The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Has anyone had a chance to play any of the new line of Larry Carlton guitars from Sire? If you haven't seen them, I believe they were announced at NAMM in January. There is the H7 which a 335-type model. (Actually, it's advertised as a hollowbody, so I guess it's more like a 330). The S Series is a Strat-style guitar, and the L-Series is a Les Paul-style. I believe there is also a line of acoustics. Apparently, LC was involved in the design.

Here's Larry Carlton playing an H7 on his Facebook page. The sound isn't very good, so it's hard to hear the tone. Larry Carlton - International jazz day celebration. | Facebook

Here's LC with a quick one minute promo on Facebook: Sire USA - SIRE x LARRY CARLTON | Facebook

Here are the guys at Anderton's reviewing the guitars:

Here's a Gear News article: Sire Larry Carlton Collection launched with three new models for under PS500! - gearnews.com

I would love to play one. What Sire did with Marcus Miller's bass, is pretty extraordinary. A $600 ES-style guitar would be great.

It looks like Chicago Music Exchange is going to carry them. Thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's Larry recently playing one of his signature Sire guitars. Probably not a good audio example as who knows what amp he is using and it sounds to me he is recording the audio along with the video through a smartphone mic/camera. Is that a Blues Jr. amp in the background?

Sure looks good though and at $659 a reasonable priced new addition to the 335 style of guitars.

Larry Carlton - International jazz day celebration. | Facebook

User Info Menu

I would love to try that Strat.
    Price looks cool, Larry Carlton is also cool.
    Sire basses are solid.
    Would love to try that Strat.

User Info Menu

Just a follow-up: I spoke to Chicago Music Exchange and they will be carrying them, probably later in the summer, as production has been slowed due to COVID-19.

User Info Menu

Sire is also offering a beautiful Larry Carlton signature acoustic-electric model (R7-G GA Cutaway).

It specs out with solid spruce top, solid rosewood back/sides, mahogany neck,ebony fretboard with abalone inlays and purfling.

It's priced under $1,000.

User Info Menu

I think in Andertons review they said that Strats and ES are ready, but acoustic will be tiny bit more "late" ....

Or something along that lines, that some models are done, some not - if I remember right.

User Info Menu

I'm 62, have been playing guitar for 50 years, and have never had a Les Paul style guitar. So, I preordered this Larry Carlton Signature L7 model in tobacco sunburst:
    Attached Images Attached Images Larry Carlton line of Sire Guitars-sire-l7-png 

User Info Menu

I am for sure open up to try Larry Carlton Strat.
    Or Michael Kelly Strats.
    Both should be similar, cheap and rock solid.
    I would love to try out this 2 companies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena
    I am for sure open up to try Larry Carlton Strat.
    Or Michael Kelly Strats.
    Both should be similar, cheap and rock solid.
    I would love to try out this 2 companies.
    I have a problem in my house with single coil hum. I've got a strat and a tele with noiseless pickups, I also have an Ibanez 335 style guitar. So, for me the Sire L7 fits the best with my other guitars.

I'd guess the Sire L7 (Les paul style) won't sale as much as the H7 (semi-Hollow) or the S7 (Strat style). It seems like the H7 is the most obvious choice for a Larry Carlton, Mr. 335. signature guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkipBurz
    There is the H7 which a 335-type model. (Actually, it's advertised as a hollowbody, so I guess it's more like a 330).
    On the web site is is called semi-hollow, which makes more sense, given the stop tailpiece.

User Info Menu

I’ve never heard of “Sire”. There are a lot of cheap knockoffs. Not being snarky, I honestly want to know. Why are these any different, or what is the apparent excitement about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I’ve never heard of “Sire”. There are a lot of cheap knockoffs. Not being snarky, I honestly want to know. Why are these any different, or what is the apparent excitement about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Larry Carlton's reputation for one. But maybe more so the reputation of their existing products, in particular the Marcus Miller signature basses.

And like the Marcus Miller series were to Marcus Miller specs, the Larry Carlton series is to Larry Carlton specs, neck profile, woods, pup voicings...

User Info Menu

As others have noted, they made a big splash with their active Marcus Miller basses. High quality at a moderate price. MIK.

User Info Menu

I know Larry likes thin necks. Will that carry thru? Will I sound like Larry???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I have a Sire A7 acoustic. It's a signature model for a Sungha Jung. No idea who he is, and couldn't really care less. I went to the store with a couple of Taylor, Faith and Alvarez models in mind, but walked out with the Sire having tried them all. Seriously good guitar at a very competitive price.