The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Do any of you all that own telecasters with the old style 3 barrel saddles have intonation issues, especially higher up the neck?

If so, have you tried any of the replacements out there that are compensated in some fashion?

I want to stick with the barrels but would like to try something to get it to intonate a little better (I realize a guitar is never going to be perfect everywhere). At this point, I would like to keep the bridge and just switch out the saddles but I'm not opposed to getting an entire bridge to go with the saddles if it's a much better way to go.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a set of Wilkinson compensated brass saddles for my Tele. These have been reco'd to me on several occasions. My tech will put them on and intonate this week. I'll post a 'post' mortem!

User Info Menu

If you use a wound G string, flip the saddle over so the "G" end is closer to the nut.

I've never had any issues with three straight barrels personally. Good straight neck, well cut nut, and a tele's good to go.

User Info Menu

I went with compensated saddles ... it definitely didnt hurt.. I dont know what bridge you have but just changing the saddles is cheaper and easier..

but yeah.. guitar and temperment not words that get along well with each other.. that is why you see guys like danny gatton tune their G string a little flat (or sharp.. I forget) or guys with buzz feiten nuts ..

the trick I learned a long time ago is never play more than one note at a time.. it really helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scook
    ... At this point, I would like to keep the bridge and just switch out the saddles but I'm not opposed to getting an entire bridge to go with the saddles if it's a much better way to go. …
    No need to change the bridge.
    Yes, it's a much better way to go.
    It allows one to intonate a tele a lot better.
    These angled saddles are available in various materials - steel, brass, titanium and more, but brass best provides the traditional tele sound. They are offered by Wilkinson, Glendale, Callaham, Rutters, Budz and other parts makers.

User Info Menu

If you can't get close enough to be un-noticable with straight saddles, your guitar needs a setup.

User Info Menu

I bought one of these bridges w/ straight brass saddles and have no intonation issues.

What gauge of string are you using? Generally, the lighter the gauge, the more issues you will have with intonation on any straight bridge. Compensated saddles will run you $12 so it's an inexpensive experiment but I agree w/ Mr. B that you should have it checked if it is way off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    Generally, the lighter the gauge, the more issues you will have with intonation on any straight bridge.
    This is a really good point.

I use 12's on my tele...If I used 10's, I might want those compensated saddles.

User Info Menu

If you use skinny strings, you are going to notice the lack of compensation on the three barrel Telecaster bridge. If you use heavier strings...not so much. Put some TI 12s or 13s on there and you are in like Flynn.

I used to keep two Telecasters--one with TI 12s, and one with Fender 10s. The second one was for chicken pickin' country gigs. Now, I just have the first Telecaster. Works, for me. (Oh, I had six, compensated bridge pieces on the skinny-string Telecaster.)

Thanks for all the replies.

I still might upgrade the saddles but I will try the heavier strings first. I bought the guitar used and it seems like the strings are probably in the .10 range. I wasn't going to re-string it until I changed the saddles but I'll just go ahead and re-string it. I generally try to keep .12's or .13's on all my guitars so I have several sets around (much to my wife's dismay).

Russ, I'd still like to hear back from you about the Wilkinson.

Now to see if I remember the secret to changing strings on the vintage style tuners...

steve

User Info Menu

I agree with the previous comments that heavier strings are better. You can also try these compensated brass saddles that allow you to intonate each string individually yet keep the same look and sound of traditional tele brass saddles.

Telecaster Compensated Saddles-tele-saddle-jpg

User Info Menu

If you go with heavier strings (I like them), try Thomastik-Infeld Jazz-Bebop .12-.50 round wound strings. I like all TI strings. They seem to somehow be less stiff for their gauge than other brands of heavier strings (like D'Addario Chromes, for example--which I used for years).

User Info Menu

1. Strings have to be fairly fresh.
    2. It's more due nut, than it's the bridge. Some kind of "0 fret" can cure it all.

User Info Menu

If you are using a set of strings with a wound G the Wilkinson saddles are cut for a plain G

Telecaster Compensated Saddles-img_0344-640x478-jpg

I had to buy two sets of saddles for the wound G to intonate properly as they don't have the cut on the flip side. Then I found a weird overtone on the wound G. I had TI 12's on at the time and these saddles shaped cut wore out the soft string wrap and ruined the TI's. I got very pissed off at this point at all the expense and ditched the saddles.

Then I got these...

Telecaster Compensated Saddles-img_0718-640x478-jpg

These are Goldo harmonic brass barrel saddles. Can you see the slant? These you can flip for wound or un-wound G. They are much better IMO, your experiences may differ.

it comes attached to a Ron Thorn guitar, which you have to buy too to get the bridge. He hand-fits each one to the particular radius, string gauge and playing style of the consumer.

User Info Menu

Compansated bridge looks fine and I might give it a try soon, however I have another problem; When playing energetically, my low E string tends to slip toward the bridge and the outer rim of the neck, making the playing of this string quite tricky.
    Any cure for this?
    Last edited by mambosun; 06-04-2015 at 05:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mambosun
    Compansated bridge looks fine and I might give it a try soon, however I have another problem; When playing energetically, my low E string tends to slip toward the bridge and the outer rim of the neck, making the playing of this string quite tricky.
    Any cure for this?
    The neck might be off centre.

Another tip is to glue a small shim of sandpaper in the neck pocket that would grip when aligning the neck.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jazzbow but I'm not sure this comes from a off centre neck; when I relocate the low E string properly, i.e. withdrawing it from te screw of about 1 or 2mm toward the neck centre, everything goes back to normal, which includes the right spacing between low E and A strings.
    But I will anyway doublecheck this with my luthier.

User Info Menu

How about filing slight grooves on the saddle to help retain the string or...

Fender grooved saddles!?!

User Info Menu

Some time ago I bought a set of Wilkinson compensated saddles to improve intonation on my custom 72 rw tele. Middle saddle is reverse compensated, which is expected for the round wound set of strings where 3rd string is not wound.
    Recently I tried a flat wounds on that guitar and I am very excited with the result. The tone is very interesting. Big and round but with interesting clarity and attack.
    However, the middle saddle doesn't work well with flat wounds. Intonation of G and D is very wrong. One string is too sharp and the other is too flat. I am under the impression that one more saddle, identical to the 2 outer ones would do the trick. So I would just buy another bridge (its ~$20) and take one of the outer saddles from it to replace the middle, reverse saddle on this one.
    Is there anyone with similar experience? Does my theory look like it may work?

User Info Menu

Same thing on my tele. I just bought a spare set off saddles, not the whole bridge. Works great.

User Info Menu

Thank you. Can't seem to find the saddles that will match the ones I have: ( https://www.banzaimusic.com/Wilkinso...vs-nickel.html ) with reasonable shipping costs. I will dig little more in European shops.

User Info Menu

You can just swap places for "middle" and "low" saddle.

User Info Menu

Gotoh has two kinds of saddles which will solve your problem. There's also no name saddles whicch mount slanted for better compensation. For use with a wound G, just flip these saddles around (and move the height adjustment screws accordingly). Check them all out at wdmusic.co.uk or axesrus.co.uk.

You don't have to replace the whole bridge. But if you do, you might as well get one with six individual sadles. Again Gotoh (and others) has bridges which replaces "vintage" type bridges with four screw mounting. Ensure that the measurememts fit your guitar (string spacing among other things can vary).

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Or you can turn saddle bar upside down for plain barrel, not compensated.

User Info Menu

I think the middle saddle is designed to compensate the difference of the wound D to a plain G string. If you use a wound G string the compensation has to be the other way round. Maybe you try to just turn it 180°?