The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Hi there, and sorry to bother you with a new video. I am trying to get a Polytonish sound with Eq, some Saturation and Reverb.
    I did some 6 Db Boost on the 350hz with a wide Q, low cut, and a gentel 6 db High cut.
    I know the Gibson archtop are nothing special acusticly but the tone is unexplainable fat. Superfat i would say.
    Strings are Fender Roundwounds 0.12. Recorded through an Audient Soundboard.
    Hope you enjoy it.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gustavo Eiriz; 05-24-2020 at 09:36 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gustavo,
    You posted the perfect video, at the perfect time, for me.
    That is exactly the sound I’d like to have to compliment the guitars I have. So I thank you for that.
    Outstanding playing. Gorgeous video and the sound, like I said, it is perfecto!
    I loved that video. I really did. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
    Thank you
    Joe DeNisco

User Info Menu

Wow-That's amazing!

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing and tone. I would never have guessed that was an L-5.

User Info Menu

Lovely, just lovely. Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

¡Gracias por compartir, Che! Muy bien hecho.

I have the same guitar but cannot play as lovely as you. Thank you for sharing your talent with us!

Roli

User Info Menu

A few comments ... first the good news: I love it. It sounds great. The bad news: it doesn't sound at all like a polytone and it doesn't sound fat. But it does sound great.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 05-24-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    A few comments ... first the good news: I love it. It sounds great. The bad news: it doesn;'t sound at all like a polytone and it doesn't sound fat. But it does sound great.
    Thanks Everyone! Jim thanks for the constructive critic. Everytime i travel and connect my guitar to a minibrute I feel like a heavenly fat tone, but sadly in here we dont have many polytones and i am trying to replicate what i seen in youtube videos by using eq and some saturation. What would you describe as a fatter sound? More tube type saturation? I didnt use any tube saturation plugin.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

I really resent my cheap computer speakers at times like this, because while I can hear the subtle drive you're reaching for and getting, these speakers are fizzy as hell and no way represent what you were hearing in the room as you played, I'm sure. Beautiful playing all the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    Thanks Everyone! Jim thanks for the constructive critic. Everytime i travel and connect my guitar to a minibrute I feel like a heavenly fat tone, but sadly in here we dont have many polytones and i am trying to replicate what i seen in youtube videos by using eq and some saturation. What would you describe as a fatter sound? More tube type saturation? I didnt use any tube saturation plugin.
    Thanks

I think it's great the way it is. Fat and dark can also get muddy and indistinct. What I hear is a spectacularly good direct sound: clear, crisp, and articulate but not at all sterile. My wife even came in from the other room to listen.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 05-25-2020 at 10:09 AM.

User Info Menu

I think Jim is spot on in his assessment-great playing & tone, but not a Polytone sound. This video is more reminiscent of a Polytone to my ears, although the gentleman in not playing an L5:

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    I think Jim is spot on in his assessment-great playing & tone, but not a Polytone sound. This video is more reminiscent of a Polytone to my ears, although the gentleman in not playing an L5:
    Thank you Helios, i used this video specially and someothers to mimic the sound, but it is certainly very difficult.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    Thank you Helios, i used this video specially and someothers to mimic the sound, but it is certainly very difficult.

I believe we're better off using the sound of others to inspire rather than copy. Ultimately the best sound for any guitarist is the sound that fits their playing. What you've produced in this video fits your playing very well ... and your playing is first rate,

User Info Menu

Great playing and to my ears, that is "superfat" tone.

That guitar is in the right hands.

User Info Menu

Absolutely beautiful playing on my favorite guitar. Bravo !
    Very high quality video too.

All you guys that know how to make these great videos is always a big treat. Thank you.

User Info Menu

I just finished watching it again from beginning to end. That really is fantastic. Everything about just works perfectly: the guitar, the arrangement, the playing, the chord selection and voicings. All of it.

User Info Menu

Gustavo,
    Most importantly, to me the sound and affect that you have articulated is delightful. It's clean and executed without flaw. I'm not bothered by the fact that I cannot distinguish a Polytone emulation effect. You have captured a sound from an L5 Wesmo that is beautiful and unique, and I enjoyed very much.
    Thank you,
    Steve

User Info Menu

Gustavo, I've posted this on Facebook. You're getting some very interesting new fans.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    I really resent my cheap computer speakers at times like this, because while I can hear the subtle drive you're reaching for and getting, these speakers are fizzy as hell and no way represent what you were hearing in the room as you played, I'm sure. Beautiful playing all the same.
    Agreed, I do not like the reproduction via my Computer's built -in speakers . If it is within your means , I suggest a Bose Bluetooth Speaker
    will transform the sound via your Computer to a much more acceptable one.

User Info Menu

Polytones have a boxy quality to the sound that your tone does not have. I don't think that is something lacking from your tone, as I often find that boxiness just a little unpleasant when I hear it in my sound. This, on the other hand, is very pure and open; I like the DI sound in general and I really enjoyed this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Polytones have a boxy quality to the sound that your tone does not have. I don't think that is something lacking from your tone, as I often find that boxiness just a little unpleasant when I hear it in my sound. This, on the other hand, is very pure and open; I like the DI sound in general and I really enjoyed this.
    WARNING: Polytone rant ahead!

Very well said, Cunamara. I don’t understand the fascination with the Polytone sound. They should have named the company Monotone. The Polytones I have owned and gigged with made better bass amps than guitar amps. Dull and lifeless for guitar (for me). After gigging with a Mini Brute IV for 2 years, I brought out my old BF Super Reverb for a gig and realized all that time my coveted Polytone had sucked. I had been so proud to wear the Polytone badge of legit jazzness by sporting my legendary MiniBrutes at my gigs. Using a better amp really opened my eyes to my immaturity in falling for the “if you have the coveted gear, you’ll sound better” myth. Good riddance to my nasally, muffled, rattling controls, overhyped MB II and MB IV. May they rest in pieces in the leaking capacitor, hot glue gun, fiberglass insulation, concentric controls, buzzing switches graveyard they deserve. Thanks for indulging me. Rant complete.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
    Last edited by rolijen; 05-26-2020 at 10:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Hahaa Roli. That was a good read.
    JD

Gustavo, Dont change a thing. Your sound is a by-product of your playing and your specific equipment. And you have achieved a sound that in my opinion is wonderful. Sound is subject to debate. Mainly because not everyone shares the same ears and the same brain. But when this set of ears/brain listens to your recording, I think its perfect.
    All the best to you. JD

Thanks everyone, i know what you mean... I am glad, that after researching for much time i reached a sound that i like, independently of the music i am playing. Polytone might be inspiring to play but not to hear... When i monitor myself playing it home using this mixing chain that i applied here the sound is dull to me, but when i hear myself recorded i like it.
    Anyway, we jazz guitar players dislike harshness in tone, but we dont like muddiness. Not a simple challenge..

User Info Menu

Take what you just did, (playing and all) and repeat it over and over.
    Dont change a thing. It is fantastic.
    JD

User Info Menu

Totally awesome piece of playing and sound!! It's just not fair ! you make it look sooooo easy !!! Don't think I could achieve that degree of finesse ever but it is great to hear the quality of playing one would like to aspire to. It gives us lesser mortals a target to aim for and the enjoyment is in the trying.