Another one, yes I know. Many of you have this amp.
    My first impression wasn't that good, but that's because I set all EQ's to 12 o clock and dialed in the master volume. It somehow pierced my ears, not because of the volume, but because of the frequency. I'm pretty sure I damaged my ears in years of rock playing. Can't stand drummers who can't play at low volumes any more. It seems I lost some of my hearing, but some frequencies literally hurt my ears.

Also, the headphone out has a hiss.

But after I EQ'd the mids at 9 o clock, it sounded way better, very nice actually. That mid button is not just a mid button I think. It adds some gain and other things too.

Anyway, today I went to a rehearsal with a base player and drummer and I brought two guitars plus the LJ on my scooter. What a joy!
    In the studio it didn't sound as good or full as my Tonemaster DR, but it was plenty loud enough and sounded nice, not for the size or the price, but just nice.

Now I understand why everybody has one of these. Shame about the headphone hiss though.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Experiment with it. Put it on a chair or something else to raise it, tilt it back while on the floor, move it closer to a wall or further from it, etc. The rear port makes it position sensitive, and also sensitive to what is under it, whether carpet, tile, wood, whatever. My tastes are different, and I tend to increase the mid a little above noon. But if you're used to a Fender with a mid scoop, you probably won't like that as much. It is not designed to sound like a Fender, and that's a big reason I like it. The real bonus, though, is the portability.

Yes, that portability is incredible. I mean, my Tonemaster is pretty light, but I can't bring it on my scooter. The LJ fits in my Shad 45 liter case, not with the lid closed, but a strap solves that. Also taking it up and down the stairs here in my house is a breeze. Even a Tonemaster requires a bit of lifting and 'steering' on a stair. The LJ is just running up and down in one hand.

User Info Menu

The headphone out is unusable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar View Post
    Another one, yes I know. Many of you have this amp.
    My first impression wasn't that good, but that's because I set all EQ's to 12 o clock and dialed in the master volume. It somehow pierced my ears, not because of the volume, but because of the frequency. I'm pretty sure I damaged my ears in years of rock playing. Can't stand drummers who can't play at low volumes any more. It seems I lost some of my hearing, but some frequencies literally hurt my ears.

Also, the headphone out has a hiss.

But after I EQ'd the mids at 9 o clock, it sounded way better, very nice actually. That mid button is not just a mid button I think. It adds some gain and other things too.

Anyway, today I went to a rehearsal with a base player and drummer and I brought two guitars plus the LJ on my scooter. What a joy!
    In the studio it didn't sound as good or full as my Tonemaster DR, but it was plenty loud enough and sounded nice, not for the size or the price, but just nice.

Now I understand why everybody has one of these. Shame about the headphone hiss though.
    Played an octet rehearsal outdoors today. The LJ sounded great and was more than loud enough. Amazing for the size, weight and cost.

Financial Disclosure: I paid full price at GC. It was around $360. I've seen it even cheaper at times.

Negatives: Not much to report. I had some trouble playing from my phone into the Aux input, which might be the fourth conductor's fault and not a problem with the amp. Some might find it inflexible, although I don't. The EQ is effective, the reverb is adequate if you don't turn it too high, but there are no other bells or whistles with regard to sound processing. I generally play with the bass knob almost all the way down and have occasionally wished it would go further in that direction. But, that may be a reflection of my gear and taste.

User Info Menu

Didn't last a day in my house! Never got what the hype was all about. Perhaps I didn't play around with it enough but there was something about it....