The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 196

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    The center strips on the top and back plates are done solely as seam reinforcement (commonly used on flattop guitars) and won't affect sound in any significant way. I know Gibson didn't use it (and I've only seen a few Gibson archtops with center seam issues), but after seeing it used on Heritage archtops, I decided to to start using it myself - figured a little extra insurance can't hurt -
    Thanks for your response. The reason I asked, was in my short time when I was fortunate to be able to play one of your great guitars, I was struck by a couple of things. The sound of the guitar was something I can only describe as audiophile High fidelity quality. Every sound was crisp and strong. A very powerful acoustic instrument. With tremendous response and playability. I became smitten by it in very a very short time. And I appreciate Mike letting me play it. The other things I can vouch for is the guitar was very lightweight yet one of the most solidly built guitars I’ve ever had the privilege to play. The “feel” of the guitar was also outstanding. It felt like it should weigh twice what it did.
    Every time I think of that guitar, I think of Rocky Marciano. The 187lb undefeated heavy weight champ who was in the best condition and punched harder than any fighter who ever lived.
    You make great guitars Mark. Thanks for coming on here.
    Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Mark is the E.F.Hutton of JGF. When he talks people listen....

User Info Menu

Good question - the inner face contours of the plates carry through into the cutaway area - this creates a gap between the plate and the flat gluing surface of the rim assembly in that area - this "ramp" is installed to fill that gap - you can see how it works in the pics below -

Attachment 73720

Attachment 73719

this reminds me of johnny smiths trouble with his guild signature award model...he specified that he wanted the top carved before the cutaway was added...(like d'angelico did it)...he went to the foreman and the owner-al dronge, but guild wouldn't budge..they added the cutaway first and then carved the top! that caused johnny to back away from the deal and soon after, sign with gibson! he later stated he didn't think it made any acoustical difference, but he was stuck on the way d'angelico did it

jimmy d'aquisto commented that the real reason was because john d'angelico had his non cutaway template and didn't want to make a new cutaway template!..he used the same type woodblock fill method as mr. campellone pictured above!!

(i remembered reading about this in hans moust's great book-the guild guitar book)

cheers

ps- here's a link to the page in google books repro

Guild Guitar Book: The Company and the Instruments : 1952-1977 - Hans Moust - Google Books
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-04-2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Johnny Smith was a bit of a dick when it came to his dealings regarding guitars.

User Info Menu

^ just want to add, that was not the intended response i tried to achieve with my post...haha...though i get it!!

i love johnny smith...thought he was a great mind in modern music...as he said himself, he wasn't a jazz guitarist...he was a musician. amen

he always searched hard for his ultimate guitar tone...whether it be his low d- string tuning or the type of strings, his guitars, pickups, his amps..he was always pushing to achieve "his" sound..that's good by me!

he trusted john d'angelico..and thought if the maestro does it, it must be right...and in his defense, if d'angelico really felt it was detracting from tone..he would have built a cutaway template right quick

fact is mr. campellone uses the d'angelico method to this day...and with incredible results...bravo

the bitter pill is when gibson accepted and carried out johnny's guitar plans, d'angelico saw it as a betrayal..givin away his inside secrets... banished him...a no win situation...but i get johnny...he just wanted to make his guitar sound better

cheers

ps- i have little doubt that if johnny were still with us, you'd just might see him with a campellone!
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-04-2020 at 11:07 PM.

Rims bent. Sweet.....The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-ec441f60-ab8b-4ede-81ac-11bc5d984710-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-bf8e6959-32e4-428c-995e-747599115b01-jpg

User Info Menu

Coming along very nicely, Mark works like the proverbial beaver
    I am most impressed with his attention to detail and speed of
    production, Thanks to Vinny for posting the pics from MC.

Best 007

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Rims bent. Sweet.....The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-ec441f60-ab8b-4ede-81ac-11bc5d984710-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-bf8e6959-32e4-428c-995e-747599115b01-jpg
    My guess is Mark uses some Jedi Mind trick to bend those rims. He just looks at them and they bend in like 3 seconds..
    All kidding aside, He really is a machine. The fact that he is doing 5 other guitars at the same time and has the wear-with-all to photograph his progress AND keep the customer posted is astonishing to me.
    JD

He even rubbed in a little mineral oil into one rim so 007 could see the flame.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    My guess is Mark uses some Jedi Mind trick to bend those rims. He just looks at them and they bend in like 3 seconds..
    All kidding aside, He really is a machine. The fact that he is doing 5 other guitars at the same time and has the wear-with-all to photograph his progress AND keep the customer posted is astonishing to me.
    JD
    Joe, you must surely be aware that, when Mark makes personal appearances, he dons his Blue Jump suit, Red pants
    his top bearing a Yellow triangular motif , with an embroidered "S " , as befits his popularity here.

User Info Menu

He even rubbed in a little mineral oil into one rim so 007 could see the flame.

I can see the flame from here ,Vinny, may it never be extinguished.

User Info Menu

JD
    Actually, I'm doing 5 guitars total in the batch, so only 4 others with the 007 Deluxe - I had been doing batches of 6, but recently cut it back to 5 - since I build in batches, each operation is repeated for each guitar in succession, and some operations are very tiring - I like to try to avoid working beyond the point where fatigue sets in - fatigue is the enemy of good quality work : )

Come August 29 Mark will be traveling the same road as me...Route 66

User Info Menu

Actually, I'm doing 5 guitars total in the batch, so only 4 others with the 007 Deluxe - I had been doing batches of 6, but recently cut it back to 5 - since I build in batches, each operation is repeated for each guitar in succession, and some operations are very tiring - I like to try to avoid working beyond the point where fatigue sets in - fatigue is the enemy of good quality work : )
    Oh, ok. I stand corrected.

Rims done.....Sweet The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-a8816f5b-9d2d-4b0e-ac25-44af036d6bba-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-3a5e8742-4245-491e-9b94-baafa59585f5-jpg

User Info Menu

I can hardly wait!!

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    I can hardly wait!!

Tony D.
    Tony, I am like a cat on hot bricks.. agog with anticipation.

Cheers Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update V, I can hear it already....

Rims done.....Sweet The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-a8816f5b-9d2d-4b0e-ac25-44af036d6bba-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-3a5e8742-4245-491e-9b94-baafa59585f5-jpg

007 it looks like you asked for a strap pin location like a Guild archtop ? That would be my choice. I can't stand a strap pin on the heel.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 07-15-2020 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

007 it looks like you asked for a strap pin location like a Guild archtop ?
    That would be my choice. I can’t stand a strap pin on the heel.
    Yes, I asked Mark to site the strap pin in the same position as on my L5CT, which as you acutely observed
    is in the same as the Guild Archtop .

User Info Menu

It’s so exciting to watch the build process. I’m a big fan of Mark’s guitars.
    The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-df9b012f-66bc-4d46-bf44-f1650249a2c5-jpg

Body done The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-276e620e-e46b-4789-a626-21d3c6c155a1-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-0553893b-9ed7-4076-931c-32e7c89016ba-jpg

User Info Menu

This is getting very exciting.
    I am very happy for you Foxman.
    JD

User Info Menu

This is getting very exciting.
    I am very happy for you Foxman.
    JD
    Thanks Joe,
    It takes something extraordinary to get me excited, but,I marvel at Mark's skill
    and dedication to his Art, we are lucky indeed to have him here and willing to
    build Archtops at what must be considered a very agreeable price. I'm
    confident that when completed ,that this Deluxe will meet with general approval
    considering that an L5CES, or Wesmo costs twice the price, takes 12 months
    to build and the full price is required up front. Every Campellone owner also
    declares that it is better built. .......
    ( before you ask, an Aston Martin or a Corvette is out of the question
    i'll have to put up with the BMW for some time , sad to say)

Body routed for binding. The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-74e3cdaa-3b34-42ca-8753-c983f8d9377f-jpg