The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 66 of 66

User Info Menu

I love the F-holes on a LeGrand. Classy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Deacon Mark,

You noted that the sizes have varied up to 1/2". I've not seen such a variance.

Albert
    The Deacon mentioned 16.5" because I told him mine were; however, I have on very rare occasions been wrong about something, perhaps last in 1964.

With that in mind I "reached out" (I hate that phrase!) to the buyers of my two LeGrands. One has responded and told me that his is in fact 17."

So I take the blame for any confusion here, unless the other one turns out to be 16.5"

Danny W.

User Info Menu

My LeGrand is from 2001. It is built as an acoustic but has a BJB pickup. It has a thin top. I have several cross braced Heritages that have similar thin tops as does my L-5P. My Guild X-700, Super Kenny Burrell, and my Super 400 all have thicker tops and are parallel braced.

The LeGrand is 20.25" long and a hair narrower than 17". It is about 3" deep.

The L-5 is bigger and feels it.

It's hard to be wanting with any of these.

User Info Menu

Gibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-20200530_225150_resized-jpgGibson LeGrand - Your Thoughts?-20200530_225221_resized-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Deacon Mark,

I purchased my Culberson signed Legrand in April '18. The serial number is 10108001 and I fondly imagine it could be the last LeGrand out of the Gibson Custom Shop prior to the demise of the company as we knew it. As shown in the attached photo it is a true whisker shy of 17" - perhaps 16 -15/16 wide. It shines both as an acoustic and amplified instrument! I love it!
    You noted that the sizes have varied up to 1/2". I've not seen such a variance.
    Like QAMan I've owned several nice Gibson archtops but settled on the LeGrand as my keeper.
    Albert
    Hi AKA, that really is an amazingly beautiful guitar. What I am learning is, if you are gonna pay more for a guitar, it should be more beautiful. Because the differences between the high end stuff and the mid range stuff is miniscule in terms of sound and playability. The LeGrand really is a perfectly appointed guitar. If I had half a brain, I’d listen to QAMan and make the Legrand the focal point of my lineup. And then, work down from there.
    Deacon, it all comes down to what you want this guitar to be. You already have the best of the best. If you want another great one, and you want it to be a more modern guitar, the LeGrand would be the one.

JD

User Info Menu

For years I had a love-hate relationship with my '69 Johnny Smith. Gorgeous guitar, but as a player it was crap. Horrible neck, maybe unseasoned wood. I'm sure it was an anomaly, or maybe the original owner didn't store it properly. Sold it to someone over in Germany with full disclosure, never regretted it. But the guy was thrilled with it, even though you could shoot an arrow from that neck.

User Info Menu

In my experience the GJS has a wider, flatter feel than that of an L5, or Legrand. Additionally, the flatter wide frets ( depending on year) can also exacerbate playing discomfort. What I did admire about the GJS was the solid neck extension , matched by the interior block which provides beautiful bell like clarity and sustain to the very last fret.

But only those that play in this territory will benefit.

User Info Menu

I LIKE the wider flatter neck. I'm talking about a real BOW. That's why I think either the wood wasn't aged enough or the original buyer didn't take care of the guitar. It was left on its own in a closet when he went off to Nam. Obviously cannot fault him at all given the circumstances. He came back and didn't want to play anymore.

User Info Menu

I have played a few Gibson Johnny Smith models from various years and can say two things about them:

1. They vary quite a bit (As every piece of wood is different, that is true of any guitar, but the differences I have experienced with this model is pretty striking).

2. These are electric guitars first and foremost. I feel the same way about the one Heritage Johnny Smith that I have played. As I prefer an electric guitar with a built in humbucker, I would choose an L-5 over a Johnny Smith. Which probably explains why I have never owned a Johnny Smith. And if I wanted a more acoustic archtop, an L-5C would be my choice in a Gibson.

I have never played a LeGrand. Reading this thread informs me that like it's predecessor, this model varies quite a bit too. I would want to play one of these before I bought it for sure.

@ Deacon Mark: Go for an L-5, a perfect companion guitar to your Super 400 (and IMO, a better long term "investment").

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi AKA, that really is an amazingly beautiful guitar. What I am learning is, if you are gonna pay more for a guitar, it should be more beautiful. Because the differences between the high end stuff and the mid range stuff is miniscule in terms of sound and playability. The LeGrand really is a perfectly appointed guitar. If I had half a brain, I’d listen to QAMan and make the Legrand the focal point of my lineup. And then, work down from there.
    Deacon, it all comes down to what you want this guitar to be. You already have the best of the best. If you want another great one, and you want it to be a more modern guitar, the LeGrand would be the one.

JD
    IMO the legrand would fit you very well. It will meet and exceed your playing, sound and aesthetic requirements. It's a very responsive guitar. You seem to play with a light touch, you can get a lot of "pop" even with a light touch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I think Steve is right. When Gibson gets it right nobody can touch them. My 2014 L5P with BJB was a absolutely fantastic guitar. I regret selling it but had 4 L5’s and was feeling like a big hoarder pig. I sold it to a great forum member though and made a lifelong friend.
    Attachment 72732
    Vinny, Steve is right. This Steve too! When QAMan sold his L5P, I regretted not jumping on it when I had the opportunity. When I saw yours, I was on it quicker than a bolt of lightening! And I was right to do it. Everything about this guitar is right. It plays like magic. And, you did make a lifelong friend. Thank you brother! I'm a lucky man. And I will forever remember your hospitality, letting me play every one of your guitars. That Campellone is off the charts! I can't imagine the new one. We sure had fun, and it was a long day for me. Started out in Seattle, spent the day with you, flew home with the new guitar, carry-on! I was so concerned they wouldn't let me on with it that I upgraded to 1st. Felt like a child at Christmas with that thing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have never played a LeGrand. Reading this thread informs me that like it's predecessor, this model varies quite a bit too. I would want to play one of these before I bought it for sure.
    Agreed. Given the cost I would want to play any expensive carved acoustic archtop before I bought it - including D’Angelico’s.

I recommend that Deacon Mark, or anyone seeking a Gibson high-end archtop, consider the LeGrand as among Gibson’s best offerings. If mine is indicative of other LeGrands, they are comparable to the outstanding work of other great contemporary luthiers.

Albert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I have played a few Gibson Johnny Smith models from various years and can say two things about them:

1. They vary quite a bit (As every piece of wood is different, that is true of any guitar, but the differences I have experienced with this model is pretty striking).

2. These are electric guitars first and foremost. I feel the same way about the one Heritage Johnny Smith that I have played. As I prefer an electric guitar with a built in humbucker, I would choose an L-5 over a Johnny Smith. Which probably explains why I have never owned a Johnny Smith. And if I wanted a more acoustic archtop, an L-5C would be my choice in a Gibson.

@ Deacon Mark: Go for an L-5, a perfect companion guitar to your Super 400 (and IMO, a better long term "investment").

I never expected to disagree with you, but I find the LeGrand and the Heritages with floating pickups for the most part to be acoustic instruments in construction. The thinness of the tops and the bracing suggest that. They sacrifice with their frailty for that acoustic responsiveness.

The Gibsons, Guilds, and Heritages I've played with mounted pickups have heavier tops. They sound and play great but are definitely different animals.

My two cents, Marc.

User Info Menu

You are not actually disagreeing with me Mark. You are presenting a different experience. As I posted, I have never played a LeGrand and the only Heritage Johnny Smith I played was as quiet as an ES-175. I have played other Heritage archtops that were acoustic guitars to be sure. I gather that the LeGrand is a fine acoustic guitar and suppose that some other Heritage Johnny Smith guitars are quite "acoustic". I have played about a dozen different Gibson Johnny Smiths. None were particularly acoustic compared to say, an Artist Award or genuine DA or vintage Epi. Perhaps some examples of that model are more acoustic and I just have not played one?

My experience so far keeps me in the L-5 camp, electric or acoustic. But I would love to be proven wrong by playing the right guitar

User Info Menu

Current Reverb asking prices range between $7500-11,800. Of course, these are asking prices and subject to negotiation where a “make an offer “ option is listed.

Unfortunately- the Reverb “sold prices” are not truly indicative of the actual selling price.

User Info Menu

Our forum member Jabberwocky usually has some keen insight into current market valuations - so you may want to send him a PM.

I purchased mine a few years ago and asking prices have gone up since then. I don’t like disclosing my purchase prices on an open forum, but others might.