT Better Gear Madness-1560d789-209a-4be6-ab95-3420a75ecb5c-jpg
    Seriously Who can resist a solid B-52 at a bargain price. Let the other bands travel in a bus, your band can travel in a bomber!

User Info Menu

1) science fiction books (1,000+ and growing all the time)
    2) Wine (300+ bottles and part owner of a Burgundy vinyard)
    3) Quality crystal (Baccarat, Saint Louis, Lalique.....)
    4) "Modest" guitar collection (10, including mandolin +bass)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Being left handed, I love quality left handed fountain pens.
    Cosmic Gumbo is known for his wit here but don't laugh too early on this one. Fountain pen nerds (of course I'm not one, oh no) will know that fountain pen nibs comes in several variants of which one is "Oblique Stub" or "Oblique Italic" which again comes in obliqueness for right handed and for left handed persons. Those who can't live without knowing more about it that can google it.

As far as gear madness goes, I don't think that I'm too far out that route. A month ago I bought the first new guitar in 8 years - it was a Squier Tele meant for a customizing project just for the fun of it. My other expensive hobby is photography. I used Nikon DSLRs for many years but switched to Sony A7X four years ago as osteoarthrosis made it necessarey to go down in bulk and weight. The Sony A7X cameras takes my old Leica M lenses nicely and make a very compact and light setup possible. Very recently I bought a Sony A9 (which has been superseeded by the A9II and was offered at a reduiced price) and a Tamron autofocus lens as I simply couldn't follow my granddaughter (now 10 months old) with the Manual focus lenses. However, I'll continue to use my old Leica lenses for almost everything but fast moving subjects. I can't see myself taking big autofocus zooms with me on travels anymore. An A7X body with a 35mm Leica Summicron M type IV and a 90mm Tele-Elmarit in the pocket and I'm ready for a day in the city.
    Last edited by oldane; 06-12-2020 at 09:06 AM.

User Info Menu

SierraTango,

Nice bikes ('n stuff)!

Guess you can't be all bad.

User Info Menu

Fly fishing and photography for me.

Having gone through a major downsizing a couple of years ago (4 bedroom house with lots of storage to a 2 bedroom city apartment with no storage), I've adopted the philosophy of having one (or at most two) nice examples within each hobby group. I went from having about 5 modern fly rods of different weights (and about 20 vintage bamboo rods) down to one 5 weight rod. Now I've just to find a place to fish!

In terms of photography, I'm down to two cameras: my Leica M9 and a Sony A6000. The Leica goes with me on our travels and sometimes around town; the $300 Sony is my walk-around camera.

In terms of guitars, I'd love to be a one-guitar guy. I have a Campellone archtop, and two classicals. Ultimately, I may end up with one nylon string hybrid that bridges the gap for me. Just gotta get there.

User Info Menu

Computer "gear," upgrading my home computers to be able to handle just about any program or game. Also, the software that allows you to learn guitar, make wonderful sketches or drawings, record songs, etc...

Also, home audio equipment to play streamed music throughout, or in specific areas of the house - with nice speakers.

Exercise gear that allows one to exercise specific parts of the body or a good, high quality treadmill and exercise bike with great programs. Would love to have a nice, exercise room to battle "father time." Dumbells and other weights can get expensive - I am watching Craigslist...