The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've seen some made in Nashville Gibson arch tops with a label marked "The Gibson Master Model". Is this some sort of a pre Custom Shop designation?

There's lots of info regarding Master Model Mandolins when I searched the web. Not much out there on guitars.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 73Fender; 06-03-2020 at 05:04 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

FWIW I ordered and received my L5 CESN from Gibson directly in 1989. There was no ‘Master Model’, no ‘Custom Shop’, no fancy red velvet thing, no certification, and the ‘case candy’ was limited to an inspection tag with some initials and the warranty card. It was signed by Hutch though so I was happy.

Now, recognize that 89 was if not the first the second year of production in Nashville after Henry J bought the company. There were all kinds of issues with wood as I think the Heritage people bought a lot of stock and Nashville was caught short. (That’s what the Gibson sales guy told us. He also said good thing I ordered a natural as I’d be surprised at how much bad wood can be covered by sunburst finishes. Oooops)))))

I believe most of what came along (Master, Certificates) were inventions of Henry’s marketing genius, and his plan to upmarket Gibson hollow bodies (among others too). Which to his credit kind of worked.

dave
    hey Jersey shore I live on LBI

User Info Menu

The Master Model labels were installed beginning w/ acoustic engineer's Lloyd Loar's tenure @ Gibson circa '22 in Style 5 instruments [top of the line L-5 and Style 5 mandolins] A separate label was installed and signed by Loar stating that he personally inspected the instrument. Master Model labels continued to be installed after his departure in late '24 until circa 1930.
    Gibson revived the labels in the early '90s I believe and were signed by the head of the carved top departments.
    Basically just a marketing device then and now.

User Info Menu

Early 90’s = Henry time. My point exactly.

User Info Menu

I've had a number of Custom Shop guitars with the Master Model sticker inside. Two labels are better than one!

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Oops. My bad. I went and looked and here it is:
    Gibson Master Models?-img_0303-jpg

User Info Menu

That looks like the one from a 1992 Gibson that is currently tempting me. Not a label I was familiar with. Thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

There are two labels on the L5, the other has the luthiers signature. One for each f hole)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    The Master Model labels were installed beginning w/ acoustic engineer's Lloyd Loar's tenure @ Gibson circa '22 in Style 5 instruments [top of the line L-5 and Style 5 mandolins] A separate label was installed and signed by Loar stating that he personally inspected the instrument. Master Model labels continued to be installed after his departure in late '24 until circa 1930.
    Gibson revived the labels in the early '90s I believe and were signed by the head of the carved top departments.
    Basically just a marketing device then and now.
    FWIW, it wasn’t just carved top guitars that got the label.