Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 101 to 150 of 151
  1. #101

    User Info Menu

    If you do the neck out of one piece of wood, you'll waste close to half your wood. Unless you do it the Fender way, which uses stock wood sizes intentionally. The scarf joint is the only sane way to do it these days.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #102
    Neck in the rough The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-7795d298-6de0-46d2-891b-41ae4ace1f93-jpg

  4. #103

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm curious why some builds use the spliced headstock (scarf joint?) and others don't. I wouldn't say either is better or worse. I would love to hear a master-builder talk about when that technique is chosen and when not. I assume if Mr. C. does it, it's excellent, of course. That's why the explanation would be so helpful.
    There are two good reasons for doing a spliced peghead - one, it makes the weak area at the base of the peghead less vulnerable to breaks, and two, it avoids a lot of wood waste.

    As illustrated in the diagrams below, the "a" one piece design creates short grain lines running diagonally through the peghead - this makes for an easy "snap" at the break angle below the nut.

    In scarf joint "c", stronger long grain lines run through peghead and into the area below the nut - it's a less break-prone construction, but I don't like it for a couple of reasons - the joint is visible on the back of the neck, and you end up with two different grain orientations at that end of the neck - makes me concerned about possible distortion in that area, so I don't think it's the best option.

    I like scarf joint "b" - using this method, the visible joint ends up in the peghead area, and front and back peghead veneers can be applied which both conceal and strengthen the splice joint.



    The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-images-1-jpg

  5. #104

    User Info Menu

    trussrod & channel must be entered into equation as well

    cheers

  6. #105

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    There are two good reasons for doing a spliced peghead - one, it makes the weak area at the base of the peghead less vulnerable to breaks, and two, it avoids a lot of wood waste.

    As illustrated in the diagrams below, the "a" one piece design creates short grain lines running diagonally through the peghead - this makes for an easy "snap" at the break angle below the nut.

    In scarf joint "c", stronger long grain lines run through peghead and into the area below the nut - it's a less break-prone construction, but I don't like it for a couple of reasons - the joint is visible on the back of the neck, and you end up with two different grain orientations at that end of the neck - makes me concerned about possible distortion in that area, so I don't think it's the best option.

    I like scarf joint "b" - using this method, the visible joint ends up in the peghead area, and front and back peghead veneers can be applied which both conceal and strengthen the splice joint.



    The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-images-1-jpg
    Thank you! I am really delighted to get such a clear and serious answer from a builder I admire so much. All the guitars you've built for my forum friends have me itching to have one of my own... so maybe I'll be in touch down the road!

  7. #106
    I am a huge Gibson fanboy but dislike their lack of customer focus and concern. LOL when you have a issue with your Gibson.
    On the other hand you can get a equally great archtop made by a equally great guy who will give great customer service for way cheaper. A no brainer. The "G" on the headstock is the stigma that is hard to get past but once you do you will find that a "C" on the headstock is really quite delightful.

    BTW - I am Mark's new PR guy. I even get a new Campellone T-shirt too. :-)

  8. #107

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If you do the neck out of one piece of wood, you'll waste close to half your wood. Unless you do it the Fender way, which uses stock wood sizes intentionally. The scarf joint is the only sane way to do it these days.
    After all, wood doesn't grow on tre...oh, nevermind.

    There's no shortage of hard maple (acer saccharum) out there, which is what is used for maple guitar necks. It's burned as firewood in the northeast.

  9. #108

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I am a huge Gibson fanboy but dislike their lack of customer focus and concern. LOL when you have a issue with your Gibson.
    On the other hand you can get a equally great archtop made by a equally great guy who will give great customer service for way cheaper. A no brainer. The "G" on the headstock is the stigma that is hard to get past but once you do you will find that a "C" on the headstock is really quite delightful.

    BTW - I am Mark's new PR guy. I even get a new Campellone T-shirt too. :-)
    You and I are like the "terrible twins" Vinny, and I reiterate a comment that I made yesterday , that I too have been a Gibson devotee for 50years+
    but "the time has come," the Walrus said .......and few could disagree with your opinion on the Campellone guitars, or of Mark himself.
    We all appreciate good quality, Mark's guitars have it in spades, I would venture to suggest that his name will be revered for a considerable time.
    There do not appear to be any detractors. Mark's regular posts on the progress of the builds is very interesting to not only the recipient but a
    large contingent of genuinely interested members here. The icing on the cake is the very agreeable cost, because for even hard and fast fans
    of Gibson , most will shrink from the very high prices, long wait, and the indifferent attitude of the maker to its long term and loyal customers

    over and out, 007

  10. #109
    Even Mr.Campellone cannot deny that no one can beat the Gibson designs so he just took the ball and ran with it. Actually all archtop makers did. I think the L5 is the benchmark that every guitar maker tries to equal or exceed in the archtop world. Not a easy task.Not only is the L5 a benchmark for the builder but it is for the player too. Campellone would not sell many guitars if they didn't exceed that benchmark. A archtop player is the most pickiest guitarist followed next by a really good classical player. We are a hard to please breed indeed.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 08-19-2020 at 08:02 PM.

  11. #110
    Neck almost done The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-8d96136e-c2e3-4cd3-9c51-b91946695e77-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-2982c8bc-c216-469e-8757-9bebc247a9ae-jpg

  12. #111

    User Info Menu

    This Guitar is really worth waiting for, Mark's expertise, patience ,and undeniable
    skills as a Master Luthier., will make this the best instrument i have or will have
    owned. It is a joy to watch the build process, and my sincere thanks to my very
    good friend Vinny., for taking time out to post these great pics and for his recommendations
    If anyone here is seriously desirous of owning a Campellone, I suggest that you contact
    Mark soon, before the waiting list gets very much longer,


    A happy camper? a resounding yes.
    Silverfoxx

  13. #112
    That neck has more stripes than a Bengal Tiger. I have yet had to touch the trussrod on the V1K model. Still arrow straight. My Special 1 crank and that was it. Campellone necks are super stable. At least for me, 100 degrees or 50 the necks don't move. Also dual action trussrods equal feeler gauge action. Perfect crowns and not even a hint of a scratch on the fretboard or binding edges. 007 when you sight down the neck it will look like a ocean horizon. No Gibby tailrise guaranteed. Words you will NEVER hear ever : My new Campellone is a turd. Words you WILL hear : Wish I got one sooner.

  14. #113

    User Info Menu

    It is so nice to see your unbridled excitement and happiness.
    I am very happy for you Foxman.
    JD

    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx View Post
    This Guitar is really worth waiting for, Mark's expertise, patience ,and undeniable
    skills as a Master Luthier., will make this the best instrument i have or will have
    owned. It is a joy to watch the build process, and my sincere thanks to my very
    good friend Vinny., for taking time out to post these great pics and for his recommendations
    If anyone here is seriously desirous of owning a Campellone, I suggest that you contact
    Mark soon, before the waiting list gets very much longer,
    A happy camper? a resounding yes.
    Silverfoxx

  15. #114
    +1

  16. #115

    User Info Menu

    "unbridled enthusiasm" -kramer

    for silverfoxx


    cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 08-19-2020 at 10:47 PM.

  17. #116

    User Info Menu

    Neatomic.

    Your post is a fair facsimile of my image in excited mode LOL



    Best, Silverfoxx

  18. #117
    Neck complete The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-6c2272d8-6cbc-46df-8696-ecb8d9d91e04-jpg

  19. #118

    User Info Menu

    A controlled repeatable process of excellence. I’m in the manufacturing business and when you have a controlled process - you have outstanding quality and predictable scheduling.

  20. #119
    The new Campellone batch naked The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-76d30bea-3fb5-40d8-b546-ba77a78569c4-jpg

  21. #120
    Ready for Lacquer The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-d1956ea0-5431-4330-9c44-414734624f12-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-e661cbe0-f420-40ba-bc9e-2ed3ff7ee2d9-jpg

  22. #121

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The new Campellone batch naked The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-76d30bea-3fb5-40d8-b546-ba77a78569c4-jpg
    Committing adultery in my heart here...

  23. #122

    User Info Menu

    Vinny & Mark
    i am already salivating at the prospect of receiving this guitar , even “nude” it is impressive .
    When the lacquer is applied , and fittings it’s going to be stunning I know for sure
    Thank you for these pics and for the hard work entailed in producing these
    beautiful instruments

    Silverfoxx

  24. #123

    User Info Menu

    The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-76d30bea-3fb5-40d8-b546-ba77a78569c4-jpg
    I like the OCD lineup:
    -oddball Standard Custom
    -Standard
    -Deluxe
    -Special
    -Cameo

  25. #124
    Sealer coat. Flame Monster The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-96c953a4-2130-49e7-a92a-9437d84d29ad-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-2faefd5d-d32c-41dc-bfb5-9ff755822584-jpg

  26. #125

    User Info Menu

    I am not surprised that there are so many views on these posts, to see a work of art in
    progress is fascinating, If Mark C was IC of production and Vinny IC of public relations
    at Gibson. it might be a different story, fortunately for us they are not. We are therefore
    enabled to acquire a masterpiece at what is considered to be a realistic price.
    Each stage of this build is an eye opener, Thanks again to Mark, and Vinny for a view
    of these fantastic guitars in production.



    Silverfoxx

  27. #126

    User Info Menu

    Foxman, The neck on your guitar makes me want to go get a haircut!!
    I always say it, but that is the most beautiful that guitar will ever look. Its a shame the Wood has to change from white wood to Amber. I pray the day will come when a a Sealer/Age Inhibitor is developed that will keep wood from discoloring. Something that will neatralize the lignon and acids in the wood so 40 years from now, that guitar looks just like it does in those pics.
    You guitar is beautiful 007. Play June a beautiful song with it, for us.
    JD

  28. #127

    User Info Menu

    Have to disagree Joe, not a fan of bright white at all. Much prefer that mellow yellow.

  29. #128
    I too love it when blonde turns to honey. Back in the old days when everyone smoked, smokey bars and clubs really sped up that process. You could have a dark honey guitar with yellow binding in no time.

  30. #129

    User Info Menu

    Back when I was young and everyone smoked, I worked in my father's TV repair shop. TVs back then were all tube, and generally inside wooden cabinets with a glass pane in the front, with the chassis and picture tube behind it. We got a call once from an older couple who said their picture tube had died, and wanted us to replace it. Those old CRTs did die. When we arrived at the house and pulled the chassis, we noticed that we could barely see through the glass pane. Years of both of them smoking close to the front of the TV had coated everything with carbon and nicotine. We spent almost an hour cleaning the glass pane and the CRT with Windex, after which the picture was perfect. My father then refused to charge them anything, because there was no problem with the TV. Smoke can really build up on hard surfaces, but it can be cleaned off if one really wants it off.

  31. #130

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-76d30bea-3fb5-40d8-b546-ba77a78569c4-jpg
    I like the OCD lineup:
    -oddball Standard Custom
    -Standard
    -Deluxe
    -Special
    -Cameo
    Ha! - pretty funny, Hammer, that you picked up on that manifestation of my OCD tendencies - I normally organize each batch by size, going from the smallest guitar to the largest (makes sense production-wise) - in this case, they also go from plain to fancy -

  32. #131
    Finish going on. Mark says the pics make it look more red than the actual chestnut color. The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-96d53305-2994-4421-9c53-85bcfcf245f9-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-c4c9e4c5-9c3c-4395-a2cb-aee69d7760d1-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-286dbf7f-e4e6-4d7e-9107-aa6a24dd6305-jpg

  33. #132
    Mark sure knows how to spray a great sunburst. Not to mention his great binding scraping abilities. Easy on the coffee on those days.....LOL

  34. #133

    User Info Menu

    Scrumptious!

  35. #134

    User Info Menu

    But does it have an ejector seat? HMMMM????

  36. #135

    User Info Menu

    Wow ! Just gorgeous and right on schedule for an October delivery.

    When it comes to a Gibson style custom guitar build - no one does it better than Mark Campellone .....and by now I’m sure most would agree.

    Very happy for you Alan - a very smart purchase indeed.

  37. #136

    User Info Menu

    What an absolutely gorgeous burst. Excited to see it finished

  38. #137

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Wow ! Just gorgeous and right on schedule for an October delivery.

    When it comes to a Gibson style custom guitar build - no one does it better than Mark Campellone .....and by now I’m sure most would agree.

    Very happy for you Alan - a very smart purchase indeed.
    Thank you Steve, very few would disagree, pleasing to see more than 6k views on the post, which must enhance Mark's reputation further.
    I have been delighted with the progress of the guitar, and of course grateful to Vinny and yourself for your recommendations, I am a great
    believer in deferring to experts for advice on these matters.


    Best regards,

  39. #138

    User Info Menu

    That Chestnut Sunburst is absolute mastery with a spray gun. Mark makes it look easy.

    Hey, just another iconic archtop created by a Master in a time when these things are becoming more rare.

  40. #139

    User Info Menu

    Could there be a more beautiful sunburst?
    Nope....incredibly pretty)))
    thanks for all the pic sharing.

  41. #140

    User Info Menu

    My goodness.
    The top doesn’t look like wood. It looks like porcelain. The color, the burst - just crazy beautiful.
    Mark, you do beautiful work. You really do.
    Master builder.
    Joe D

  42. #141

    User Info Menu

    forget the body! look at the neck...juicy!

    mastery in action

    cheers

  43. #142
    The new colorful batch The Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-f69e2e5b-f416-468b-ab71-5d89b1e3124c-jpgThe Campellone Deluxe Silverfoxx Model begins-7d4be601-51ee-4041-a7b8-0728248a93ad-jpg

  44. #143
    The Cameo appears to be solid chestnut. Nice batch !

  45. #144

    User Info Menu

    Vinny it really is. There’s a lot of everything right there.
    I hope Mark sends a picture of all of these finished in one picture. Quite a lineup.
    JD

  46. #145
    Mark cut his batches from 6 to 5. He is getting older and wants to slow down a bit but his popularity is obviously on a big rise. Does not look good for our boy named Mark. No kicking back eating those big lobsters over there and watching the sun set into the ocean. Slam down a tuna sandwich and get back to carving tops......LOL. I do believe he still really loves what he does but the bones ache more now. We are both traveling Route 66. He doesn't have a lick of fat on him and no bad habits. Hopefully he can bless the world with another 150 archtops before he hangs up his chisels.

  47. #146

    User Info Menu

    amen vinny...keep preachin the MC truth...long may he prosper!


    cheers

  48. #147

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Mark cut his batches from 6 to 5. He is getting older and wants to slow down a bit but his popularity is obviously on a big rise. Does not look good for our boy named Mark. No kicking back eating those big lobsters over there and watching the sun set into the ocean. Slam down a tuna sandwich and get back to carving tops......LOL. I do believe he still really loves what he does but the bones ache more now. We are both traveling Route 66. He doesn't have a lick of fat on him and no bad habits. Hopefully he can bless the world with another 150 archtops before he hangs up his chisels.
    LOL that is great!!
    Retirement is not all it is cracked up to be. There is something to be said about having something positive to do every day, a reason to get up and some work to do. Not to mention bringing in income to help pay for the things one enjoys in life.
    Let’s face it, Mark Campellone does not have a regular 9-to-5. His shop is in his home and he can work at his own pace according to his needs. That type of control leads to a better quality of life. Mark strikes me as a man that would continue to bless us with his archtops..
    Plus, I am on his list for a second Standard MCampellone. From what Mark said that is at least a year out before the start of a build. Gives me a little time to plan for payment..

  49. #148

    User Info Menu

    This is all great press for an Absolutely well deserving man.
    I love this. Out of the goodness in your heart, you have given the man what is due to him. And he gets to enjoy it while he still alive. All too often Greatness is rewarded when its too late. Not in this case.
    Out of the goodness in your heart Vin. And there is a lot of it there bro.
    Always, JD

  50. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    This is all great press for an Absolutely well deserving man.
    I love this. Out of the goodness in your heart, you have given the man what is due to him. And he gets to enjoy it while he still alive. All too often Greatness is rewarded when its too late. Not in this case.
    Out of the goodness in your heart Vin. And there is a lot of it there bro.
    Always, JD
    Love you Bro !!!

  51. #150

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Mark cut his batches from 6 to 5. He is getting older and wants to slow down a bit but his popularity is obviously on a big rise. Does not look good for our boy named Mark. No kicking back eating those big lobsters over there and watching the sun set into the ocean. Slam down a tuna sandwich and get back to carving tops......LOL. I do believe he still really loves what he does but the bones ache more now. We are both traveling Route 66. He doesn't have a lick of fat on him and no bad habits. Hopefully he can bless the world with another 150 archtops before he hangs up his chisels.
    Hey Vinny - loved this post of yours, but in the interest of full disclosure (and in the spirit of good humor, of course), I feel the need to correct a few inaccuracies : )

    While I do enjoy the great seafood we have here in the coastal northeast, I was never a huge lobster fan - only had it about three or four times in my entire life - and after having had an allergic reaction to shell fish a number of years ago, I don't eat it at all anymore - and I don't miss it........I'd rather have pasta : )

    Though Rhode Island is famous for it's beaches, I don't spend any time enjoying ocean sunsets - I'm about 45 minutes from the nearest beach, which means about a two hour drive with beach traffic - no thanks : )

    I do normally work straight through the day without any extended lunch break - maybe just a quick midday snack if I need the energy, so no slamming down a tuna sandwich and then back to work. I do, however, enjoy preparing a nice supper for myself every night (my "reward" after a day's work) - and it invariably includes a couple of glasses of wine (shall we consider that a vice?)

    And yes, I am in pretty good shape for my age , but I can pinch about an inch around my gut - very disturbing : )

    Hope this gave you a chuckle : )