The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 118

User Info Menu

I should mention, the project would be a dad rock thing I'd probably never share here, but I found some dads of my kids' friends who play drums, keys, and a multi-instrumentalist who prefers bass, and they dig stuff like the Allmans and the Dead, but also Sabbath and Crimson and Zappa stuff, and I just don't have a guitar to play this stuff on, and I can't change my tele setup, it's perfect as is.

And the drummer has a cool garage with a fridge. Could be a coll excuse to leave the house a few times a month...y'know...once I can leave the house.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I see. Dadth metal guitar.

User Info Menu

If I ever get another 2 HB solidbody it'll probably be an SG. I had one with (mini humbuckers) for a long time, and kind of miss it. For $1500 you can get a very nice one, e.g., the '61 Standard.

How come LP's and Semis are out of the running?

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    they dig stuff like the Allmans and the Dead, but also Sabbath and Crimson and Zappa stuff
    smells more and more like an sg (with exception of fripp)...and whats the amp??

cheers

User Info Menu

I should mention, the project would be a dad rock thing I'd probably never share here, but I found some dads of my kids' friends who play drums, keys, and a multi-instrumentalist who prefers bass, and they dig stuff like the Allmans and the Dead, but also Sabbath and Crimson and Zappa stuff, and I just don't have a guitar to play this stuff on, and I can't change my tele setup, it's perfect as is.

And the drummer has a cool garage with a fridge. Could be a coll excuse to leave the house a few times a month...y'know...once I can leave the house.
    Now that we know this detail, SG all the way.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    smells more and more like an sg (with exception of fripp)...and whats the amp??

cheers
    Oh, I'll just crank my poly tone with a preamp and an old big box RAT.

Or maybe even just the lunchbox and some pedals.

Semis are out because I've owned 4 different semis in my life and not bonded with any of them. I guess I'm just not a semi hollow guy.

Les Pauls are out because they're overpriced and overrated, imho. I've never played an LP that I even kind of liked. Nothing that small should be that heavy.

User Info Menu

man u don't wanta be carryin no polytone to where sweet leaf is bein played!!!

get urself a cheap orange or vox along the sg!! haha

enabler!!

cheers

User Info Menu

man u don't wanta be carryin no polytone to where sweet leaf is bein played!!!

get urself a cheap orange or vox along the sg!! haha

enabler!!

cheers
    Evil.

User Info Menu

Well, shit.

Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-screenshot_20200525-211702_facebook-jpg

User Info Menu

Anybody know if a Strat/JM neck fits a tele? I think that works, with a little gap...

I have a JM neck hanging around...I could find a loaded tele body on ebay with two humbuckers and maybe bolt together exactly what I need for not much scratch...
    Yup, I have a strat with a tele neck. The difference is the shape of the neck pocket. One has a radius in the corners, the other does not. Worst case is you may have to cut a bit in the corners of the neck pocket or pick guard if so equipped.

User Info Menu

Oh, I'll just crank my poly tone with a preamp and an old big box RAT. Or maybe even just the lunchbox and some pedals....
    man u don't wanta be carryin no polytone to where sweet leaf is bein played!!get urself a cheap orange or vox along the sg!! haha enabler!! cheers
    Polytone red knob, doods. It's the best.

User Info Menu

Les Pauls are out because they're overpriced and overrated, imho. I've never played an LP that I even kind of liked. Nothing that small should be that heavy.
    I went through three different LPs before finding my Elegant. Chambered body - easy on the back, PAF buckers, perfect for ABB stuff when paired with a Marshall. But since you are a tele aficionado, why not stick with what you know you love?
    Access to this page has been denied.

User Info Menu

If MIJ isn’t an issue, take a look at the Ibanez Artist 2619 Prestige. It’s my ‘go to’ 2 humbucker solid guitar and is head and shoulders above many Les Paul’s I’ve played. The trisound pickups give an added bonus - each can be set to a series, parallel or single coil configuration.

User Info Menu

A friend of mine plays in a dad rock band and uses a 1990s Guild S-100 when he does. Very nice guitar. To my ears it's a bit darker sounding than an SG. Made in the USA at that time and can be had within your budget.

User Info Menu

A PRS is almost an obligatory axe for any guys I knew playing with the Grateful Dads. It seems to say "I'm dadly serious".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    If MIJ isn’t an issue, take a look at the Ibanez Artist 2619 Prestige. It’s my ‘go to’ 2 humbucker solid guitar and is head and shoulders above many Les Paul’s I’ve played. The trisound pickups give an added bonus - each can be set to a series, parallel or single coil configuration.

yes my father has one, i have been playing it last few days. really nice, his has 13 Ti Flatwound, i can only use on neck pup it hb mode and treble on 1

,it can go Strat or heading towards Tele, i cant get those sounds tho, someone was playing Dads guitar about a year back fusion person.

They are heavy, but probably no different from LP, Superbly made, look good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    MIJ definitely fine, although the one Ibanez Artist I tried in my lifetime had to be 10lbs...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    A PRS is almost an obligatory axe for any guys I knew playing with the Grateful Dads. It seems to say "I'm dadly serious".
    I didn't realize quite a few models were rather affordable (and not just the SE's)

I thought they were all 3k dentist guitars.

User Info Menu

How about a late 90s Guild Bluesbird. LP shape, but larger and with a chambered body? Or a 70s Guild s300.

John

User Info Menu

I think on the Guild front, the s100 is more my jam.

I have a friend with a Gibson L6-S he doesn't play...wonder if he'd sell it? Its heavy too though, been a long time since I played it...

User Info Menu

I think on the Guild front, the s100 is more my jam.

I have a friend with a Gibson L6-S he doesn't play...wonder if he'd sell it? Its heavy too though, been a long time since I played it...
    Those L-6 Gibbys are pretty darn heavy.

I have been a Lester guy since the mid 70's but with age, the weight came to be a deal killer for me. A few years ago I pickup up a 2017 Les Paul Studio T. She has the "ultra modern weight relief" and come in a 7 pounds, 14 ounces. The tone is to die for with sustain for days and lots of tonal options (split coil PUPs). They sell for under a grand on the used market. I can't think of a better 2 PUP solid body and I have owned a PRS and a couple of SG's.

User Info Menu

TBH at the same time as being a little skeptical of low end Gibsons, I’ve never played an LP studio I haven’t liked.

User Info Menu

I just took in a LP Studio Pro as a trade in that’s a phenomenal sounding guitar through an overdriven amp and it plays great too.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I just don't like Les Paul's. Just not my bag.

User Info Menu

PRS SE Zach Myers , light weight, and neck pickup is in correct position unlike SG model guitars.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1590514843177