The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I’ve got an L5 style archtop that I really like even though it’s not an expensive guitar. I was planning on buying a new floating bridge assembly but I’m wondering if there is a website I can buy just the top part of the bridge without the base? As long as the measurement between the posts matches I think that would work? I think the distance between posts is a little over 3”.

If I could find that it would be cheaper plus I wouldn’t have to sand down the base to fit the contour of the archtop.

i checked stew-mac but they only offered both pieces together. Hoping someone has done this and can offer some advice.
    Last edited by Bmx; 05-11-2020 at 10:47 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do you want a wooden bridge top or a Tune-o-Matic bridge top?

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Do you want a wooden bridge top or a Tune-o-Matic bridge top?
    Id probably do either at this point. I’m guessing wood would be easier to find?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bmx
    Id probably do either at this point. I’m guessing wood would be easier to find?
    ...and you guess wrong.

User Info Menu

Post spacing differs between US and import guitars with regular bridges, when you get into floating bridges it's the Wild West on post spacing. Best to buy the whole bridge (base and saddle).

You will likely need to shape the bottom of the bridge base to the top of your guitar as guitar top shape is also non-standard.

User Info Menu

It can be harder than you think to find well made archtop bridges. Would avoid the ones on Amazon/Ebay etc. The Stewmac ones are OK but overall I've had the best luck with these:

Guitar Parts Factory - Wood Bridges

User Info Menu

I've done this to all my guitars. I'm a stainless steel fan, so I use Callaham bridges, usually in metric. Also like Tru arc bridges.

Gotoh, tone pros and Faber (?) Might be more affordable replacements.

As for wood bridges, can't help you there, but I'm sure plenty of luthiers out there will carve one out for you. Maybe archtop.com has some (or some leads)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    ...and you guess wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    Post spacing differs between US and import guitars with regular bridges, when you get into floating bridges it's the Wild West on post spacing...
    Yeah, but if the holes on the top piece go all the way through it is very easy to take a small round file to them and elongate them to fit an existing base. About a 5 minute job.

User Info Menu

Forum member Matt Cushman can make you a custom wood bridge top; he has done three for me with excellent craftsmanship.

Measure the posts and look at TOM tops, too; it is not unusual for floating bridges to use that dimension. With Graph Tech String Saver saddles, they would sound a lot less metallic and closer to wood. But then Wes Montgomery used the standard TOM, so...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Forum member Matt Cushman can make you a custom wood bridge top; he has done three for me with excellent craftsmanship.

Measure the posts and look at TOM tops, too; it is not unusual for floating bridges to use that dimension. With Graph Tech String Saver saddles, they would sound a lot less metallic and closer to wood. But then Wes Montgomery used the standard TOM, so...
    Matt just informed me he retired from luthiering, including bridges :/

Also on the lookout!

User Info Menu

Sad to hear about Matt Cushman. Try Stephen Holst

http://www.pacinfo.com/~sholst/index.htm

User Info Menu

very sorry to read that matt cushman is no longer involved in luthiery...he was a fine craftsman and always willing to listen and help...i always enjoyed his build threads...i hope he is well and wish him all the best

cheers

User Info Menu

As far as I know only Gibson makes Tune-o-matic bridges and they are available here: Gibson | Bridges

User Info Menu

tuneomatic has become a rather generic term..and applies to a multitude of makers and design deviations...

gibson has imperial sized...but then there are also metric sized...and gibsons own brand epi, even had/has their own size

so tuneomatic is a kind of general term for a specific (gibson style) metallic bridge with moveable saddles

gotoh tuneomatic

cheers