The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 118

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    PRS SE Zach Myers , light weight, and neck pickup is in correct position unlike SG model guitars.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1590514843177
    Too pretty, and semihollow.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Actually just a veneer on the top. Also much more like a solid body weight relieved carved body style a la Gibson Pat Martino. Used to own one as well as a Gibson ES-339 . MUCH more solid body totally than the ES series laminates.

Read the reviews on Radar Music and others. A Best Buy! Especially used around $500 or less!

User Info Menu

Oh, let’s just quit fooling around. This is what you need!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think on the Guild front, the s100 is more my jam.

I have a friend with a Gibson L6-S he doesn't play...wonder if he'd sell it? Its heavy too though, been a long time since I played it...
    L6-S has a 24 fret neck, which pushes the neck pup back toward the bridge and makes for a different sound. If you can deal with 24-fret necks, I know you said no LP's, but I used to have one of these:

Gibson Les Paul DC Studio 1998 Cherry burst | Roberto's | Reverb

They're MUCH lighter than a regular LP, and have a different vibe. The bridge pup sounds fantastic; the neck pup is brighter than is typical because of the position --good for overdriven sounds, but not for jazzy sounds.

John

User Info Menu

Eastman El Rey 3 -- you can still get a jazz sound out of it!

Eastman Eastman El Rey ER3 Otto D'Ambrosio Signature | | Reverb

User Info Menu

El Reys are very cool, but not what I'm after.

I'll make my decision later this summer...the finalists are:

SG Standard
    Lower priced PRS (Mira or satin S2 maybe)
    Guild S100

Or if a cool loaded tele body popped up on ebay, I might go for it. Right now, there's nothing there that excites me much.

User Info Menu

How about a D'Angelico Brighton?

Premier Brighton (R) | D'Angelico Guitars

User Info Menu

info from one of the best sg players out there today

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    How about a D'Angelico Brighton?

Premier Brighton (R) | D'Angelico Guitars
    Good lord, that's a stupid looking guitar.

User Info Menu

Had this one almost 30 years. It’s a PRS take on an SG. Heavy, hot pickups not a first choice for jazz.
    Attached Images Attached Images Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-ce9345b0-41ba-4331-806a-b7604b766660-jpg 

User Info Menu

I just picked this up and it’s fantastic all around great guitar! Hamer Studio (96) with Duncan 59 in neck and JB in the bridge. I pulled out the alnico 5 magnets and replaced with alnico 2 and it’s really sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

hamer was the original prs of sorts..tried to make a better gibby solid type guitar...early on...joel danzig of hamer...they made some beautiful guitars...nowadays a brand owned by fmic...

cheers

User Info Menu

My best friend since high school has a Hamer Duo-tone, I think it was called...semi-hollow, with a piezo bridge...very cool guitar.

User Info Menu

I'd like PRS guitars more without the birds. Is it just me?

What about Keisels? New may be above your budget....

Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-700-hh2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'd like PRS guitars more without the birds. Is it just me?

What about Keisels? New may be above your budget....

Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-700-hh2-jpg
    Lol, all the PRS models I like are dot necks. I agree, the birds are ridiculous.

A headless like a Kiesel is very cool, but I've heard they have slim, shred style necks.

User Info Menu

They are awful those inlays. Proper full price double cutaway PRS’s are such dweeby guitars. Which is a shame because they are legit good.

At least Suhrs look OK, the Fender copies at least. The shred machines are ghastly.

Lionel Loueke had a nice sparkly red PRS IIRC, looked like a Mira or something.

User Info Menu

A headless like a Kiesel is very cool, but I've heard they have slim, shred style necks.
    Bah, I think you are right. I stepped through their "guitar builder" and the only neck option was for an even thinner profile! Even so on their take on a Telecaster, although that model did have an interesting option: a 26.5" scale neck. Baritone, anyone?

User Info Menu

I love the bird inlays on my '86 PRS Custom 24, as well as the birds on my other two CU24s. To each his own.

User Info Menu

like my prs se custom 22...has single slash hole..tho not very semi-hollow sounding...and pre bird markers...moons!!

has great vintagey gibby slightly beefy neck..real comfortable..and lightweight!

this one's presently on sale at chicago music exchange

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    They are awful those inlays. Proper full price double cutaway PRS’s are such dweeby guitars. Which is a shame because they are legit good.

At least Suhrs look OK, the Fender copies at least. The shred machines are ghastly.

Lionel Loueke had a nice sparkly red PRS IIRC, looked like a Mira or something.
    When I saw Lionel this past summer he played...one of those ugly D'Angelicos!

User Info Menu

When I saw Lionel this past summer he played...one of those ugly D'Angelicos!
    I like the Brighton!

But this might be more appropriate for a man of your advanced years, sorry taste:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/spring-s...uitar-in-black

User Info Menu

Lol, I honestly thought you posted the Brighton as a joke.

But then again, you've probably been to Hastings, Brighton, maybe even Eastbourne too.

User Info Menu

Dual Humbucker Solid Body Guitar Options-rev-roundhouse-jpg

These are worth checking out too...7.5ish pounds, nice neck carve. Reverend make some very cool guitars.

Roundhouse 2 | Reverend | Wildwood Guitars

If you prefer Fender scale length, these are very cool too...

STARPLAYER SPECIAL | Duesenberg

Last edited by IbanezAS100; 05-28-2020 at 05:00 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm with Chuck on this one. Why waste your time with all that greasy kid stuff? Get a proper chunk of mahogany.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-27-2022 at 08:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Lol, I honestly thought you posted the Brighton as a joke.

But then again, you've probably been to Hastings, Brighton, maybe even Eastbourne too.
    I'm actually from Brighton.

Nobody goes to Eastbourne.