Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 51
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Long story short, I LOVED the sound of my ES175 but sold it because I couldn't play the darn thing more than 30 minutes sitting because my arm would go to sleep. Chalk it up to user error or just being used to all electrics, but I want that sound in a small size... crazy I know!

    What are some good cutaway ones I should consider for under 5k?  (Used it more than fine.)

    I was initially thinking ES-140 but I think the thin nut would not work for fingerstyle. I don't want a thinline since I already have a Collings I-35.
    Fibonacci Chiquita?
    Victor Baker 14?
    Tim Bram Tribute?
    Benedetto Bambino?
    Eastman AR145? (don't see any used ones)

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I've played the FIBONACCI model and while it was very comfortable the lack of resonance in that miniature box made it sound small, too.
    IMHO there is no alternative : if you want a deep and full sound without relying on a large amp/speaker combo and amplified volume then you need a larger soundbox. If you have trouble with the depth of your 175 then you might want to try a 17" wide model that has a slimmer rim, like a Byrdland, slimline L5 etc. Have you considered an Epiphone Sorrento, Guild Starfire III ? Those are 16" wide and slim, also.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I really like the sound of my Wu. It's 60mm deep (~2.38") with a carved spruce top, and sounds great both acoustically and amplified. You can order one to whatever specs you prefer. Mine was $1500 delivered. The coronavirus may have affected the price, but I don't know, because I haven't checked. It needed some minor nut work, but everything else was perfect. I have the action down to under a millimeter at the 12th fret. I also have two Benedetto Bambinos, a standard and a Deluxe. Both are great guitars, as is the Eastman T145 I have, but I prefer the Wu. It's the one I play every day. I have a DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickup on it, and I really like the sound. The lead time for having one built is ~3 months. I also have an Epi ES-175 Premium, and it's a fine guitar, but like you I find the depth uncomfortable. I find the smaller 15" bodies a little too small for comfort, because they seem to cause me to hunch over while playing. I think the ideal for me is in the neighborhood of 17" body, and 2.5" in depth. That can be hard to find in a factory-built guitar.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Corona — Westville Guitars

    Corona is not the luckiest name for a guitar these days, but small and great for fingerpicking. Lots of money though worth every penny.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JMoto View Post
    Eastman AR145? (don't see any used ones)
    There's one on Reverb right now -- $1,699.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JMoto View Post
    Long story short, I LOVED the sound of my ES175 but sold it because I couldn't play the darn thing more than 30 minutes sitting because my arm would go to sleep. Chalk it up to user error or just being used to all electrics, but I want that sound in a small size... crazy I know!

    What are some good cutaway ones I should consider for under 5k?  (Used it more than fine.)

    I was initially thinking ES-140 but I think the thin nut would not work for fingerstyle. I don't want a thinline since I already have a Collings I-35.
    Fibonacci Chiquita?
    Victor Baker 14?
    Tim Bram Tribute?
    Benedetto Bambino?
    Eastman AR145? (don't see any used ones)
    Maybe a Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro ?

    Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro | Guitars 'n Jazz

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Your signature seems to indicate that you have a PRS Hollowbody. I'm curious what you're looking for in a small jazz box that the PRS doesn't deliver. Cheers!

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Just my experience and what works for me. The short answer is the Benedetto Bambino for your quest of a more refined ES-175.
    Thinner depth, ebony fretboard, 25" scale length, feedback resistant at high volumes, easy to transport,etc. They tend to be in the $3k range used.

    PRS Hollow body is another alternative. But the acoustic sound is small and stiffer totally to my ears. I also am not crazy about their smaller medium neck shapes either.
    But from a gigging perspective, one the most versatile guitars out there!

    I would love to try the Westville guitars as well as Victor Baker smaller jazz guitars. But they are $4 k and above!

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Assuming you're looking for is amplified, I would suggest the Ibanez GB10, preferably one of the older Japanese made ones. If you're looking for a good, small acoustic archtop guitar then I'm afraid I don't know. Many archtops, however, are 3 inches wide at the rims which is thinner than an ES175 and that might make the difference.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Sadowsy SS -15 or Jimmy Bruno would do the job. Kinda rare on the used market, but they do occasionally turn up.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    I really like my Collings Eastside Jazz, but they are expensive. Try to find a used one. They sound great with humbuckers too.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Novice here so take my opinion with a grain of salt but, if you don't mind a tad brighter sound, I like my ES-275 ok. It's thinner, similar to a byrdland.

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy View Post
    There's one on Reverb right now -- $1,699.
    I've spelled it everyway I can think of and don't see it. Can you post a link please?

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJay View Post
    Your signature seems to indicate that you have a PRS Hollowbody. I'm curious what you're looking for in a small jazz box that the PRS doesn't deliver. Cheers!
    Oh man, I HATED the PRS. Had a singlecut HBI that was decent but the pickups were thin sounding. Thought I was upgrading to a HBII with the newest pickups and it was WORSE. Forget about the Piezo. It sounded like the Piezo couldn't be turned off. In studying up it seems a common complaint unless you rip the guts out and completely remove the board and effectively ruin resale. I took a big 2k loss to get away from it and will never go back to PRS. Great build quality but a very tin-y sound in their hollowbodies.

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    Just my experience and what works for me. The short answer is the Benedetto Bambino for your quest of a more refined ES-175.
    Thinner depth, ebony fretboard, 25" scale length, feedback resistant at high volumes, easy to transport,etc. They tend to be in the $3k range used.

    PRS Hollow body is another alternative. But the acoustic sound is small and stiffer totally to my ears. I also am not crazy about their smaller medium neck shapes either.
    But from a gigging perspective, one the most versatile guitars out there!

    I would love to try the Westville guitars as well as Victor Baker smaller jazz guitars. But they are $4 k and above!
    I'm only seeing chewed up Bambino's for $2600-3300. Where are you looking for good used ones at 3k?

    I HATED my PRS HB's; stiffer I guess you could say but the sound was horrible. Loved their solid body's though.

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny View Post
    I really like my Collings Eastside Jazz, but they are expensive. Try to find a used one. They sound great with humbuckers too.
    That was one of my original ideas since I already have 2 Collings I like. No used ones on Reverb right nowthough.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Am i the only person who liked the ES Les Paul? I played the studio version and it was a great jazz guitar for not that much money. The standards are obv a bit pricier.

    Not sure if they are still making them.

    LP Studios in general make great jazz guitars anyway.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JMoto View Post
    Oh man, I HATED the PRS. Had a singlecut HBI that was decent but the pickups were thin sounding. Thought I was upgrading to a HBII with the newest pickups and it was WORSE. Forget about the Piezo. It sounded like the Piezo couldn't be turned off. In studying up it seems a common complaint unless you rip the guts out and completely remove the board and effectively ruin resale. I took a big 2k loss to get away from it and will never go back to PRS. Great build quality but a very tin-y sound in their hollowbodies.
    Really? I tried a PRS hollow with a piezo that was startlingly good.

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    Maybe a Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro ?

    Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro | Guitars 'n Jazz
    That and the Bambino are currently at the top of my list! Thanks for the tip!
    How do you feel about the solid vs laminate versions? I know the ES175 was/is laminate so should I stick to that?

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Really? I tried a PRS hollow with a piezo that was startlingly good.
    To each their own apparently. I completely understand now why people either really like or don't like at all the PRS'.
    It was stunning, a neat top, all satin guitar, korina back. Totally beautiful and wicked light. But, the sound was tiny and thin.
    My Collings I35 beats it in every way so it didn't get to stay on the island.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JMoto View Post
    That and the Bambino are currently at the top of my list! Thanks for the tip!
    How do you feel about the solid vs laminate versions? I know the ES175 was/is laminate so should I stick to that?
    I would certainly go for the Benedetto if you can afford and find one. A friend picked up a Bravo for 3000 gbp (and a flipping Sontag for 2 jammy git.) so they are out there ....

    I think Reverb is a bit overpriced. Lot of people in denial.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Am i the only person who liked the ES Les Paul? I played the studio version and it was a great jazz guitar for not that much money. The standards are obv a bit pricier.

    Not sure if they are still making them.

    LP Studios in general make great jazz guitars anyway.
    Oh man... I wanted that Memphis Goldtop P90 one since the first time I saw it...

    "Best" Small Jazz Box?-es-les-paul-p90-wow-jpg
    Last edited by ruger9; 05-15-2020 at 02:01 PM.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    I would first try to suss out whether the problem you're having stems from the width of the guitar or its depth. I have shoulder issues, and can't comfortably play 17" guitars at all, struggle with some 16" guitars -- the line between comfortable and uncomfortable for me is somewhere between 3" and 3-1/2", depending somewhat on body shape.

    I have a Godin 5th Ave (Kingpin), which I find very comfortable. The higher-end Godin 5th Ave models have the same dimensions (but with a cutaway). I recently tried a Comins GCS 16 (specs say 2-3/34"), and found it very comfortable (with a pretty big acoustic sound). Eastman makes a couple of different 16" guitars that are under 3" deep.

    If you definitely need a body that's smaller than 16", I'd suggest one of the Ibanez GB10 variants.

    John

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    If you liked your ES-175, you could try an ES-175T.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    There's one on Reverb right now -- $1,699.

    Jmoto said:

    I've spelled it everyway I can think of and don't see it. Can you post a link please?

    Jmoto, I apologize. I just went back to the link and saw that it was sold. It probably was sold yesterday but I didn't notice it then. Didn't mean to send you down a rabbit-hole.

    Here's the link nonetheless.
    https://reverb.com/item/2370419-east...lowbody-ar145f

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JMoto View Post
    That and the Bambino are currently at the top of my list! Thanks for the tip!
    How do you feel about the solid vs laminate versions? I know the ES175 was/is laminate so should I stick to that?
    I did not play the laminate versions. I bought online from Doc Dosco who is one of the 2-3 Peerless dealers in the US. I have an Epiphone ES-175 Premium and it has a quieter acoustic sound. On the other hand, my Godin 5th Ave Jazz is laminate with a floating pickup and its acoustic sound has the same loudness of the Peerless but with a bit more sustain and a bit more bass than the Peerless.

    I like playing acoustically often so I wanted the carved sound and I also liked the aesthetics of the Maestro. It strives to be an affordable Benedetto with the 12th fret inlay etc. The Virtuoso model should get you the same electric tone and the playing comfort for $1000 less.

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Am i the only person who liked the ES Les Paul? I played the studio version and it was a great jazz guitar for not that much money. The standards are obv a bit pricier.

    Not sure if they are still making them.

    LP Studios in general make great jazz guitars anyway.
    I like mine a lot actually! The small body seems to produce a tad "trebely" tone than I really like. But if I am in the mood for a more modern jazz sound, it scratches the itch just fine. Plus (at least mine) is a gorgeous guitar!

    "Best" Small Jazz Box?-img_0521-jpg

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    jazzy tones on an ES-Les Paul...




    FFWD to 2:35


  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    FFWD to 2:15


  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    You like Gibson, you like hollow, you like humbuckers and to prevent your arm from going numb you need a thinline. I say the ES-330 with humbuckers: (I think it’s called Satin)






  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JMoto View Post
    To each their own apparently. I completely understand now why people either really like or don't like at all the PRS'.
    It was stunning, a neat top, all satin guitar, korina back. Totally beautiful and wicked light. But, the sound was tiny and thin.
    My Collings I35 beats it in every way so it didn't get to stay on the island.
    I had a PRS Hollowbody 2 very briefly. I think it sounds good (mine was an older model without piezos and the humbuckers were called "archtop" pickups) but I couldn't cope with the feel. It felt like it was always moving when playing standing up. Well, the back is convex and unfortunately so is my belly. And sitting down it felt very small. In theory a lightweight guitar is a good thing but this particular one told me that a little weight is not such ab bad thing.
    Eventually I gave it back and got an Ibanez GB10 instead – very solid feel and good tones so that's what I suggest to look at.
    Last edited by guavajelly; 05-17-2020 at 03:23 AM.

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Really? I tried a PRS hollow with a piezo that was startlingly good.
    I have a good friend(a former student) who plays jazz on his Hollowbody II. Great guitar. The thing I notice about those particular PRS guitars-they don't have the thump/low end that a bigger hollow body would have or even a semi hollow like a 335. But they are very articulate guitars. My friend loves his and it sounds great.

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Epiphone Uptown Kat ES


  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    JMoto,
    Check out Engel guitars. He has a 14" hollowbody that is nice. His approach is to get a nice, jazz sound at any volume without feedback, and they're great guitars!

    Marc

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Archtop tribute AT105M (2.5" Mid-Depth Model) NEW Natural / incl. Hard Case / Made in Japan

    Archtop tribute AT105M (2.5" Mid-Depth Model) NEW | Reverb

  37. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly View Post
    I had a PRS Hollowbody 2 very briefly. I think it sounds good (mine was an older model without piezos and the humbuckers were called "archtop" pickups) but I couldn't cope with the feel. It felt like it was always moving when playing standing up. Well, the back is convex and unfortunately so is my belly. And sitting down it felt very small. In theory a lightweight guitar is a good thing but this particular one told me that a little weight is not such ab bad thing.
    Eventually I gave it back and got an Ibanez GB10 instead – very solid feel and good tones so that's what I suggest to look at.
    Which version of GB10 is everyone recommending? I'm only seeing "get an older one" but that doesn't super narrow it down for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    jazzy tones on an ES-Les Paul...




    FFWD to 2:35

    Not many of those for sale unless you go epiphone?

    Quote Originally Posted by DS71 View Post
    I have a good friend(a former student) who plays jazz on his Hollowbody II. Great guitar. The thing I notice about those particular PRS guitars-they don't have the thump/low end that a bigger hollow body would have or even a semi hollow like a 335. But they are very articulate guitars. My friend loves his and it sounds great.
    As I said, others love the PRS and that's great. I preferred the HBI I had to the HBII with Piezo but never got to try one with archtop pickups which I know would have been better for my uses.

  38. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    You like Gibson, you like hollow, you like humbuckers and to prevent your arm from going numb you need a thinline. I say the ES-330 with humbuckers: (I think it’s called Satin)





    I didn't know about that model! Thanks!
    Now to find an affordable Collings version.

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JMoto View Post
    Not many of those for sale unless you go epiphone?
    They didn't make much of a splash and where first put on heavy sales around 2100€ and then discontinued, so if you want one you gotta find one used.

    It's not more than a couple of months ago that Thomann got some extra stock and sold them at 2100€ too .. but they seem to have gone completely now


    I was severely tempted several times, but somehow never pulled the trigger. Extremely lightweight and those unpotted MHS pups sound great (well .. the neck at least)

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Here's one that you don't see much. When you look at the price, you know why...
    https://reverb.com/item/33424558-bea...lar-humbuckers

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    With a Collings I35LC and a 290, I can’t imagine you’d have trouble getting a decent jazz tone with a body you’re already comfortable with.

    That said, a Collings Eastside LC sounds like it would be right up your alley, plus you know you already like the neck shape and build.

    Collings I30 LC would be another good option - same body shape as your I35, but fully hollow and with P90’s.

  42. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoryL View Post
    With a Collings I35LC and a 290, I can’t imagine you’d have trouble getting a decent jazz tone with a body you’re already comfortable with.

    That said, a Collings Eastside LC sounds like it would be right up your alley, plus you know you already like the neck shape and build.

    Collings I30 LC would be another good option - same body shape as your I35, but fully hollow and with P90’s.
    My only concern with the Eastside models was going in at that high a price for a 1 trick pony so to speak and no cheap used ones.
    At least with the I30 it could do more than one thing! Might even make me want to sell my I35! :O

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    Man, those Tribute ES175 and ES335 clones look nice! And finally clones with Mahogany necks, something I'm quite neurotic about, lol. Almost all other clones/copies have maple necks, but I'm a Mahogany-neck snob for those designs. I think the Tributes even use 1 piece necks. Well, I might be in trouble...

  44. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by caue amaral View Post
    Archtop tribute AT105M (2.5" Mid-Depth Model) NEW Natural / incl. Hard Case / Made in Japan

    Archtop tribute AT105M (2.5" Mid-Depth Model) NEW | Reverb
    I wouldn't want that model since it's the same full size as the ES175. BUT, they make a Jr that looks like a 140 copy!
    Have you tried one of their guitars in person to see about the quality?

  45. #44

    User Info Menu

    Sorry, i didn't really try one ... not available in my region ... but i would like to! other forum members will speak highly of them! in videos ... they look good!

  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    Another guitar to consider with ES175 looks, thinner rim depth and an affordable price.



    Here's an older thread:Seventy Seven Hawk...

  47. #46

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100 View Post
    Another guitar to consider with ES175 looks, thinner rim depth and an affordable price.



    Here's an older thread:Seventy Seven Hawk...
    Is that you? VERY nice take. I stayed witht that right to the last note. Nice guitar too. Is it 16" or 15"? Full hollow?

    EDIT: Apparently I'm consistent in my taste because I just went to the old thread to get more infor and I like this take a lot them too

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    Is that you? VERY nice take. I stayed witht that right to the last note. Nice guitar too. Is it 16" or 15"? Full hollow?

    EDIT: Apparently I'm consistent in my taste because I just went to the old thread to get more infor and I like this take a lot them too
    Not me but I agree it's a very nice take-great player and lovely sounding guitar. I don't own a Seventy Seven myself but was seriously tempted when I was in the market. The Hawk is fully hollow, 16'' as far as I know-for someone who likes 175s but is looking for something more comfortable it could be a great option.

  49. #48

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTT View Post
    Man, those Tribute ES175 and ES335 clones look nice! And finally clones with Mahogany necks, something I'm quite neurotic about, lol. Almost all other clones/copies have maple necks, but I'm a Mahogany-neck snob for those designs. I think the Tributes even use 1 piece necks. Well, I might be in trouble...
    Right there with ya! Why maple necks? No, no, no..... mahogany it needs to be! I find the resonance and sound of a mahogany neck very different (much more pleasing to me)!

  50. #49
    D'Angelico EX SS? Small, thin, airy, lots of sustain, affordable, will never get stolen because it looks like a cheap Italian maffioso who just received his first pay check.

  51. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar View Post
    D'Angelico EX SS? Small, thin, airy, lots of sustain, affordable, will never get stolen because it looks like a cheap Italian maffioso who just received his first pay check.
    So true! They are garish, but promising!