The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

This was originally a blonde DAQ that was left in a attic. The binding gassed and heavily stained the wood badly. Mark did a fine job giving this D'Aquisto a second life. As you all know Mark is my hero.

D'AQUISTO Restoration by Campellone-d9f20149-5f57-4348-97ce-7529e5b35e75-jpg

D'AQUISTO Restoration by Campellone-6005eb2b-bb88-4998-b57a-7dd6a4443925-jpg
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 06-05-2020 at 02:59 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ufff i want more pictures!! Beautiful sunburst he did.
    I like the look of the classical guitar style bridge, but it does not seem to transmit sound necessarily better than the standard and smaller bridge.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Wow! That's amazing! Thank's for sharing. Mark is amazing! It shows the incredible devotion, skill, and artistic talent, along with the humanity! The kind of heart surgeon I would want if I was in need of one to fix a broken heart! And, I would have one if my D'Aquisto had that sort of damage. I don't own one by the way, but I do a Trenier Excel. Great job Mark!

User Info Menu

Omg!

User Info Menu

More and more this makes me reconsider my future plans. Find a neglected 50’s cutaway DA and BEG Mark to turn it into something like this. Maybe someday.
    That is a beautiful holy grail that is now a brand new masterpiece. Not so much for a collector. But for a player that wants the best of the best and wants to have something he doesn’t have to worry about.
    I love it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    This was originally . . .
    I know what a lot of people are thinking:

"Vinny, please tell me that's your guitar, right?"

He had to do a very dark sunburst to hide the severe staining. I do believe their was a crack repair and of course all new binding. A little prayer for Mark. Knee surgery on Monday. No top carving on crutches....

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    I know what a lot of people are thinking: "Vinny, please tell me that's your guitar, right?"
    I wish !

User Info Menu

all the best to mr. campellone with his surgery

hoping the doctors do as good a job on him, as he did on that fab d'aquisto!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    I like the look of the classical guitar style bridge, but it does not seem to transmit sound necessarily better than the standard and smaller bridge.
    Jimmy D'Aquisto thought that a wider bridge did transfer the vibrations better - that's why he made them that way. Bob Benedetto recommended a narrow bridge in his book. To the best of my knowledge, the jury is still out on this subject.

In his book, Bob Benedetto also spoke for a one piece bridge (without height adjustment) from a theoretical point of view. Years later he was quoted (in Jazz Guitar Magazine, if I remember correctly) saying that he had now done actual tests where a one piece bridge was swapped for a standard bridge with height adjustment on the same guitars and the same setup and he admitted that he could not hear any significant difference.

User Info Menu

Mark, Best of luck to you with your surgery.
    Stay strong buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Jimmy D'Aquisto thought that a wider bridge did transfer the vibrations better - that's why he made them that way. Bob Benedetto recommended a narrow bridge in his book. To the best of my knowledge, the jury is still out on this subject.

In his book, Bob Benedetto also spoke for a one piece bridge (without height adjustment) from a theoretical point of view. Years later he was quoted (in Jazz Guitar Magazine, if I remember correctly) saying that he had now done actual tests where a one piece bridge was swapped for a standard bridge with height adjustment on the same guitars and the same setup and he admitted that he could not hear any significant difference.
    What you are saying ia very logic if you look it from the point of view of the bowed strings construction.
    Violins violas and cellos use a two leg very narrow one piece bridge. But you can also see great double bass with two pieces height adjustment system similar to archtop guitar style. Who knows... Surely theres a difference, i dont like when the attack consumes all the energy. I am not into loud guitars really but into beautiful sweet sound.
    Vinny, you took a great decision. Never mind what the anal colector says, i wouldnt hesitate a minute to buy your guitar if i compared it after and before. Specially knowing that it was well cared.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane

good stuff...the great bit of genius is that the master jimmy D carved his tops to match that type of bridge he designed...one is completely dependent on the other

if you were just to change bridge styles on a random guitar, the results might not be nearly conclusive!

but when you are designing with specifics in mind, these things make a vast difference

if jimmy D said his extended bridge sounds better, it's cause he matched it to his top!!! (and everything else!)..and i'm sure he was right!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Here are a few pics of the DAQ when I first got it - it had already been re-bound, but still had the original natural finish, showing the discoloration caused by the decomposition of the bindings - you can see why it was necessary to go with a darker finish - btw, the guitar sounded great - even with a brand new finish on it.

D'AQUISTO Restoration by Campellone-img_0408_1-jpgD'AQUISTO Restoration by Campellone-img_0409_1-jpgD'AQUISTO Restoration by Campellone-img_0585_1-jpg

User Info Menu

Far better than fine.....

You can see there was a lot of work needed to fill in the wood on the edges of the new binding. I have been told by many luthiers that restoration work is far harder than building a new guitar.
    A DAQ brought back to its full glory. I love success stories and happy endings.
    2 thumbs up Mark !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    Here are a few pics of the DAQ when I first got it - it had already been re-bound, but still had the original natural finish, showing the discoloration caused by the decomposition of the bindings - you can see why it was necessary to go with a darker finish - btw, the guitar sounded great - even with a brand new finish on it.

D'AQUISTO Restoration by Campellone-img_0408_1-jpgD'AQUISTO Restoration by Campellone-img_0409_1-jpgD'AQUISTO Restoration by Campellone-img_0585_1-jpg
    Mark,
    Hope the surgery went well and that your feeling ok. Nice restoration on this guitar.
    I’ve seen many binding blow outs that discolored guitars just like this one. It’s not as noticeable if the guitar was originally a burst.
    So, is this a clients guitar or your own?

User Info Menu

Restoring guitar much different animal than making one. Probably harder at least at this level of guitar.

When you make your own guitar you have all the jigs and forms. When you deal with another you have to make and invent new jigs and forms. A real art Mark is a master craftsmen, he does it all.

Think if building a house vs remodeling and old. Much easier to just start with nothing in the way.

Mark I hope your knee came through ok. Do what the dr says, and be good to yourself. Knees more important than guitars.

That celluloid is nasty stuff. I believe Mark told me he uses ABS plastic binding. I never had any binding problems in my life with Gibson's. I wonder why that is ? I have had binding issues with old Guilds. I know a lot of DA's in the 50's and DAQ's in the 80's had binding issues. Is this a batch thing like pickguards ? Still wonder why Gibson binding rarely fails.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 06-16-2020 at 10:37 PM.

User Info Menu

"Is this a batch thing like pickguards?

Usually, though sometimes it's a combination of that and the glue used

User Info Menu

50's and early 60's brooklyn made gretsches are notorious for binding rot... a real problem

cheers

User Info Menu

Not to mention a large amount of pre Gibson Epiphones, especially prewar models.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "Is this a batch thing like pickguards?

Usually, though sometimes it's a combination of that and the glue used
    The glue on my '35 Snakehead D'A' s binding completely wore off. I had to get completely new binding by Carlo Greco.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Not to mention a large amount of pre Gibson Epiphones, especially prewar models.
    Late ‘30s Epis seem to be the worst in my experience. It really hurts to see those early Emperors with 13 ply binding that’s crumbling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    The glue on my '35 Snakehead D'A' s binding completely wore off. I had to get completely new binding by Carlo Greco.
    carlo greco...what an obscure legend...worked for/with them all...old nyc...

he had his place above/next to rudys for years too, on 48th

great days

cheers