Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I hope you enjoy.
    Last edited by Max405; 06-04-2020 at 09:12 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joe I love your posts because you are 90% actual playing and just 10% talk. That means a ton to me. I'm on this forum mainly for the playing, hearing other growing guitarists trying their hand at different musical goals, and having a place where I can play for others who can appreciate what I'm doing right and gently let me know what needs attention.

I don't always post a reply because sometimes I put the video on "loop" and if I hit "Reply" the music stops... but I watch every one and really enjoy them.

But I also know how great it is when we post a clip and then have some conversation about it. I'll make sure in the future to speak up because good conversation is a rare thing these days!

User Info Menu

Joe, this is fun. I love the bounce and lilt and the sweetness and sassiness all rolled together. A great piece and a perfect ending to what felt like a very long week for me. Thank you for all the effort. I hope to one day achieve that level of virtuosity on one or more of my tired old pieces. I'm getting stronger each day and may even be able to play a little bit this weekend!

Heartfelt thanks to you, buddy!

Roli

User Info Menu

Joe I continue to be delighted with the tone you get from that guitar. Very transparent, very clean, and you have the technique and style to go with it.

I'm curious-do you find the lines and ideas in the Johnny Smith and Joe Pass performances that you transcribe sneaking into your efforts at improvisation? I find chord-melody "licks" -- you know, neat ways to move voicings over a ii-V-I, transfer really easily for me to other playing. But single note line playing is so much harder to "cross fertilize." I've learned some wonderful bop solos, and I notice I can really "hear" bebop better than ever, but still when I try to improvise those ideas just evaporate.

What's been your experience on that?

User Info Menu

Great sounding guitar and nicely played. I can't play Jazz I just dont have the mind set for it. But I can appreciate the skill level and the sound so can enjoy jazz to listen to.

User Info Menu

Joe, your playing always leave me with a smile on my face and in my soul. This one is no exception. You are an artist in your element!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Joe, this is fun. I love the bounce and lilt and the sweetness and sassiness all rolled together. A great piece and a perfect ending to what felt like a very long week for me. Thank you for all the effort. I hope to one day achieve that level of virtuosity on one or more of my tired old pieces. I'm getting stronger each day and may even be able to play a little bit this weekend!
    Heartfelt thanks to you, buddy!
    Roli
    Hi Roli, I didn’t know you weren’t well. I hope you get back to 100% quick. Glad my little tune gave you some comfort. Get well quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe I continue to be delighted with the tone you get from that guitar. Very transparent, very clean, and you have the technique and style to go with it.
    I'm curious-do you find the lines and ideas in the Johnny Smith and Joe Pass performances that you transcribe sneaking into your efforts at improvisation? I find chord-melody "licks" -- you know, neat ways to move voicings over a ii-V-I, transfer really easily for me to other playing. But single note line playing is so much harder to "cross fertilize." I've learned some wonderful bop solos, and I notice I can really "hear" bebop better than ever, but still when I try to improvise those ideas just evaporate.
    What's been your experience on that?
    I am the wrong one to ask about improvising to Jazz. I don’t hear bop lines over progressions. When I do start improvising, I sound like Al Dimeola. So I don’t even bother. I got away from trying to be something I am not. Not saying you can’t do it. Just improvise by playing Rainey lines and see where it takes you. Trust me buddy, you have nothing to feel bad about. You are out there. And you are doin it. You have proven you can play. Just play what you love. Because if you don’t, you won’t want to do it anymore. And that would be a great loss.
    Thanks Lawson. You are a classy man.

User Info Menu

Nice touch on that instrument!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    Nice touch on that instrument!
    Thank you 4on6.

Thank you everyone. I learned a lot on this video. If you notice, the images are nice and dark. I shot with regular basic cheapo Logitech webcams (2 c920’s and one 930 pro). They need ALOT of light to produce dark sharply focused images. But I like my videos to be darker. It makes the more dramatic. I solved the conundrum by learning how to edit videos in GREAT video editor, DaVinci Resolve. Not only am I editing without constant crashes (VideoStudio - garbage) but I found a LUT that darkens the image without changing its clarity AND I’m able to create MP4’s with extraordinary sound. The VideoStudio mp2 rendering (after crash upon crash) were 600megabytes. The MP4 out of DaVinci Resolve is 170megs, rendered in one shot and is 10x better. The reason I rendered mp2’s in VideoStudio is because the mp4 sounded like crap.
    I think I have my workflow locked down now. I am happy.

Now like Qaman says, I focus on my grail guitar and prepare for it to happen.
    Thanks again guys.
    Joe D

EXCELLENT!! I can tell you maybe studied the Johnny Smith 3 octave arp book long ago! Great sounding instrument and clever arrangement!!

I just looked up full range of instrument in Italian and came up with GAMMA COMPLETA DI INSTRUMENTI!!

User Info Menu

Sounds fantastic. How does the guitar compare to some of the amazing instruments you've owned

User Info Menu

Hi Jack, Thanks buddy.
    This guitar is very different. Which is good because you don't want them all sounding the same. I think that makes it a keeper. It is very responsive. And it is very balanced. Almost like there is a limiter built into wood (which I know is not possible). But to my ears, acoustically, its the best guitar I've had, next to the 1936 D'Angelico which was in a another world. The D'A was smoother. Back to the Solid Formed - Amplified, the more I understand it, I think the pickup is actually a perfect match for this guitar. Not overly powerful. But really clear. Gibson should recieve credit for that. Even though the pickup was a mess when I got the guitar as New Old Stock.
    As you know better than anybody, the playability of a guitar can only be maximized by having a great Tech work on it. Honestly, I wouldn't even own this guitar if it wasnt for Brian at SamAsh in Springfield NJ. This guy doesnt even know just how good he is. He made this guitar a Gem. It will be my baby, for a long, long time.
    I think you would absolutely KILL it on this guitar. Its a guitar best played sitting down. Its depth is 3-3/8. That extra 3/8 would make it uncomfortable to play standing up.
    Thanks again.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    EXCELLENT!! I can tell you maybe studied the Johnny Smith 3 octave arp book long ago! Great sounding instrument and clever arrangement!!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    I just looked up full range of instrument in Italian and came up with GAMMA COMPLETA DI INSTRUMENTI!!
    Hahaa Steve. I've pretty much tried to emulate Johnnys playing in every way. I'll never reach his mastery. It really is great to have 2 legends that I idolize so much. Johnny and Joe Pass. I am glad they are my idols.
    Thanks, JD