The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ooglybong
    Agreed. That being said, I recently sold an LGX-SA (replaced it with a double-cut, fully hollowbody Brian Moore CS 'C55 EH' w/piezo and 13-pin); being polite about it, the Godin simply doesn't get much of a hollowbody archtop tone at all. But, of course, the Yamaha AEX-1500 easily does and would make for a splendid archtop tone even without the cool extra feature of the piezo. Really nice tones on the Godin for sure, especially for the LP and Strat stuff (plus the MIDI!)... but it's just not that jazz archtop tone. Of course, all IMO and IME.
    Thankfully, I have several nice archtops with different tones. Before I got my cheaper Epiphones, when I worried about feedback, I was able to fool myself by blending the piezo and magnetic pickups of the LGX-SA but nowadays I don't even try that. I should blind test myself and see if I can hear the difference one of these days.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

And another way to approach that tone territory is simply putting bronze (acoustic) strings on an archtop, provided that your pickups can handle them.

User Info Menu

I did this with an archtop that was too boomy in the bass when amplified with the magnetic pickup and the pickup was not adjustable, it worked beautifully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Do they still make those?
    No, they don’t. But you can find them quite easily in the used market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Both videos sound fantastic, really enjoyed them. Your playing is great on these!

Coincidentally today I started trying to work out an arrangement of Naima on a solo archtop - I had never played it (so never thought about the chords/bass), and my first thought was I'll play it in A (not A flat), to get some open strings, and lo and behold, I just happened across this discussion with your video.

Your version is excellent though, and I can't touch that type of tone with my setup, so now I am intrigued to get something like that. But that said, seems like your touch and fingers (and technique) are contributing greatly to that tone (as well as dialing in the right EQ/etc.), so it seems like some serious work went into getting such a great sound, aside from just having the equipment.

I really like how the koto blends with the guitar as well - they are very complementary, and you are both playing really interesting and tasty lines that really sound beautiful.

Quick question - are you using half wound bronze strings, or using steel strings?

Thanks again for the clips and describing your setup.

User Info Menu

Slaman Jazz Pauletta.

User Info Menu

I really like the sound of the two pickups blended.

User Info Menu

That is a sweet guitar. Only $5500...

Anybody have any experience with the Teles with piezos?

User Info Menu

I use this quite a bit with my Parker P-44 when I play shows. You can get some interesting sounds.
    It doesn't really work for jazz though, IMHO.