The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 118

User Info Menu

A possible post Covid playing opportunity (talking 2021) has put me in the market for a dual humbucker solid body.

So far a Gibson SG and a PRS Starla intrigue me the most, but what do you all play?

Les Paul's are a no for me.

Budget will be $1500, but preferably closer to 1k.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Get a Telecaster with humbuckers obv

User Info Menu

I'm partial to the Starla, but yeah, the Mira is cool too.

Haven't ruled out the tele.

Actually...a strat neck fits a tele, right?

User Info Menu

I agree with the Tele/Gib idea for a very versatile guitar. One other consideration although not solid body is the Gibson ES-339 especially used. These are great versatile guitars the combine Thin line and L.P. tones in a ary compact light weight guitar. They are also around anywahere from $1k for the Studio Model to arou d $1800 for the Std model i. The used market.

User Info Menu

Oh but I just saw the Starla. I support that as a decision.

User Info Menu

Semihollows are a no for me.

User Info Menu

On the other hand how do you expect these pretty pretty guitars to stand up in a roadhouse brawl?

Got to be a tele.

User Info Menu

These are fresh from the oven. Strat with Gibson features. 24 3/4 neck, mahogany body, PAF style humbuckers, 4 knob wiring:
    Parallel Universe II Uptown Strat(R) | Electric Guitars
    Attached Images Attached Images Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-uptown-jpg 

User Info Menu

Anybody know if a Strat/JM neck fits a tele? I think that works, with a little gap...

I have a JM neck hanging around...I could find a loaded tele body on ebay with two humbuckers and maybe bolt together exactly what I need for not much scratch...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Jeff: How about this? Currently under construction in my secure, hardened, underground facilities:

User Info Menu

I think if I went tele, I'd just piece it together myself...unless you wanted to part with that body. Its ugly. I like it.

User Info Menu

Mmmm, SGs. I've always been partial to the looks of an SG in mahogony.

User Info Menu

Yamaha Pacifica Mike Stern 1511: tele style, loaded with Seymour Duncan ('59 humbucker + Hot Rails), a great satinated neck.

Also: Godin LGX. Especially the first run, with Shadow pickups (nowadays they have Seymour Duncan): very versatile, great sounds and a spectacular neck. Piezo included (and Roland GK port) in some models, like mine.

I have both, and both are great instruments. Yamaha and Godin are - in general - a great bang for the buck, also: I bought the Yamaha for 400 euros used from a girl who gave up playing guitar - a steal. 800 - again, used - for the Godin.

PRS are simply fantastic, but I have a Custom 24 (which is out of your budget, from what you said) and haven't tried other models.

PS: the Yamaha is pictured in my avatar, just to say...
    Last edited by sergio.bello; 05-25-2020 at 06:31 PM. Reason: post scriptum...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Anybody know if a Strat/JM neck fits a tele?
    Isn't that the Steve Morse special?

Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-66b77acef8c9cb620610238ffd7ec7f7-650-80-jpg

All-Star Gear: Steve Morse's Frankenstein Telecaster | MusicRadar

User Info Menu

Why do you need the hood ornament?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Anybody know if a Strat/JM neck fits a tele? I think that works, with a little gap...I have a JM neck hanging around...I could find a loaded tele body on ebay with two humbuckers and maybe bolt together exactly what I need for not much scratch...
    Yes, Strat/Jazzmaster necks fit teles. The Eric Clapton Blind Faith tele being a famous example. The custom Shop got it wrong, of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-clapton-tele-1-jpg Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-clapton-tele-2-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 06-09-2020 at 01:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Given that you have a Jazzmaster neck, you could tip your hat to the Joe Messina tele of Motown fame.
    Attached Images Attached Images Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-robwhitejoemessina-jpg Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-dhjblf2wkammrzo-jpg 

User Info Menu

The discontinued PRS core line Mira is a fantastic guitar. It’s not unusual to find them for $900-1000.

User Info Menu

Discussions in another thread got me interested in the Larrivee R4. That configuration with a 25.5" scale length is definitely in my wheel house. I've also been looking at a Swan that we built that on Reverb for a super price. I only own a Gosling which seems a bit silly.

User Info Menu

Agree with Sergio about Godin LGX series (around or a little above $1K) or the Yamahas. Yamaha Revstars are very cool for much less than $1K (I was watching these on Reverb) and very nice reviews:

Yamaha Revstar RS620 Burnt Charcoal with Original Gig Bag | | Reverb

Yamaha Revstar RS620 Electric Guitar 2016 - Rosewood | Reverb

2006, Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Sienna Burst | | Reverb

User Info Menu

That Revstar looks great.

Leaning that or Mira, now. The prices on used Miras are great, and I won't have to replace the Bigsby like on a Starla.

The new SE Starlas are still an option, but that mahogany color is a big draw for me...and you can't get that on an SE.

And maybe still an SG...Maybe.

OR...If a really cool loaded double humbucker tele body came up on ebay, I'd save $ and go that route...but I ain't playing no guitar with a shitty sunburst or that's the color of gum.

User Info Menu

dual humbucker?...solid body?...sg?..2021 project?...doesn't involve short pants does it??

Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-angus-young-jpg

haha

sg's are nice...

scale has a lot to do with it...a 24.75 gibby style scale is gonna sound way different from a 25.5 hh strat

prs starlas have come 24.5 scale and presently 25"...in between

luck..have fun...and look further outside...lotsa cool options out there besides the standard fare!!

flying v's are nice!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

1. but what do you all play?

2. Budget will be $1500, but preferably closer to 1k.
    Those are two very different questions/parameters.