The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I'm in the US... and I was thinking $2500 or less was pretty good, for a more recent, non vintage one?
    people are asking 4000 plus.... am I out of touch? cheap?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes reverb prices are wishful at best.
    Here is an ad from Edmonton Canada. In USD it comes to around $1900. The seller might be interested in shipping:
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/edmon...1744?undefined
    Last edited by Tal_175; 06-05-2020 at 05:47 AM.

thanks

User Info Menu

Asking and getting are different, some gits with high asking prices stay for sale a long time. If you're patient, look to sold listings to get a feel for real vs. dreaming prices and watch some still for sale you like for price reductions. If a reduced price is off a bit don't hesitate as the other watchers can and will buy it if it doesn't exceed their threshold of financial pain.

Remember this, once a model is discontinued, prices always inflate and whether they stay inflated depends on whether or not it gets back in the catalog.

User Info Menu

Here's a nice one - with P90s - that just came up on the gearpage:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...igsby.2154507/

User Info Menu

If you are patient, you can find one in the $2,000 range. Not long ago, I purchased a wonderful '89 with mahogany back and sides all original. It was listed on Reverb for a few hundred dollars more, but I called the shop directly, we negotiated the price, and they sent me the guitar with a return guarantee. That was the third 175 I purchased between $1,800 and $2,000 in the past few years. You just have to be ready to be patient but ready to pounce.

The late-80s/early-90s Gibsons get over-looked sometimes, but they can be incredibly nice instruments. Henry J. had taken the helm at Gibson a few years prior, morale was high, and the craftsmanship coming out of Nashville was overall pretty good. I saw a similar 175 to mine, but was 1990 show up on Reverb recently with an asking price of $2,300.

Additionally, there's the whole debate about Gibsons that have had headstock repairs. If it was a professional repair (that you can verify) and you can play it in the shop (or get a return guarantee if buying online), there are some great deals to be had.

User Info Menu

ES-175s circa late 80s to (arbitrary) 2012, have been selling in the band between $2000 and $2250 for about ten years now. Gibson made a lot of them. The Natural flamed maple ones may cost about $200 to $250 more.

I paid $2400 for my 2006 ES-175SP Natural.

From 2013, there was a 5% bump up in MAP. From 2015, there was a 30% increase in MAP until they were discontinued in 2019 ! So, those years tend to ask for a lot more.

oh, i missed that one, p90s would be a bonus.... i need to sell something asap

Quote Originally Posted by SkipBurz
    If you are patient, you can find one in the $2,000 range. Not long ago, I purchased a wonderful '89 with mahogany back and sides all original. It was listed on Reverb for a few hundred dollars more, but I called the shop directly, we negotiated the price, and they sent me the guitar with a return guarantee. That was the third 175 I purchased between $1,800 and $2,000 in the past few years. You just have to be ready to be patient but ready to pounce.

The late-80s/early-90s Gibsons get over-looked sometimes, but they can be incredibly nice instruments. Henry J. had taken the helm at Gibson a few years prior, morale was high, and the craftsmanship coming out of Nashville was overall pretty good. I saw a similar 175 to mine, but was 1990 show up on Reverb recently with an asking price of $2,300.

Additionally, there's the whole debate about Gibsons that have had headstock repairs. If it was a professional repair (that you can verify) and you can play it in the shop (or get a return guarantee if buying online), there are some great deals to be had.
    My last 175 had a headstock repair, one that was done expertly by matt at 30th st guitars, i got a good deal on that, and it was a great guitar, also you couldn't tell it had the repair without a magnifying glass.... i stupidly sold it when i stopped playing straight ahead stuff for a while... every time matt sees me he asks about it... and gives me a hard time for selling it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    ES-175s circa late 80s to (arbitrary) 2012, have been selling in the band between $2000 and $2250 for about ten years now. Gibson made a lot of them. The Natural flamed maple ones may cost about $200 to $250 more.

I paid $2400 for my 2006 ES-175SP Natural.

From 2013, there was a 5% bump up in MAP. From 2015, there was a 30% increase in MAP until they were discontinued in 2019 ! So, those years tend to ask for a lot more.
    Prices of used ES175's are also impacted greatly due to the condition of the guitar for sale. And the older the instrument, the more chances of wear and tear, abuse or poor maintenance. Typically, the better the condition, the higher the price. That said, I've seen used '80's - '90's 175's in 'very good' to 'excellent' condition selling closer to $2,500 and higher. I've been shopping for one and these are my experiences.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    My last 175 had a headstock repair, one that was done expertly by matt at 30th st guitars, i got a good deal on that, and it was a great guitar, also you couldn't tell it had the repair without a magnifying glass.... i stupidly sold it when i stopped playing straight ahead stuff for a while... every time matt sees me he asks about it... and gives me a hard time for selling it
    So last May, I was in NYC and stopped in to 30th St. to look at 175s. It was a rainy day and Matt and I talked for about an hour or so. (That dude knows so much about Gibsons!) I fell in love with a sunburst that had a headstock repair. I couldn't even tell. I believe they were asking around $3,200 for it. That couldn't be the same guitar, could it?