The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

There is a very small amount of info out about these.... who knows them? has owned them? not the lastest ones with the floating pickup, but the Westerley era 2 Humbucker version?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have owned one. Great laminate 175 type guitar. Very nice necks. Rims are thinner than a 175.

User Info Menu

I have a single-pup 150 made in Corona Ca. that's a great 16 x 3 Maple lam gigging guitar. I've played Westerly guilds and found no real difference unless you get back into the 80's. Mine plays great, & sounds great. Built very well and I love the neck. I recently put the stock pickup back after trying several other different pups and it sounds great for jazz. I have plenty of guitars, but this one is 'old reliable'. Check out the Guild forum "Let's Talk Guild". Let's Talk Guild

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have the x-150 single pup Guild made in Corona CA. I put a Vintage Vibe big single coil in and it is a really great playing, great tone jazz guitar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

My experience is mostly with 60s midrange Guilds. I have ended up selling them because the nut width/string spacing is a little tight.

User Info Menu

I don't know hammer ... I hate to see early 60s Guilds like that stripped of their Franz p/us. Wish it was stock. Odds are you could not put that '61 ES150 back to stock even if you found an old Franz p/u; they probably had to widen the rout to get the humbucker in.

User Info Menu

according to the great guild guitar book by han moust...guild came out with their anti-hum (humbucker) pickup in 1962...and it went into their 1963 production line guitars

i like franz & dyna pup guilds best tho

cheers

User Info Menu

I had one of the last 90s Westerly x150s and sold it when I got enamored with other guitars. Now i wish i still had it. It was built really well and did everything a Gibson ES-175 does. I wound up buying a Gibson 175 later at twice the price. It's a nice guitar too, but not twice as nice as the Guild.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    according to the great guild guitar book by han moust...guild came out with their anti-hum (humbucker) pickup in 1962...and it went into their 1963 production line guitars

i like franz & dyna pup guilds best tho

cheers
    I have a '65 Guild Starfire with their earliest humbucker, which is a mini bucker . The one pictured appears to be a later, full-size Guild hummer, a much better pickup for jazz IMO. Altered guitars can be a good deal if the work was done well, plus you can swap pickups with no guilt.

thanks for the information, my first decent guitar was a late 50s CE100 I bought cheap at a pawn shop
    I don't rememeber it having a small nut width, but maybe that came later?
    It's crazy how little information is out there about this guitar..... I bet those single coils sound awesome

User Info Menu

I have a64' CE 100 all original well played a great guitar with original case and a newer TKL any interest?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    I don't know hammer ... I hate to see early 60s Guilds like that stripped of their Franz p/us. Wish it was stock. Odds are you could not put that '61 ES150 back to stock even if you found an old Franz p/u; they probably had to widen the rout to get the humbucker in.
    [QUOTE=AlohaJoe;1039018...The one pictured appears to be a later, full-size Guild hummer, a much better pickup for jazz IMO. Altered guitars can be a good deal if the work was done well, plus you can swap pickups with no guilt.[/QUOTE]

The price is right for anyone looking for a humbucker-equipped jazz guitar.
    Huge bang/buck for a straight-up player instrument.

I just pickup up a Corona X-150 D. It is my new favorite guitar (my other archtop is an ES-175 1959 VOS)! I tried out Westerly and Corona guitars side by side. They were pretty much identical, except the finish was a little bit thinner on the Corona made guitar. So, I purchased the Corona guitar. I couldn’t be happier. It sounds and plays fantastic. The guitar is really comfortable. And, I especially love the sound of the pickups. I’d highly recommended checking these out. They are great guitars.

User Info Menu

The late 90s/early 2000s X-150Ds are fine guitars, but the body dimensions are different depending on year made. The X-150s made in Westerly have a 16 9/16 inch (42 cm) wide body that is 3 3/8 inches (8.6 cm) deep. Tooling was changed when production moved to Corona and, as a result, the X-150s made in Corona have a smaller body at 15 7/8 inches wide (40 cm) and 3 inches (7.6 cm) deep. Really, it wouldn’t be a stretch for some guitar makers to classify the Westerly X-150 as a 17-inch archtop. They use the same pickups, but in my experience the Corona-made X-150s are harmonically richer, though slight. If you prefer a smaller guitar, the Corona version is the one to have.

CE-100D (Westerly), X-180 (Corona), X-150D (Westerly)

Guild X-150D anybody?-16-inch-comparison-jpg
    Last edited by ggjaguar; 10-28-2021 at 12:48 PM.