The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Congratulations Vinny! What a stunner you and MC created! And you're right...you absolutely, positively, do deserve it! Way to go man!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Thank you Greg ! Great to have you around again my friend.

User Info Menu

Wow. Beautiful guitar Vinny!

DB

User Info Menu

Vinny, since everything remains the same, do you notice the acoustic difference also in the amplified tone?

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Better pix of the two Campellones side-by-side would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    Vinny, since everything remains the same, do you notice the acoustic difference also in the amplified tone?Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk
    Yes. Mark told me that quilted maple has a softer more mellow tone. He was correct. The V1K sounds closer to a modern L5 were the Special like a 60's L5. Can't say which one I like better.The V1K means more to me on a personal level. I will die with that one. I would say the V1K is more creamy and the Special is more focused amplified. A better evaluation will be in 6 months. Right now the V1K came with Chromes and I have TI's on the Special. I remember after 6 months the Special really came alive. The V1K is still stinking nitro (new car smell). :-) V

User Info Menu

Bro, at least you could leave the B&E strings on.
    Mark did you another solid by making them sound different. Variety is the spice of life!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Yes. Mark told me that quilted maple has a softer more mellow tone. He was correct. The V1K sounds closer to a modern L5 were the Special like a 60's L5. Can't say which one I like better.The V1K means more to me on a personal level. I will die with that one. I would say the V1K is more creamy and the Special is more focused amplified. A better evaluation will be in 6 months. Right now the V1K came with Chromes and I have TI's on the Special. I remember after 6 months the Special really came alive. The V1K is still stinking nitro (new car smell). :-) V
    Am I reading this correctly ? ..... Chromes ??...Chromes !!! whatever next ?, you will be ostracised by the brotherhood unless TI's
    are on that Campellone before sundown, I'm going to drink a large Isle of Jura whisky and sit in a dark room. Dare I ask if you
    are contemplating asking Mark to build a "Flying V " style guitar for your Birthday in 23 days time? I suspect that Thomas Infeld
    will be distraught at the defection to another String maker.

I will make sure TI's are on your Deluxe when it ships out. Mark didn't have any TI's in stock so I just told him to slap a set a Chromes on it. Put away that whiskey jug. TI's by sundown. Don't want your laser accuracy marksmanship diminished Sir 007. Neither does the Queen.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 06-02-2020 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Chromes are not that bad. I got them on the SF. I didn’t want to waste a good set of strings.
    Although one issue..
    When I tune to a Standard tuning the intonation is spot on, up and down the neck. But when I drop D tune, I have to make the low D “flat” in order for the octaves from 3rd fret on up to match. My 165 doesn’t have this issue and I never had this problem with other guitars or TI strings. Weird.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

chromes are completely different from thoms jazz swings...

chromes have hex core..thoms round---big difference!

chromes are stainless steel wrap...thomastiks are pure nickel-huge difference

chromes are flats for people that really don't like or know flats...very roundwound-ish...they are initially bright (but fade quickly) and have some grit to the wrap

thomastiks are vintage mellow and stay that way..they are thin inner core and therefore low tension/stiff feeling...their double wrap of pure nickel is also softer and smoother on the fingertips

this is not conjecture...its design!!

cheers

TI's and Gibson (or Campellone )....the perfect combo. Oh and a Henriksen too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    chromes are completely different from thoms jazz swings...
    chromes have hex core..thoms round---big difference
    chromes are stainless steel wrap...thomastiks are pure nickel-huge difference

chromes are flats for people that really don't like or know flats...very roundwound-ish...they are initially bright (but fade quickly) and have some grit to the wrap
    thomastiks are vintage mellow and stay that way..they are thin inner core and therefore low tension/stiff feeling...their double wrap of pure nickel is also softer and smoother on the fingertips
    this is not conjecture...its design!!
    cheers
    No doubt N. TI’s are the only string I’d buy but when a brand set of strings show up on a new guitar that I buy, well, I can’t just throw em out.. once Chromes break in, they are actually not too bad.
    But there is a fresh set of 13’s waiting to be deployed. The problem is, I don’t have any plain Elixir E&b in 13 and 17 to use with the other 4 TI’s.

User Info Menu

Plain steel high E's and B's are all pretty much the same regardless of manufacturer.

User Info Menu

I agree, but I don’t have any of those either.. only 12 and 16.

My guitar made the Campellone hall of fame. Check out the great pics Mark took on the last page of his gallery. Also check out the black face beauty. That black face is really appealing.
    Mark had knee surgery Monday. Prayers for fast healing so he can get back to the chisel.