The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Been lusting after one of these Genzler Acoustic Array Pro amps for a few years now, but just could not pull the trigger at nearly $1100 (with NYS tax). They rarely show up used. But now this "covid" pricing made it irresistible.
    Genzler Acoustic Array-genzler-front-jpg
    Genzler Acoustic Array-genzler-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 05-24-2020 at 08:07 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

wow hope its great If it is and i get one i will tell them to give you a cut.Your endorsement.

Glad I bit it when I did! They only had 2 available at this price and the other one went petty quickly after.

User Info Menu

I owned a Genz Benz Shenandoah 85 for a number of years until it failed. It failed sometime after Fender bought Genz Benz and like Guild etc., they just killed the brand. So no repair. My Genz Benz was a great acoustic amp that sounded just fantastic when I played it from either an acoustic or my GBAA. I'm sure you will be pleased with the purchase. I look forward to your comments.

User Info Menu

Congrats Woody. Great looking amp with well-though out controls and plenty of features. Light-weight too. After you get it, let us know what you think.

User Info Menu

Woody, I don’t much about this type of amp but man does that look impressive.
    Beautiful. I hope it is all you dreamed it was.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Joe D

Yes it's definitely a different thing, an "acoustic " amp. More like a small FRFR pa amp with EQ and efx. The Contour control is basically a way to quickly vary anywhere from flat to scoop on the spot without have to mess with all the midrange controls. I play a lot of amplified acoustic instruments, especially in music theater jobs. Archtop, steel string, nylon, plectrum banjo, even uke. And I am hoping my wife can use it to sing through and plug in her Yamaha 76.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 05-27-2020 at 11:32 AM.

This amp is fabulous. Depth and clarity. Sounds incredibly natural with my Eastman carved top, and of course my flattop and nylon. Plugging into a PA often sounds shrill to me. Not with this. I am wondering if others are using "acoustic" guitar amps for archtop/jazz.

Genzler Acoustic Array-aap-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    I owned a Genz Benz Shenandoah 85 for a number of years until it failed. It failed sometime after Fender bought Genz Benz and like Guild etc., they just killed the brand. So no repair. My Genz Benz was a great acoustic amp that sounded just fantastic when I played it from either an acoustic or my GBAA. I'm sure you will be pleased with the purchase. I look forward to your comments.
    One of the original Genz-Benz Engineers is still servicing them. He is in CA, you can just remove the head and send it to him. Let me know if you are interested and we can PM.

User Info Menu

Woody, Thanks but I unfortunately scrapped the amp portion a couple of years ago. I kept the cabinet and use that with a Henriksen.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of acoustic style amps. Using an Acus 350 (similar to a Schertler Jam 400) or a Grace Felix with a Strymon Iridium in the fx loop driving a Yamaha dzr10 speaker.

You can take the acoustic sound out of a full frequency rig if you want, but you can't put it in with a lowfi guitar amp.

Sounds awesome, those GF things are supposed to be fabulous. My only problem with the FRFR speakers is, the weight is still up there around ~30 lbs or more. I wish they could get them down to less than 20, like many modern amps. For the gigs I do, I can take my Quilter, or Bud, or Genzler, and ALL are easier to carry than a heavy FRFR.

BTW, do you think one of the Acus/Schertler things could handle a belting female singer over a loud modern big band? I've been trying to find something my small wife can handle herself.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 07-01-2020 at 09:11 AM.

User Info Menu

While we used the Acus 350 for a female singer (soft-ish voice) with a jazz quartet, we did play at fairly low volumes and there was not a drummer. We played fully amped but the loudest element in the group was my acoustic tenor saxophone. We weren't pushing it by any means and the vocals were nicely out front, but I have my doubts it would keep up with drums. Also, I don't recommend Acus in the US. There is a real lack of support. But a Schertler Roy, while expensive, is one of the nicest bits of kit out there. Still pushing 40 pounds. Wish they had a monitor only version without the mixer section to shave a few pounds and dollars.

You're right about FRFR weight. Not as bad as you might think because the package is much more manageable than a guitar amp. Seems around 40 pounds is where it's at for quality stuff with plywood cabinets. And since I run acoustic archtop, vocals, backing tracks, and an Aerophone (sax synth) though the same speaker, I need full range. The Yamaha is a bit sterile compared to Acus/Schertler but there is never a lack of head room. And I'm shooting for a very good, not perfect, tone. I think you'll find the new Genz Benz is going to do a great many things very well and probably has better dispersion.

Speaking of perfection, I've yet to find a way to get that warm tube amp open back cabinet sound from an FRFR. It's quite usable and fun to tinker with but when I fire up my old Fender Concert, I'm reminded of some goodness from a previous era (and stronger back).