Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 55

User Info Menu

I’d read on Facebook that Bob had fallen gravelynill. I’m sad to report news of his passing. Let me add what was in Facebook:

It’s with a very heavy heart that I make this post. My friend, Robert LaFond Jr passed away yesterday. We met because he wrote a book about taking guitar lessons from Randy Rhoads. We became friends after the first event to honor him. He asked me to help sponsor the second event and for my efforts he gifted me a real lesson page from his book. It’s page 40 if you have it. I hope you are jamming in heaven with Randy again. Rest In Peace, my friend.

BigRip rhodes scholar-d56df1db-a188-4e55-b898-836f59cd6337-jpegRip rhodes scholar-41494d74-e3a9-474c-9933-7e1b2a09b1c4-jpegRip rhodes scholar-86938f50-df30-4feb-9ba3-764bb7d8f754-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

RIP Bob. I am glad that we met during our brief stay in this existence.

User Info Menu

Oh My God, that is terrible.
    I didnt know he was sick. This is terribly sad news.
    Rest in peace Bob.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Sad news indeed. He'll be missed.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

RIP, Bob.
    Condolences to his family and close friends.

User Info Menu

I had the great privilege to know Bob. He came out to California every year to see his son. On our last meet he was very upbeat with the joy of retiring soon. He was a gentle giant. He loved guitar horse trading. A man of great faith. He is with Jesus.
    I was honored to know him. RIP my friend.

User Info Menu

Tragic! I didn’t know Bob - my prayers and condolences go out to his family. I will miss seeing “Rhoadscholar” posts. As we get older we must cherish our time, live life to the fullest and enjoy our friendships. May he rest In Peace.

User Info Menu

Very Sad news to lose a fellow jazz guitarist and friend to many on this Forum
    RIP Bob and condolences to the family

Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

Bob and I have this perpetual guitar swap meet going on. I didn't know it was musical chairs and the music would stop.

I've got his 1950s Gibson 125 at my home that he asked me to have Pete Moreno do some work on. I also "bought" his LeGrand which he was to buy back post COVID after he got paid for all of his overtime. I haven't even played the LeGrand, but it's a beauty.

I'll sort all this out with his son, Jason, after some time has passed.

I'll said this before. Bob had a dream of a group of guys buying some guitars and rotating them like a co-op. In retrospect, some of us more or less did that. Now the music has stopped.

I will encourage Jason to keep the forum in mind if something is to be sold. Here's one of his really cool ones.

Rip rhodes scholar-toty_guitar-jpg

Here's Bob!

Rip rhodes scholar-legrand1-jpgRip rhodes scholar-legrand2-jpg

User Info Menu

Every picture I’ve seen of him, he had a smile on his face.
    This is really sad.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

This is very sad after a brief hope of recovery was announced. May you enjoy your journey in eternal light and divinely improvised music with your heroes, Bob ! :

User Info Menu

Ashes to ashes 'n dust to dust, if the women don't get you, the likker must.

Oh! Didn't he ramble!

User Info Menu

Always sad when a member passes away and before his / her time on top of that. RIP Bob...

User Info Menu

Oh no.

So sad to hear this.

Rest in peace Bob, and I am sure the deepest condolences of all of us to his family- and my condolences to his friends here on the forum.

Life is short enough at the best of times, let alone something like this.

User Info Menu

Very sad.

User Info Menu

Only early 60's. I am 6ft tall and only came up to his shoulder. I remember him playing my 175. It looked like he was playing a Les Paul. Like I said...a soft spoken gentle giant. I remember the 1st time I met him. I liked him instantly. He had a good soul and now he is in a better place.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 05-13-2020 at 03:41 PM.

User Info Menu

He was 59 actually! Tick, tock, tick, tock.

User Info Menu

Rest In Peace I believe I sold him a pickguard over the last year or two. Seem like a nice fellow and too young.

User Info Menu

We nearly traded on the Black GE I had. It's a shame! I didn't even know he was ill! RIP.

User Info Menu

There was an earlier thread in the everything else section

User Info Menu

Sad to hear this. Rest in Peace.

User Info Menu

Bob, now that you're up there, could you put in a good word for the rest of us?

User Info Menu

So sad.

User Info Menu

Very sorry to hear this. You really just never know what's going to happen from one minute to the next. We often think we do, but one really doesn't know. Way to young, I will keep his family in my thoughts.
    This seems appropriate:

User Info Menu

Yes, to add to what Joe D said, a smile like that is going to be sadly missed......

Rest in Peace Bob, and all the best to your family.

Thanks Mike for letting us know.

Dennis

User Info Menu

I didn't know Bob except to sense his presence through this forum. His participation here will be missed. I offer his family my condolences.

User Info Menu

Such tragic news - my condolences to all his family, friends and loved ones.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I only knew him from a few exchanges online. He seemed like a thoughtful, warm, and real guy.

My sympathies to his friends and family in y'all's grief.

User Info Menu

I didn’t know Bob, but I always enjoyed reading his posts. They, and by extension he, will be greatly missed.

What a great idea a guitar coop sounds like. I would be scared that I would be the guy who would drop one of them though.

I feel silly for never realizing the reason for the spelling of his forum name.

My condolences to his family and friends.

User Info Menu

TERRIBLE. RIP Brother.

User Info Menu

anyone know if it was covid 19 related?

I got that Toty Viola special Heritage from Bob back in 2017. When I met George Benson I mentioned I had just purchased it and we talked a bit about how he, Toty and Heritage worked together to make that happen. Bob eventually bought it back from me and I know he loved it... I'll pass on to Toty that Bob has passed.

RIP Bob I know you're in the loving arms of Our Lord...

Big

Rip rhodes scholar-img_1568-jpgRip rhodes scholar-img_1570-jpgRip rhodes scholar-18121907_10154654089822239_3463083646819031665_o-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 05-14-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Bob with the American Eagle #19
    Bob I assure you it will be on display someday with your pictures alongside it.

ps: silly me, until the other day when I saw the tribute to him and Randy Rhodes on Facebook I thought Rhodes Scholar meant he was some high browed Ivy League guy...

Rip rhodes scholar-c71113a9-b211-4efc-9eb9-b59b6ab28f2a-jpgRip rhodes scholar-d3566330-af7f-4a23-bff7-325c81f718f0-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 05-14-2020 at 11:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Not COVID-19. Test negative.

The co-op idea we thought would be problematic, all because of people breaking the rules, damaging the guitars, etc. But somehow it's worked in a way. The Toty shown above was bought by me then ended up bouncing around among friends. Big Mike bought a Sweet 16. I got it from Big. Bob got it later. Now I have it. The American Eagle also made the rounds with Bob, Big and me. The cherry L5 I got from DannyW went to Bob for a long time but is with me now. It goes on and on.

Rest Easy Bob

Rip rhodes scholar-058736c3-6d6d-4ca6-af19-5a8e4919c56f-jpeg

User Info Menu

I enjoyed reading all his posts and contributions over the years. May his family and love ones find some peace.

User Info Menu

Like most, I only new Bob through his posts on this forum and had no idea what the "RhodesScholar" name meant. I found Bob's background really interesting. To bad we don't know more about each other while we're still around. Sending thoughts and prayers to his family.

User Info Menu

Judging by the photographs, he really did shrink a guitar down to size when he was playing it. That Heritage looks like a GB10 on him!

User Info Menu

RIP Bob. You will be missed!

User Info Menu

Here's another guitar that's been passed around. I've had this a couple of times. Bob has, too. A good friend of mine in New York had it for a while. Dave's guitar shop had for a couple of days. Bob bought it back. He swapped it to me close to year ago with new Lollar Imperials in it.

I'd say this guitar is a keeper, but who'd believe that? The fact that it's been passed around in our circle for years means it's a keeper- sorta.

Bob makes a guitar look small.

Rip rhodes scholar-97719775_10217771608184949_349500537055477760_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Here's one I sent to him in 2019.
    VERY nice guitar and he told me he was quite pleased with it:
    Attached Images Attached Images Rip rhodes scholar-heritage-h525-ptdvsb-burst-2007-front-jpg Rip rhodes scholar-heritage-h525-ptdvsb-burst-2007-rear-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-16-2020 at 05:33 PM.

User Info Menu

That's a gorgeous H-525. That's the second one I know he's had.

He gigged playing rock for the most part, which he loved.

He was about a year from retirement. His dream was to attend Wayne State University for jazz studies. Jazz Studies - Department of Music - Wayne State University

He had it worked out in terms of tuition and the logistics. He was serious about it and he was excited.

User Info Menu

So sad RIP Bob.

He was a nice guy and will be remembered. A horrible loss.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Some great comments on his obituary. Bob was a good man. A heart as big as his height.

User Info Menu

Bob was indeed a good man - loved by many people. Very heartbreaking to family and friends.

User Info Menu

Thank You for posting this. Only knew him from this forum, but obviously a Good Guy.

I confess to being irritably curious as to how the Scholar's condition was missed or simply allowed to go too far.

This is the 21st century, is it not, Doctor?

User Info Menu

He had a massive heart attack. It left him with less than 30% of normal heart function. He never got out of the hospital.

Your question is fair. How in the 21st century can this happen? I don't know how much warning he got as an individual. We have plenty of warning as a society. But that's a separate topic!

User Info Menu

Man plans.....God decides.