Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,
    I just posted another video. The Nearness of You.
    I took the Reverb Off from last time, and bumped up the volume a little. No Amp Simulation. This lets you really HEAR the Guitar. I cant wait till I get a Non-Floater Pickup Guitar. It will be nice to record with some variation in sound. I like the Floater sound, But I miss the way an Archtop sounds with a set in Pickup.

Thanks for Looking.
    Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joe,
    I love the sound of the guitar and your playing! Sounds fantastic!
    Keep it up buddy!
    Thanks,
    Steve

User Info Menu

Joe, that is a great-sounding guitar. Remember that it takes a real player to bring that out. Which you do, in spades. Keep it up!

BTW, the U-tube scrim at the end brought up 100% Joe D. vids. Cool!

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Beautiful playing ! One of my favorite songs. There is no better example of playing a Gibson solid formed guitar on the planet.....really. I know how hard it is to master these arrangements. Thanks for making these vids

User Info Menu

Nice job Joe. Johnny Smith is smiling.

User Info Menu

Joe, Sounds great and as usual wonderfully played. This is one of my top 10 songs. My "own" version is an amalgamation of arrangements by Martin Taylor, Chris Whiteman and Jack Wilkins.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Hi Everyone
    You keep going, maestro. Take your time. Some of the most romantic lyrics everrrrr on the bridge of that song . . .

If you want to add the verse, here's a modest demonstration from Prof. Vaughan:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone View Post
    Joe,
    I love the sound of the guitar and your playing! Sounds fantastic!
    Keep it up buddy!
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Hi Steve, this guitar is very unique. It’s sound and playability are extraordinary. It has “the Feel” and it’s a perfect companion for a player, (and an L5...)
    Thanks buddy. Joe D
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Joe, that is a great-sounding guitar. Remember that it takes a real player to bring that out. Which you do, in spades. Keep it up!
    BTW, the U-tube scrim at the end brought up 100% Joe D. vids. Cool!
    Thank you C74. I really appreciate you.
    The hydrometer in the hanging wall case read 49%. I took the guitar out and left the door open. The guitar kept going out of tune on me as I was playing. The fatter strings kept going SHARP! When I put the guitar back in the case, the hydrometer read 64%!! That never happened to me before. The hanging wall cases do a GREAT job of keeping the humidity and temperatures consistent.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Joe,
    Beautiful playing ! One of my favorite songs. There is no better example of playing a Gibson solid formed guitar on the planet.....really. I know how hard it is to master these arrangements. Thanks for making these vids
    Stevie, I’m glad I did this song. I rushed getting it done because a certain video that circulated through our group got me really pumped to do my own arrangement of the song, Somewhere.. I probably could have waited a couple more and polished this one up more, but I got work to do!
    Thank you buddy. Thanks for always being there. You are a great dude.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Thank you Mark. The other day, a Robin rested in the tree for an inordinate amount of time, right outside the window in the guitar room. I played every JS tune I knew, as best as I could. Just in case... one of the lines in this song came to me as I was playing it. I couldn’t figure it out before the Robin was with me..
    Quote Originally Posted by rob taft View Post
    Joe, Sounds great and as usual wonderfully played. This is one of my top 10 songs. My "own" version is an amalgamation of arrangements by Martin Taylor, Chris Whiteman and Jack Wilkins.
    Taylor, Whiteman and Wilkins? Wow. That must be one heck of a beautiful arrangement. Thank you Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
    You keep going, maestro. Take your time. Some of the most romantic lyrics everrrrr on the bridge of that song . . .
    If you want to add the verse, here's a modest demonstration from Prof. Vaughan:
    Thank you Sam. I’ll give that a good listen for sure. Hoagie had a way of running out a melody. Such a unique talent that graced the world.
    I’ll check out the Sarah Vaughan version.
    I am so proud to be able to play these beautiful songs. thank you buddy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

The other day, a Robin rested in the tree for an inordinate amount of time, right outside the window in the guitar room. I played every JS tune I knew, as best as I could. Just in case... one of the lines in this song came to me as I was playing it. I couldn’t figure it out before the Robin was with me..
    great!!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Nice arrengement and use of very closed voicing chords. Difficult to play. They sound terrific in amplified archtops. Congratulations.
    Its difficult not to get a harsh sound of an floating small humbucker like this but you get a very crystaline but warm sound.
    That being said I do prefer set humbuckers too. The soun is thicker.
    Probably the best you can do is changing the pickup for a full sized P.Bolfit or Kent Armstrong... If you route a pickup into this guitar you wont get the "superfat tone" label we expect because probably the top is thinner than in an L-5... Thats my experience doing it with a ver nice sounding Mr.Wu.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Another good one Joe, the recommendations are good here
    Sarah Vaughan, was fantastic , her vibrato, phrasing ,tone and
    breath control was just amazing, listen to "Body & Soul"
    or of her duets with Billy Eckstine. they're inspirational for
    instrumentalists, Ella too, like you J & I like Tony Bennett ,
    Johnny Mathis & so on. So keep 'em coming ,this place is
    great for listening to the tunes of yesteryear.
    Congratulations on the "Nearness of you " a classic.

User Info Menu

Hi
    I recorded this verson this morning, so you can see the differnces between the Solid Formed and the ES165 Floater.
    The 165 is noticably louder. That's because the pickup is a BJB. Versus the "JSmith" on the Solid Formed. The Settings were exactly the same for both videos.
    I think both are crystal clear. The 165 is brighter an more punchy. The BJB gives you more to work with.

Thanks, Joe D
    Last edited by Max405; 05-26-2020 at 07:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful Max. Y'know how couples have "their song?" Ours is "The Nearness of You."

User Info Menu

JD, I liked them both. The natural reverb is just right. I think I liked the 165 a tad better. I am not sure why, but I do think your playing was more relaxed on that one.

Great stuff. Looking forward to hearing you on another L-5 as well (when the time is right).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz View Post
    Nice arrengement and use of very closed voicing chords. Difficult to play. They sound terrific in amplified archtops. Congratulations.
    Its difficult not to get a harsh sound of an floating small humbucker like this but you get a very crystaline but warm sound.
    That being said I do prefer set humbuckers too. The soun is thicker.
    Probably the best you can do is changing the pickup for a full sized P.Bolfit or Kent Armstrong... If you route a pickup into this guitar you wont get the "superfat tone" label we expect because probably the top is thinner than in an L-5... Thats my experience doing it with a ver nice sounding Mr.Wu.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk
    Gustavo, thank you. I agree with you. A Kent Armstrong 12 pole Johnny Smith mini was recommended to me by Kent himself. I will get one as soon as I can get my tech to install it on a new pickguard.
    Thanks Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx View Post
    Another good one Joe, the recommendations are good here
    Sarah Vaughan, was fantastic , her vibrato, phrasing ,tone and
    breath control was just amazing, listen to "Body & Soul"
    or of her duets with Billy Eckstine. they're inspirational for
    instrumentalists, Ella too, like you J & I like Tony Bennett ,
    Johnny Mathis & so on. So keep 'em coming ,this place is
    great for listening to the tunes of yesteryear.
    Congratulations on the "Nearness of you " a classic.

Foxmann, Thank you very much buddy. Whenever I do a song, I listen to the way it was originally written and performed by it’s author. It’s funny, Johnnys arrangements are always faithful to the original.
    This one is no different.
    Thanks 007.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    Beautiful Max. Y'know how couples have "their song?" Ours is "The Nearness of You."
    Woody, that is really cool. There’s nothing better than love. Nothing.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    JD, I liked them both. The natural reverb is just right. I think I liked the 165 a tad better. I am not sure why, but I do think your playing was more relaxed on that one.
    Great stuff. Looking forward to hearing you on another L-5 as well (when the time is right).
    Hey brother, I totally agree. The sound is good just the way it is. No extra crap should be added.
    And yes, end of this year, God willing a nice L5 will become the apple of my eye. I will appreciate it till the end of my playing time. I want to settle dow with 3. One of these will definitely be one of those 3.
    Maybe 2 of them..
    I feel very comfortable with both guitars actually. I like a full neck. These guitars fill the bill. The L5 will slip right into my personal sweet spot.
    Thanks buddy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Another couple of gems, Joe. Thanks for sharing and brightening up the world a little. I think you make both guitars sound awesome.

Roli

User Info Menu

Very nicely done!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen View Post
    Another couple of gems, Joe. Thanks for sharing and brightening up the world a little. I think you make both guitars sound awesome.
    Roli
    Hi Roli, How are you?
    It’s easy to this with nice guitars. As Stringswinger always says, they inspire you to play more. When you play more, you get better. I’m working on it! Thanks my good man. Be well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
    Very nicely done!!!!
    Thank you Glenn.
    Just so you know. I have a thing for Walnut. I planted a couple of walnut trees in my life. One, I took a husk placed it in foil and buried it underground where there was a gully where the water would pool. A year later, we had a seedling! The last time I saw the tree was 12 years ago, and it was up to my shoulder! Seeing your guitar made us drive to the house we sold almost 15 years ago to see the tree. It has to be 15 feet tall now. I was proud! I’d love to play your guitar. It looks like a beauty. The energy and number of hours it took to hand carve the plates will absolutely result in a special sound. You did good sir!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    I thought exactly the same thing. That sounds excellent work.

User Info Menu

HFC, Thank you very much.
    The more I go back to listening to the sound of the 165, the more I hear how different it really is. The Sound I hear when I am playing is very different than how it records.
    That sound.. I havent achieved it yet. But when I do, the search will be over. And then, my golf game will improve. Radically..

Thank you very much everyone for sharing your time with me. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you all have enhanced this passion of mine. If I didnt have you all, I'd still play and the fire will still burn, but it will be to an empty audience. And it would be a lot less fun.
    I am sorry to keep bludgeoning you with videos. I know its gotten to be a bit much. I will chill out for a while. I promise.
    Thanks again everyone.
    JD

User Info Menu

HFC, Thank you very much.
    The more I go back to listening to the sound of the 165, the more I hear how different it really is. The Sound I hear when I am playing is very different than how it records.
    That sound.. I havent achieved it yet. But when I do, the search will be over. And then, my golf game will improve. Radically..

Thank you very much everyone for sharing your time with me. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you all have enhanced this passion of mine. If I didnt have you all, I'd still play and the fire will still burn, but it will be to an empty audience. And it would be a lot less fun.
    I am sorry to keep bludgeoning you with videos. I know its gotten to be a bit much. I will chill out for a while. I promise.
    Thanks again everyone.
    JD
    Keep those videos coming JD. Your contribution to this forum has been outstanding. As is your playing.

User Info Menu

Hi Joe,
    It is kind of neat that building a guitar can lead to someone re-visiting the planting of a tree that could well contribute to archtops at the end of it's lifetime. We take so much of what nature has to offer it is good to give something back so well done you!!

Walnut !!! I mean what's not to love the stuff is just gorgeous!! I think we will have to start a walnut "thing" club hehehehe.

we have large Kauri trees on our property that can live for 2,000 years and I have started to propogate seedlings and plant them out in the bush on protected areas of land so the future generations will have them to see. It makes nice guitar tops as well !!!!! The trees will still be here long after we are gone.

I added a sound clip to my post if you want to hear what my archtop sounds like.

Cheers Joe Happy playing

User Info Menu

Glenn, thanks for your post. The Kauri tree looks magnificent! It’s wood resembles purple heart, which is why I looked it up.
    Your guitar is incredible. I’m gonna give it a listen right now.
    Thanks.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

kauri is a really nice wood... aka agathis!...it is/was used by some guitar manufacturers as a mahogany alternative...looks and sounds similar...can be a bit heavy tho..but lovely looking resonant wood...i have an agathis guitar..a fave!

cheers