The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 196

User Info Menu

If you do the neck out of one piece of wood, you'll waste close to half your wood. Unless you do it the Fender way, which uses stock wood sizes intentionally. The scarf joint is the only sane way to do it these days.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Neck in the rough The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-7795d298-6de0-46d2-891b-41ae4ace1f93-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm curious why some builds use the spliced headstock (scarf joint?) and others don't. I wouldn't say either is better or worse. I would love to hear a master-builder talk about when that technique is chosen and when not. I assume if Mr. C. does it, it's excellent, of course. That's why the explanation would be so helpful.
    There are two good reasons for doing a spliced peghead - one, it makes the weak area at the base of the peghead less vulnerable to breaks, and two, it avoids a lot of wood waste.

As illustrated in the diagrams below, the "a" one piece design creates short grain lines running diagonally through the peghead - this makes for an easy "snap" at the break angle below the nut.

In scarf joint "c", stronger long grain lines run through peghead and into the area below the nut - it's a less break-prone construction, but I don't like it for a couple of reasons - the joint is visible on the back of the neck, and you end up with two different grain orientations at that end of the neck - makes me concerned about possible distortion in that area, so I don't think it's the best option.

I like scarf joint "b" - using this method, the visible joint ends up in the peghead area, and front and back peghead veneers can be applied which both conceal and strengthen the splice joint.

The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-images-1-jpg

User Info Menu

trussrod & channel must be entered into equation as well

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    There are two good reasons for doing a spliced peghead - one, it makes the weak area at the base of the peghead less vulnerable to breaks, and two, it avoids a lot of wood waste.

As illustrated in the diagrams below, the "a" one piece design creates short grain lines running diagonally through the peghead - this makes for an easy "snap" at the break angle below the nut.

In scarf joint "c", stronger long grain lines run through peghead and into the area below the nut - it's a less break-prone construction, but I don't like it for a couple of reasons - the joint is visible on the back of the neck, and you end up with two different grain orientations at that end of the neck - makes me concerned about possible distortion in that area, so I don't think it's the best option.

I like scarf joint "b" - using this method, the visible joint ends up in the peghead area, and front and back peghead veneers can be applied which both conceal and strengthen the splice joint.

The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-images-1-jpg
    Thank you! I am really delighted to get such a clear and serious answer from a builder I admire so much. All the guitars you've built for my forum friends have me itching to have one of my own... so maybe I'll be in touch down the road!

I am a huge Gibson fanboy but dislike their lack of customer focus and concern. LOL when you have a issue with your Gibson.
    On the other hand you can get a equally great archtop made by a equally great guy who will give great customer service for way cheaper. A no brainer. The "G" on the headstock is the stigma that is hard to get past but once you do you will find that a "C" on the headstock is really quite delightful.

BTW - I am Mark's new PR guy. I even get a new Campellone T-shirt too. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If you do the neck out of one piece of wood, you'll waste close to half your wood. Unless you do it the Fender way, which uses stock wood sizes intentionally. The scarf joint is the only sane way to do it these days.
    After all, wood doesn't grow on tre...oh, nevermind.

There's no shortage of hard maple (acer saccharum) out there, which is what is used for maple guitar necks. It's burned as firewood in the northeast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I am a huge Gibson fanboy but dislike their lack of customer focus and concern. LOL when you have a issue with your Gibson.
    On the other hand you can get a equally great archtop made by a equally great guy who will give great customer service for way cheaper. A no brainer. The "G" on the headstock is the stigma that is hard to get past but once you do you will find that a "C" on the headstock is really quite delightful.

BTW - I am Mark's new PR guy. I even get a new Campellone T-shirt too. :-)
    You and I are like the "terrible twins" Vinny, and I reiterate a comment that I made yesterday , that I too have been a Gibson devotee for 50years+
    but "the time has come," the Walrus said .......and few could disagree with your opinion on the Campellone guitars, or of Mark himself.
    We all appreciate good quality, Mark's guitars have it in spades, I would venture to suggest that his name will be revered for a considerable time.
    There do not appear to be any detractors. Mark's regular posts on the progress of the builds is very interesting to not only the recipient but a
    large contingent of genuinely interested members here. The icing on the cake is the very agreeable cost, because for even hard and fast fans
    of Gibson , most will shrink from the very high prices, long wait, and the indifferent attitude of the maker to its long term and loyal customers

over and out, 007

Even Mr.Campellone cannot deny that no one can beat the Gibson designs so he just took the ball and ran with it. Actually all archtop makers did. I think the L5 is the benchmark that every guitar maker tries to equal or exceed in the archtop world. Not a easy task.Not only is the L5 a benchmark for the builder but it is for the player too. Campellone would not sell many guitars if they didn't exceed that benchmark. A archtop player is the most pickiest guitarist followed next by a really good classical player. We are a hard to please breed indeed.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 08-19-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Neck almost done The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-8d96136e-c2e3-4cd3-9c51-b91946695e77-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-2982c8bc-c216-469e-8757-9bebc247a9ae-jpg

User Info Menu

This Guitar is really worth waiting for, Mark's expertise, patience ,and undeniable
    skills as a Master Luthier., will make this the best instrument i have or will have
    owned. It is a joy to watch the build process, and my sincere thanks to my very
    good friend Vinny., for taking time out to post these great pics and for his recommendations
    If anyone here is seriously desirous of owning a Campellone, I suggest that you contact
    Mark soon, before the waiting list gets very much longer,

A happy camper? a resounding yes.
    Silverfoxx

That neck has more stripes than a Bengal Tiger. I have yet had to touch the trussrod on the V1K model. Still arrow straight. My Special 1 crank and that was it. Campellone necks are super stable. At least for me, 100 degrees or 50 the necks don't move. Also dual action trussrods equal feeler gauge action. Perfect crowns and not even a hint of a scratch on the fretboard or binding edges. 007 when you sight down the neck it will look like a ocean horizon. No Gibby tailrise guaranteed. Words you will NEVER hear ever : My new Campellone is a turd. Words you WILL hear : Wish I got one sooner.

User Info Menu

It is so nice to see your unbridled excitement and happiness.
    I am very happy for you Foxman.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    This Guitar is really worth waiting for, Mark's expertise, patience ,and undeniable
    skills as a Master Luthier., will make this the best instrument i have or will have
    owned. It is a joy to watch the build process, and my sincere thanks to my very
    good friend Vinny., for taking time out to post these great pics and for his recommendations
    If anyone here is seriously desirous of owning a Campellone, I suggest that you contact
    Mark soon, before the waiting list gets very much longer,
    A happy camper? a resounding yes.
    Silverfoxx

+1

User Info Menu

"unbridled enthusiasm" -kramer

for silverfoxx

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 08-19-2020 at 10:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Neatomic.

Your post is a fair facsimile of my image in excited mode LOL

Best, Silverfoxx

Neck complete The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-6c2272d8-6cbc-46df-8696-ecb8d9d91e04-jpg

User Info Menu

A controlled repeatable process of excellence. I’m in the manufacturing business and when you have a controlled process - you have outstanding quality and predictable scheduling.

The new Campellone batch naked The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-76d30bea-3fb5-40d8-b546-ba77a78569c4-jpg

Ready for Lacquer The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-d1956ea0-5431-4330-9c44-414734624f12-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-e661cbe0-f420-40ba-bc9e-2ed3ff7ee2d9-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The new Campellone batch naked The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-76d30bea-3fb5-40d8-b546-ba77a78569c4-jpg
    Committing adultery in my heart here...

User Info Menu

Vinny & Mark
    i am already salivating at the prospect of receiving this guitar , even “nude” it is impressive .
    When the lacquer is applied , and fittings it’s going to be stunning I know for sure
    Thank you for these pics and for the hard work entailed in producing these
    beautiful instruments

Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-76d30bea-3fb5-40d8-b546-ba77a78569c4-jpg
    I like the OCD lineup:
    -oddball Standard Custom
    -Standard
    -Deluxe
    -Special
    -Cameo

Sealer coat. Flame Monster The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-96c953a4-2130-49e7-a92a-9437d84d29ad-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-2faefd5d-d32c-41dc-bfb5-9ff755822584-jpg

User Info Menu

I am not surprised that there are so many views on these posts, to see a work of art in
    progress is fascinating, If Mark C was IC of production and Vinny IC of public relations
    at Gibson. it might be a different story, fortunately for us they are not. We are therefore
    enabled to acquire a masterpiece at what is considered to be a realistic price.
    Each stage of this build is an eye opener, Thanks again to Mark, and Vinny for a view
    of these fantastic guitars in production.

Silverfoxx