The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
Posts 451 to 475 of 482

User Info Menu

Didn't last a day in my house! Never got what the hype was all about. Perhaps I didn't play around with it enough but there was something about it....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have many people tried the Micro 60 paired with the 208 cab? Any idea how it is volume wise? Looking for something that will work in a quartet with a loud drummer and sax.

User Info Menu

I was using mine at a real volume level on Friday for the first time in about two months and immediately remembered why I like it so much. Warm, sweet, thick and easy to dial in.

User Info Menu

Thanks, at the moment I'm deciding between the Jazz 2x12 combo and the Micro 60 + 2x8 cab. The combo is 120 bucks cheaper. Unfortunately the dealer in my country doesn't look to be re-opening anytime soon so I can't try them just yet. I just need a nice clean and these seem to fit the bill, but occasionally I'll need volume.
    Last edited by acidskiffle; 06-21-2020 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

The LJ has a rear port.

It seems that no matter where I put the amp and no matter which way it's facing, I hear it pretty well.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has noticed that it isn't as directional as you might have expected?

User Info Menu

I find the 8" speaker in my LJ disperses the sound wider than larger speakers. It has no trouble filling a room.

I'm pretty sure the larger the speaker, the more beamy it gets, particularly in the higher frequencies. It depends on the speaker and many other factors I'm sure, but it's the general trend I've observed.

User Info Menu

Right, the smaller the speaker and the less baffle around it, the broader the projection. A guitarist I know complains that his sound doesn't "fill the room" in a guitar/bass/vocals duo. He insists on using a 15" combo.

User Info Menu

The other thing about bigger speakers (i.e 15") is that you need to be further away from them to properly hear them. That said, I'm very partial to 15" speakers for jazz guitar - particularly the JBL D-130. It's possibly my favourite guitar speaker. That said, for small venues there are far more practical choices available.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    The other thing about bigger speakers (i.e 15") is that you need to be further away from them to properly hear them.
    Right again. For a while, I had the Fender Excelsior "Pawnshop" amp. Its noise (especially close to a P90 equipped 5th Avenue) and dissipating heat made me nervous. A one-trick pony, I thought, and on the verge of exploding any moment. However, fellow guitarists and friends in the jam audiences kept praising the tone. Helsinki's leading guitar shop had a fixed price for accepting used ones, indicating a constant turnaround in ownership.

User Info Menu

That rear port also helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Duotone
    I have a Polytone Baby Brute Taurus and am considering the Little Jazz due to its even smaller size & weight.

Do you think it's in the same ballpark, sound wise, or better?

can you tell me what’s the taurus baby open back weight?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I was using mine at a real volume level on Friday for the first time in about two months and immediately remembered why I like it so much. Warm, sweet, thick and easy to dial in.
    Can you give a comparison between the Bud and the Little Jazz including fan/ambient noise? I'm thinking of re-buying a Bud (I sold to fund a PA system for my acoustic band) versus the Little Jazz.

User Info Menu

I've had both, so I'll give it a shot:

I had a 1st gen Little Jazz for a couple of years, and I liked it alot. Sounded great with my archtop, OK with my semi-hollow, and surprisingly decent with my electro-acoustic guitars and uke. The fan noise didn't bother me. I got a Meinl 10" Cuica bag for it which fit it perfectly.

But my main amp for over 10 years has been a Henriksen JazzAmp112, and it's dead solid perfect for me. And OK, I'll admit it, I'm an unabashed Henriksen fan-boy.

So I sold the LJ and got a Bud (2nd, not 3rd gen, I think). It's pretty much all I use now. What are the differences between the Bud and the LJ?

• They're about the same size and weight.
    • The Bud has a heat sink, not a fan.
    • The Bud has noticeably though not dramatically more power, but the Bud is loud enough with the volume at 12 O'Clock for a living room rock band rehearsal.
    • The Bud has 2 channels and far more extensive tone-shaping capability, including a very useful bright switch on channel 2 and a switchable tweeter.
    • The Bud sounds really good with everything I've run through it - even a mic'd banjo! It even works well at low volumes with a Fender bass.
    • The Bud has phantom power for condenser mics in both channels if you need that.
    • The Henriksen logo lights up when you turn the amp on!
    • And oh yeah, the Bud costs like 4x what the LJ does!

User Info Menu

OK... I'll re-order the Bud. Go figure.

User Info Menu

The LJ was redesigned a couple of years ago to stop fan noise.

They moved the fan. I have never heard the fan in mine, in about 19 months of regular use. As far as I know, they might have forgotten to install it.

There's a thread on this forum which has pictures of the old model and the new one. The difference is completely obvious.

As far as I can tell, the major retailers only sell the new one now. No fan noise whatsoever in my experience.

I played through a Bud once. It was upstairs at Rudy's and Rudy himself was using it to demo vintage D'Angelico's to a famous guitarist. That's a pretty good recommendation right there. And, that player happens to love the Bud -- but that had nothing to do with why Rudy used it on that occasion. Rudy had it set up before he ever knew that the player would be there that day.

That said, I bought the LJ, paid $359 instead of $1200 or so (don't recall the exact Bud price at the time) and I'm completely happy with the amp. I've seen it for $299 once. Brand new.

I wouldn't adopt the position that the LJ is "better" than the Bud, whatever that means. But, I'll say this. I can get my sound out of the LJ in just about every situation I've used it. Home, duo, various small groups indoors and out, and 19 pc big band (horns not amplified).

The one time I had trouble was at a corporate xmas party with a loud crowd and the band (bass horn guitar) stuffed into a corner in a room with all hard surfaces. I have no idea if there's an amp which would have been any better. I didn't care for the sound that day, but the client was happy and I got more calls from the contractor, so I guess it didn't suck that badly. OTOH, the load-in for that gig was awful and I was glad I brought a small, lightweight amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I roll the bass almost all the way off. Mids at noon, treble slightly below the middle,
    Today i discovered that when i turn the treble all the way off, it sounds really nice.
    It' something i'm not used to: turning knobs all the way down.

User Info Menu

One thing I did not like was the 120VAC IEC power cord supplied with the Little Jazz. The one I received seems extremely stiff. Anyone find a replacement 120VAC IEC cord they like that's flexible without paying high end audiophile prices?

User Info Menu

Aren't they all functionally identical?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Anyone find a replacement 120VAC IEC cord they like that's flexible without paying high end audiophile prices?
    Amazon has “hospital grade” coiled power cables for about $20. But I’d start by visiting thrift shops, as they often have a variety of used power cords for dirt cheap.

User Info Menu

It's the same power cable used for most computers. Any cable with the pentagonal end will work. I have about a dozen lying around from various computer/peripheral purchases over the years, because it's usually easier to just use the cable already in place than to deal with re-running the new one. All of them work fine with the Little Jazz. Some are thinner, some shorter, etc, but they all do the same thing. Any place that sells computer parts should have them in stock. As well as thrift shops, or wherever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    It's the same power cable used for most computers. Any cable with the pentagonal end will work. I have about a dozen lying around from various computer/peripheral purchases over the years, because it's usually easier to just use the cable already in place than to deal with re-running the new one. All of them work fine with the Little Jazz. Some are thinner, some shorter, etc, but they all do the same thing. Any place that sells computer parts should have them in stock. As well as thrift shops, or wherever.
    Same here. Lots of them lying around, left over from desktop computers and other defunct hardware.

I keep one of them in the trunk of my car, with the spare tire. That's because I've been on gigs where somebody forgot one. Haven't had to use it yet, but someday it will come in handy.

Here's a question though. The OEM LJ power cable is the same sort of thick cable as my old desktop computer used. But, for the LJ, it isn't carrying much current. A perfectly adequate extension cord is much thinner, more flexible and weighs less. So, is there any downside to buying the shortest power cable you can find and then using an extension cord with it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    So, is there any downside to buying the shortest power cable you can find and then using an extension cord with it?
    It’s one more connector to potentially fail on a gig, but avoid poorly make extension cords and you’re fine. I have a couple that will hardly grip the plug.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    One thing I did not like was the 120VAC IEC power cord supplied with the Little Jazz. The one I received seems extremely stiff. Anyone find a replacement 120VAC IEC cord they like that's flexible without paying high end audiophile prices?
    I replaced mine with this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

User Info Menu

AFAIK the only downside is having to carry two cables instead of one. At home, I tend to use the shortest cable I have handy. It's not something I stay awake at night worrying about. I also have a purpose-made extension cable, which only fits this type cable, that I keep in the bag with other stuff. I don't even remember where I got it. I suppose it looks more 'professional' than a generic extension cable, but it's less useful.

User Info Menu

I forgot my power cable at rehearsal a few years ago and ended up searching through an office building. It took longer than I expected, as all the desktops and monitors had been replaced by laptops.