The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 118 of 118

User Info Menu

This thread is making me realize the choices of dual humbucker guitars *I* would consider are not that interesting. Makes me like my Tele even more!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    This thread is making me realize the choices of dual humbucker guitars *I* would consider are not that interesting. Makes me like my Tele even more!
    Indeed.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say no to HSH Mahogany 7 string .......

User Info Menu

For me, the first issue is the feel of the neck.

I can't tell from an hour in the store whether or not I'm going to get used to it or fall in love with it. So buy with a return privilege.

There are other considerations, like sound, weight, ergonomics, appearance, resale potential etc.

I don't know how to advise anybody else which feel and sound they're going to like.

If I was to buy one tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'd get.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    For me, the first issue is the feel of the neck.
    Me too!

I can't tell from an hour in the store whether or not I'm going to get used to it or fall in love with it.
    I am just the opposite and have learned over the decades that I know within a minute. But maybe I don't try too hard to adjust. There are So. Many. Guitars. from which to choose.

User Info Menu

Same, if guitar doesn't impress me in first 5 min, waste of time. XD

Well. I love very specific neck, so I can eliminate 98% of them like right away. XD
    But that creates a problem of me wanting to have custom made. XD

User Info Menu

I played a Paul for 13 years as my #1. Went acoustic only for about 7 years, than when I got back into electric got an SG. Never looked back wishing for a Paul again. They are very versatile guitars, second only to Strats on that score in my opinion.

If you decide to go that way, make sure you play some before you pull the trigger. Some folks don't get along with the neck positioning, and some SGs (not all of them) are neck-heavy.

I'd second the advice above to get a medium-power tube amp as well, for the stuff y'all do.

User Info Menu

This thread smells like TGP....

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ... [I am] in the market for a dual humbucker solid body. ...
    Budget will be $1500, but preferably closer to 1k.
    Have you considered Reverend guitars? For example, the Jetstream HB is a two-humbucker solidbody guitar for $1K.

Another possibility might be the Fender AmPro Telecaster Deluxe Shawbucker. 2xHB, $1450.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

How would the responses compare? I was banned from TGP years ago, and have never wanted to return.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

I have no problems with recommending guitars.

But fight over headstock signature and name is pointless. xD
    Same as being c0cky over having 3000$ guitar.

I have 0 issues with people recommending guitar gear.

But I have problem with attitude:
    " My guitar cost 3000$, so go faq yourself. " xD
    Or:
    " Fender is awesome, Gibson can 5uck 1t. ". xD

And stuff like that.

User Info Menu

Around 2002 there was a SG Faded i think it was. It had moon dots.
    The one I tried sounded good although in that time early to mid 90's Gibsons were suposed to be better.
    It should be dirt cheap for a Gibson and IT HAS A BEEFY NECK.
    I don't recall It being neck heavy, but If It was a Les Trem ll would fix that...

User Info Menu

Why limit yourself to ‘dual’ humbuckers? (NFI):
    2008 Gibson Custom Shop Sg Triple Humbucker White Ri $3800 - Mandolin Cafe

User Info Menu

if were're doing this sight unseen, i'd much rather roll the dice on an mij yamaha revstar than anything that said gibson on it. so few are available used, though they very occasionally fall near the listed budget, but i'd rather stretch for one of those than your standard mic/mik offerings, though several aren't bad. even their non mij stuff is reported to be unusually nice.

that kh esp looks so much better in wine red sparkle.

User Info Menu

I recently got an Ibanez AZ, I love it... great neck, not a thin neck... loads of tonal options, plays like butter, not expensive
    HH telecaster is also a good idea,

User Info Menu

Good morning all,

I’d like to give a tribute to the Yamaha Revstar which in my opinion is a well kept secret in the solid body guitar world and how she’s suitable in playing jazz.
    I have the RSP20CR, the japanese one, made in the Hamamatsu factory. For some reasons I must practice in the early morning, I have 4 kids and the only time I have is when everyone is still asleep, wife included… so my bread and butter instrument is a solid body… unplugged or connected to something like a Boss pocket GT.
    The guitar keeps basically the characteristics of a mahogany/set-neck one, but with a completely modern ergonomics: and as time goes by ergonomics became one of the most important features for me. She is exceptionally resonant, at the same level of a 335 unplugged (couldn’t believe) with a beautiful neck on the medium-fat side and with a almost flat radius.
    the sound of the Alnico VII pickups is fantastic, never too hot and beautifully articulated, I like Thomastik flatwounds but with the original gauge 0.10
    The body is not so heavy (taking in account her les-paulish nature) mine weighs 3.75kg (about 8 1/4lbs) that is not so far from (half pound) my alder american standard strat at 3.5kg… since I have back problems I have to practice standing up.
    A big advantage is also that the body is contoured on the upper side but flat and thick on the lower side (almost like a gibson les paul standard) so it’s very comfortable to play seated even with an ergoplay support (which I use when seated), since suctions work.
    And at last… I appreciate a lot the design factor which is original and not a copy of… It’s an important aspect for me in developing a love affair with a guitar.

I think she could deserve attention in the jazz community, in particular if one is thinking to a toughtfully reengineered answer to a gibson les paul… I was very happy watching Lee Ritenour playing one as solid body of choice. I have more than one guitar, but If I’d have to take one and go out for a gig on the fly without knowing the context or environment, I’ll take the Revstar without thinking any day.

Hope this lines can be helpful
    Last edited by antonioc67; 03-27-2022 at 12:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by antonioc67
    Good morning all,

I’d like to give a tribute to the Yamaha Revstar which in my opinion is a well kept secret in the solid body guitar world and how she’s suitable in playing jazz.
    I have the RSP20CR, the japanese one, made in the Hamamatsu factory. For some reasons I must practice in the early morning, I have 4 kids and the only time I have is when everyone is still asleep, wife included… so my bread and butter instrument is a solid body… unplugged or connected to something like a Boss pocket GT.
    The guitar keeps basically the characteristics of a mahogany/set-neck one, but with a completely modern ergonomics: and as time goes by ergonomics became one of the most important features for me. She is exceptionally resonant, at the same level of a 335 unplugged (couldn’t believe) with a beautiful neck on the medium-fat side and with a almost flat radius.
    the sound of the Alnico VII pickups is fantastic, never too hot and beautifully articulated, I like Thomastik flatwounds but with the original gauge 0.10
    The body is not so heavy (taking in account her les-paulish nature) mine weighs 3.75kg (about 8 1/4lbs) that is not so far from (half pound) my alder american standard strat at 3.5kg… since I have back problems I have to practice standing up.
    A big advantage is also that the body is contoured on the upper side but flat and thick on the lower side (almost like a gibson les paul standard) so it’s very comfortable to play seated even with an ergoplay support (which I use when seated), since suctions work.
    And at last… I appreciate a lot the design factor which is original and not a copy of… It’s an important aspect for me in developing a love affair with a guitar.

I think she could deserve attention in the jazz community, in particular if one is thinking to a toughtfully reengineered answer to a gibson les paul… I was very happy watching Lee Ritenour playing one as solid body of choice. I have more than one guitar, but If I’d have to take one and go out for a gig on the fly without knowing the context or environment, I’ll take the Revstar without thinking any day.

Hope this lines can be helpful

User Info Menu

Anybody played a Fender Player Lead 3? Dual humbucker setup with coil split toggles. Seems ideal for maximum versatility if the neck pickup produces a nice jazz tone.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk