The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does anyone own or have any substantial experience with a Tyler amp and more specifically their PT/JT-14 model?
    JT-14 — Tyler Amp Works

Just hoping to hear some opinions as I'm growing out of my affinity towards Polytones and wanting to get a classic tube amp workhorse style amp.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lots of good tube amps out there -- what do you like about Tyler?

[No prices on the web site always scares me (!!), but I see some on Reverb for decent prices.]

Ricardo Grilli plays them:

User Info Menu

If you don't get many responses try TGP (The Gear Page) Amps and Cabs subforum. Tyler amps and that one in particular have come up in the past. Nothing negative that I recall.

I'm wondering specifically about the Tyler amps because Daan Kleijn uses one and his tone is my favorite at moment. For that reason I'm checking out the Tyler amps as a starting point because I really know very little about tube amps( and amps in general). I've been using polytones the past few years and that's pretty much it. The fender deluxe reverb's at my university did not really sound that good in my opinion so I've kind just stuck to the consistency that I get from polytones. Now that I'm out of school I'm really taking time to seek out the tone that I'm after and I think to achieve that a tube amp is a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    If you don't get many responses try TGP (The Gear Page) Amps and Cabs subforum. Tyler amps and that one in particular have come up in the past. Nothing negative that I recall.
    Thanks! will do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin1993
    Does anyone own or have any substantial experience with a Tyler amp and more specifically their PT/JT-14 model? JT-14 — Tyler Amp Works

Just hoping to hear some opinions as I'm growing out of my affinity towards Polytones and wanting to get a classic tube amp workhorse style amp.
    No personal knowledge. Apparently there have been questions about how much work on Tyler amps is actually done in the US. It's up to each person to decide how much that matters.

As for the amp, from the outside it looks like a 12" Princeton-based model with a mid-knob and tone switch, i.e. five dollars of additional parts. That's no insult -- right now I'm two feet away from a home-built 12" 6L6 Princeton-based model with an added mid-knob.

There are plenty of options in the market including new and used Fender 1x12 Princeton Reissues. There are also used Tyler Princetons hanging on reverb and a used head at Guitar Denter, which comes with a 45-day no-questions return policy.

Happy hunting!

User Info Menu

Does anyone own or have any substantial experience with a Tyler amp and more specifically their PT/JT-14 model?
    JT-14 — Tyler Amp Works

Thanks!
    I played one at 30th St. Guitars a while back, it sounded fantastic, it's like a Prinecton, very much... I liked it a lot
    however, it seemed to have slightly less clean headroom... but it was very nice, especially for the money

User Info Menu

I'm wondering specifically about the Tyler amps because Daan Kleijn uses one and his tone is my favorite at moment. For that reason I'm checking out the Tyler amps as a starting point because I really know very little about tube amps( and amps in general). I've been using polytones the past few years and that's pretty much it. The fender deluxe reverb's at my university did not really sound that good in my opinion so I've kind just stuck to the consistency that I get from polytones. Now that I'm out of school I'm really taking time to seek out the tone that I'm after and I think to achieve that a tube amp is a factor.
    I didn't know he uses Tyler amps. I've heard about their amps before but never played one so can't help you there. Browsing on their site they look great, but there are many great amp builders at the moment. The tone Daan gets is amazing though so I guess if he likes their amps I'd go for it!