The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 87 of 87

User Info Menu

Him, the other guy in that pedal show are also great, Danish Pete also, I also like Davie504. I also like guy from NStuff music, that Lucas guy, he is amazing.

On the other side I can't stand Stevie T as person, Chapman, Andertons, Jared Dines and some other dudes.

I think Mick is on nicer side compared to most of them.

Rabea guy is also not the guy who I would hang out with in real life.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Not much jazz content but some interesting points here.

F.ex: ”(...) with a strat You sound just like all other strat players (...)”! (Uncertain quote.)

Never thought about that!

Except for the 2 and 4 positions on the strat, I don't think that's a function of the guitar. I think that's a function of people trying to sound like SRV, Henrix, Gilmour, Knopfler, etc. . Conversely, think of all the chicken-pickers who sound exactly alike on Teles. So much for "everybody sounds different on Teles, but they all sound the same on Strats." I mean, yes, each guitar has some characteristic sounds that people can feature and accentuate. But strats, teles, 335s, LP, even hollowbodies like 175s also can be played in ways that don't feature/accentuate those sounds.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Is there anything sweeter than Greg Koch chicken' pickin' on a L5 when he does his Wildwood demos?
    I can think of a few things ...

John

User Info Menu

I don't like Teles myself, but I wouldn't mind owning this one.

Amazing demo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena
    Let's face it, this is true for all guitar models.
    Cause in like, 25 years ago all guitar models were same.
    Strats were always Alder with 3 single coils.
    Teles were always Alder Tele with Tele pickups.
    Les Pauls were always Mahogany with 2 classic PAFs.
    In todays market u have tons of options how to make guitar sound different.
    Back then U didn't have all this different options.
    So it all comes to music / guitar / pickup industry evolution over years.
    Back then U didn't have Mahogany Stratocaster or Telecaster, or Alder Les Paul.
    Today that stuff is normal, with over like 300 pickup models to choose from.
    In past U didn't even have 20 of them.
    Love the passion, but, er, ah, ... you might want to do a bit more guitar history homework...

User Info Menu

What? XD
    Duncan in 1985s had 10 models, DiMarzio also 10.
    Today the two combined they have 250. xD

Same as Strat and Les Paul.
    I didn't know there were Mahogany Strats in 1970s and Alder Les Pauls / SGs in 1970s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mecena
    Let's face it, this is true for all guitar models.
    Cause in like, 25 years ago all guitar models were same.
    Strats were always Alder with 3 single coils.
    Teles were always Alder Tele with Tele pickups.
    Les Pauls were always Mahogany with 2 classic PAFs.

In todays market u have tons of options how to make guitar sound different.
    Back then U didn't have all this different options.

So it all comes to music / guitar / pickup industry evolution over years.

Back then U didn't have Mahogany Stratocaster or Telecaster, or Alder Les Paul.
    Today that stuff is normal, with over like 300 pickup models to choose from.
    In past U didn't even have 20 of them.
    I think you mean 60 years ago.

John

User Info Menu

Nice guitar, nice shirt, nice playing.

User Info Menu

m, i appreciate your point in that today we have more options than ever, but your historical dating is way off

fender was using ash and swamp ash from the beginning early 50's...well the first tele shape bodies were pine!!... strats and teles were available for decades with ash or alder...also as early as the 60's they were experimenting with other woods...see george harrisons all rosewood (heavy) tele

in fact fender just made guitar news a few weeks back by announcing they will no longer use ash for their bodies!!...first time in near 70 years!!!

gibson did use mahog..but many lps have a carved maple top...gibby also used korina on some guitars in the 50's

later companies like mighty mite, charvel, warmoth (started in 1980!) began to offer all sortsa of body woods...basswood became a popular lightweight body wood alternative in the 80's

as for pickups you had duncan, bill lawrence, emg, dimarzio,bartolini very early on 40-50 years ago

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 05-22-2020 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add-

User Info Menu

U need to be heavy extremely good on ears to blind hear difference between Ash and Alder.
    Same as Korina and Mahogany.
    95% of people won't hear that.

I am a Telecaster player and like Stratocasters as well but I prefer the Telecaster neck.

I removed the stock neck pickup from my Tele, ordered a new pick guard from Warmoth routed for a Stratocaster pickup. I dropped in an Eric Johnson reverse wound/reverse pole middle Stratocaster pickup and now my Telecaster really sound great.

I get the lush sounding Strat tone in rhythm position, I am out of phase in the middle position and get the that coveted Strat "quack", and my Lollar bridge pickup is all pure Telecaster.

I also installed a Fender 4-way pickup selector switch which gives me and additional option where the neck and middle pickups in series thus producing a fatter tone and more output than the other three positions.

With these modifications I have the best of both Tele/Strat worlds, along with that 4th position kick. I ended up selling my Stratocaster and now it's just me and my modified Telecaster.

User Info Menu

Happy NGD