The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

for any '50s - 60's guitars, try and play as many different years as possible as the neck profile changes several times between mid 50's - mid 60's. Also starting late '64 / ear'y '65 the nut width decreases from 1 11/16" to 1 9/16"... that's a big difference that may affect how comfortable the guitar is to play to different players.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ES-300s generally sell n the 3-4k range, just check completed/sold listings, not asking prices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    I own a 1947 ES 300. At the time the 300 was the top of the line laminate Gibson. They are NOT in 2-3k realm. Not by far unless it has serious issues. I have seen the rare blonde ES 300s go for over 7k on reverb.

DB
    They definitely do not command anywhere near 7k in the US. They sell for somewhat more in the EU and in Japan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    ES-300s generally sell n the 3-4k range, just check completed/sold listings, not asking prices.
    Not in Europe. I have seen only a handful come by in 20 years on the internet and the 3-4k ones were all beat up with horrible repairs. I went out to play some. You'd really have to add a grand for an excellent one. The blonde ones are even more expensive. That is when you can find one because usually there aren't any for sale. Sometimes not for years. Importing one from the US will add 25% in import taxes and duties and European sellers know this so you have to add 1-2 K on USA prices. Sometimes more.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    They definitely do not command anywhere near 7k in the US. They sell for somewhat more in the EU and in Japan.
    Somewhat more? You don't want to know what I paid for mine.

The point is, there simply aren't any for sale over here usually. The vintage market in Europe is very different from the US.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    The post war ES 150 is laminated, just like the ES 125. Same guitar, only bigger body and neck scale.

Potential pitfall for both are worn frets, tail rise and cracks (of course)

DB
    What is tail rise please ?

User Info Menu

Some may have seen this before but Tim's comments and playing are worth repeating.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    What is tail rise please ?
    Fingerboard pulling up over the body like a ski slope.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Fingerboard pulling up over the body like a ski slope.
    thanks , it’s difficult for me to imagine
    how that would happen ....

User Info Menu

A lot of old archtops w raised fingerboard extension suffer from this issue.

User Info Menu

Check out forum member's Little Jay's videos for what an ES-125 can do.

User Info Menu

Yep. The fun begins, exploring the options, one of them being having it built by Maurice Dupont (the Saint-Louis model).

User Info Menu

In classic archtops, the truss rod only goes as far as the neck-body joint. The strings pull up the neck until about the 14'th fret while the freboard extension stays where it is. The result is the "nose up" problem as it's called - but it really is a "neck up" problem. Some makers design their guitars with a "nose down" to compensate for it when the neck is under string pull.

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I recently played one of the new Guild T-50 and it was very, very nice. They should do a version with full body depth.
    I'd probably replace the PU with a Fralin noiseless P90. All the recent Korea made Guilds I played are great value for the price IMO.
    (I have one of the new Bluesbirds.)

User Info Menu

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a (full bodied) ES-125 with tail-rise, since the end of the fretboard is flush to the body.

The ES-125 is a great guitar and you can get tones very similar to the ES-150 and ES-300 for less money

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Check out forum member's Little Jay's videos for what an ES-125 can do.
    Thanks K

Yes, it's a versatile guitar, you can even make it howl:

User Info Menu

I BOUGHT THAT SONG FROM TIM AGES AGO...LOOKING FOR IT RIGHT NOW