The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 112

User Info Menu

Just my experience and what works for me. The short answer is the Benedetto Bambino for your quest of a more refined ES-175.
    Thinner depth, ebony fretboard, 25" scale length, feedback resistant at high volumes, easy to transport,etc. They tend to be in the $3k range used.

PRS Hollow body is another alternative. But the acoustic sound is small and stiffer totally to my ears. I also am not crazy about their smaller medium neck shapes either.
    But from a gigging perspective, one the most versatile guitars out there!

I would love to try the Westville guitars as well as Victor Baker smaller jazz guitars. But they are $4 k and above!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Assuming you're looking for is amplified, I would suggest the Ibanez GB10, preferably one of the older Japanese made ones. If you're looking for a good, small acoustic archtop guitar then I'm afraid I don't know. Many archtops, however, are 3 inches wide at the rims which is thinner than an ES175 and that might make the difference.

User Info Menu

Sadowsy SS -15 or Jimmy Bruno would do the job. Kinda rare on the used market, but they do occasionally turn up.

User Info Menu

Novice here so take my opinion with a grain of salt but, if you don't mind a tad brighter sound, I like my ES-275 ok. It's thinner, similar to a byrdland.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJay
    Your signature seems to indicate that you have a PRS Hollowbody. I'm curious what you're looking for in a small jazz box that the PRS doesn't deliver. Cheers!
    Oh man, I HATED the PRS. Had a singlecut HBI that was decent but the pickups were thin sounding. Thought I was upgrading to a HBII with the newest pickups and it was WORSE. Forget about the Piezo. It sounded like the Piezo couldn't be turned off. In studying up it seems a common complaint unless you rip the guts out and completely remove the board and effectively ruin resale. I took a big 2k loss to get away from it and will never go back to PRS. Great build quality but a very tin-y sound in their hollowbodies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Just my experience and what works for me. The short answer is the Benedetto Bambino for your quest of a more refined ES-175.
    Thinner depth, ebony fretboard, 25" scale length, feedback resistant at high volumes, easy to transport,etc. They tend to be in the $3k range used.

PRS Hollow body is another alternative. But the acoustic sound is small and stiffer totally to my ears. I also am not crazy about their smaller medium neck shapes either.
    But from a gigging perspective, one the most versatile guitars out there!

I would love to try the Westville guitars as well as Victor Baker smaller jazz guitars. But they are $4 k and above!
    I'm only seeing chewed up Bambino's for $2600-3300. Where are you looking for good used ones at 3k?

I HATED my PRS HB's; stiffer I guess you could say but the sound was horrible. Loved their solid body's though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I really like my Collings Eastside Jazz, but they are expensive. Try to find a used one. They sound great with humbuckers too.
    That was one of my original ideas since I already have 2 Collings I like. No used ones on Reverb right nowthough.

User Info Menu

Am i the only person who liked the ES Les Paul? I played the studio version and it was a great jazz guitar for not that much money. The standards are obv a bit pricier.

Not sure if they are still making them.

LP Studios in general make great jazz guitars anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JMoto
    Oh man, I HATED the PRS. Had a singlecut HBI that was decent but the pickups were thin sounding. Thought I was upgrading to a HBII with the newest pickups and it was WORSE. Forget about the Piezo. It sounded like the Piezo couldn't be turned off. In studying up it seems a common complaint unless you rip the guts out and completely remove the board and effectively ruin resale. I took a big 2k loss to get away from it and will never go back to PRS. Great build quality but a very tin-y sound in their hollowbodies.
    Really? I tried a PRS hollow with a piezo that was startlingly good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Maybe a Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro ?

Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro | Guitars 'n Jazz
    That and the Bambino are currently at the top of my list! Thanks for the tip!
    How do you feel about the solid vs laminate versions? I know the ES175 was/is laminate so should I stick to that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    To each their own apparently. I completely understand now why people either really like or don't like at all the PRS'.
    It was stunning, a neat top, all satin guitar, korina back. Totally beautiful and wicked light. But, the sound was tiny and thin.
    My Collings I35 beats it in every way so it didn't get to stay on the island.

User Info Menu

How do you feel about the solid vs laminate versions? I know the ES175 was/is laminate so should I stick to that?
    I would certainly go for the Benedetto if you can afford and find one. A friend picked up a Bravo for 3000 gbp (and a flipping Sontag for 2 jammy git.) so they are out there ....

I think Reverb is a bit overpriced. Lot of people in denial.

User Info Menu

Am i the only person who liked the ES Les Paul? I played the studio version and it was a great jazz guitar for not that much money. The standards are obv a bit pricier.

Oh man... I wanted that Memphis Goldtop P90 one since the first time I saw it...

"Best" Small Jazz Guitar (Archtop)-es-les-paul-p90-wow-jpg
    Last edited by ruger9; 05-15-2020 at 02:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I would first try to suss out whether the problem you're having stems from the width of the guitar or its depth. I have shoulder issues, and can't comfortably play 17" guitars at all, struggle with some 16" guitars -- the line between comfortable and uncomfortable for me is somewhere between 3" and 3-1/2", depending somewhat on body shape.

I have a Godin 5th Ave (Kingpin), which I find very comfortable. The higher-end Godin 5th Ave models have the same dimensions (but with a cutaway). I recently tried a Comins GCS 16 (specs say 2-3/34"), and found it very comfortable (with a pretty big acoustic sound). Eastman makes a couple of different 16" guitars that are under 3" deep.

If you definitely need a body that's smaller than 16", I'd suggest one of the Ibanez GB10 variants.

John

User Info Menu

If you liked your ES-175, you could try an ES-175T.

User Info Menu

I did not play the laminate versions. I bought online from Doc Dosco who is one of the 2-3 Peerless dealers in the US. I have an Epiphone ES-175 Premium and it has a quieter acoustic sound. On the other hand, my Godin 5th Ave Jazz is laminate with a floating pickup and its acoustic sound has the same loudness of the Peerless but with a bit more sustain and a bit more bass than the Peerless.

I like playing acoustically often so I wanted the carved sound and I also liked the aesthetics of the Maestro. It strives to be an affordable Benedetto with the 12th fret inlay etc. The Virtuoso model should get you the same electric tone and the playing comfort for $1000 less.

User Info Menu

I like mine a lot actually! The small body seems to produce a tad "trebely" tone than I really like. But if I am in the mood for a more modern jazz sound, it scratches the itch just fine. Plus (at least mine) is a gorgeous guitar!

"Best" Small Jazz Guitar (Archtop)-img_0521-jpg

User Info Menu

jazzy tones on an ES-Les Paul...

FFWD to 2:35

User Info Menu

FFWD to 2:15

User Info Menu

You like Gibson, you like hollow, you like humbuckers and to prevent your arm from going numb you need a thinline. I say the ES-330 with humbuckers: (I think it’s called Satin)

User Info Menu

To each their own apparently. I completely understand now why people either really like or don't like at all the PRS'.
    It was stunning, a neat top, all satin guitar, korina back. Totally beautiful and wicked light. But, the sound was tiny and thin.
    My Collings I35 beats it in every way so it didn't get to stay on the island.
    I had a PRS Hollowbody 2 very briefly. I think it sounds good (mine was an older model without piezos and the humbuckers were called "archtop" pickups) but I couldn't cope with the feel. It felt like it was always moving when playing standing up. Well, the back is convex and unfortunately so is my belly. And sitting down it felt very small. In theory a lightweight guitar is a good thing but this particular one told me that a little weight is not such ab bad thing.
    Eventually I gave it back and got an Ibanez GB10 instead – very solid feel and good tones so that's what I suggest to look at.
    Last edited by guavajelly; 05-17-2020 at 03:23 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a good friend(a former student) who plays jazz on his Hollowbody II. Great guitar. The thing I notice about those particular PRS guitars-they don't have the thump/low end that a bigger hollow body would have or even a semi hollow like a 335. But they are very articulate guitars. My friend loves his and it sounds great.

User Info Menu

Epiphone Uptown Kat ES

User Info Menu

JMoto,
    Check out Engel guitars. He has a 14" hollowbody that is nice. His approach is to get a nice, jazz sound at any volume without feedback, and they're great guitars!

Marc

User Info Menu

Archtop tribute AT105M (2.5" Mid-Depth Model) NEW Natural / incl. Hard Case / Made in Japan

Archtop tribute AT105M (2.5" Mid-Depth Model) NEW | Reverb