The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 87

User Info Menu

trem cavity contributes so much to tone of strat...the space and the springs and the metal...it's like a little reverb unit built into the back of a solidbody guitar....a great deal of its charm

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    trem cavity contributes so much to tone of strat...the space and the springs and the metal...it's like a little reverb unit built into the back of a solidbody guitar....a great deal of its charm cheers
    ...which is why a hardtail strat is an interesting bridge between a strat and a tele. Especially when the 5-way switch is rewired so that the middle position combines the neck and bridge pickups and removes the middle pickup from the signal path.

User Info Menu

I think a distinction needs to be made between the jazz tone and the archtop tone. Both Strat and Tele can get nice clean tones with reasonable amp settings (jazz tone). They are designed for their clean tone after all because clean tone was all there was at the time. Snappy twanginess can be tamed with heavy gauge strings or picking technique without the need for a humbucker.

Neither can get the archtop tone outside of very controlled experiments.

User Info Menu

Tbh even the 335 is a different animal to a 175, let alone an L5...

User Info Menu

I like listening to Strat players but playing it is totally different.
    Maybe due to the bridge construction the attack of picking is not immediate and it makes me feel uncomfortable, but I think it contributes to the mellow and hollow kinda tone.

User Info Menu

I used to play jazz on strat... strat is very comfortable guitar. And soundwise very versatile and you can tune it into almost anything really.

But eventually ... I do not know how to say it.. strats are different bewtween one anothe too... but to me -- as a general conception of sound - they have that a bit steril aesthetics of tone... I do not know how to explain it better.

Tele - meaning a general conception of it too , there are dfferent teles too - is more livlely to me? more stubborn, not that easy to mode into anything but maybe more rewarding after all?

and at the end of it all it turns out to be even more versatile... ?

Not sure of course.. I think to really dig the difference one should get decent standart strat and tele and play theme both for a few months at least rugularly....
    I had both at a time only for a few weeks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    trem cavity contributes so much to tone of strat...the space and the springs and the metal...it's like a little reverb unit built into the back of a solidbody guitar....a great deal of its charm

cheers
    My experience is that a blocked Trem cuts down on the reverb......

User Info Menu

The Stratocaster design history and specific design features, some with unintentional but wonderful effect, make it what it is and make it sound the way it does. Leo Fender designed and adjusted his initial design in conjunction with continuous suggestions from Bill Carson, a guitarist playing Western Swing (Jazz!). The long history of popularity of the Strat for use in many other styles and types of music since then notwithstanding, the Strat was made for Jazz tone.

It's been mentioned that the mechanical path connection of the floating bridge to the body through the springs has a softening effect on the tone. Another overlooked contributor to this is the mounting of the pickups to the suspended floating pick guard, rather than directly to the body itself.

Recall that Leo referred to the three Strat pickup selections as:

Rhythm (neck)
    Normal (middle)
    Lead (bridge)

Surprised?

This made sense (and still does) playing clean into a clean tube amp. Expanding the use of the Strat to other popular music forms and tones (increasing highs and distortion), and probably also from the shift from performing "barefoot" (just guitar and tube amp, not mic'd) to performing with pedals, effects, close mic'ing, board and PA, the modern practice is "taming" of the tone using more or mostly the neck pickup as "normal" and the other selections as "other/special".

For many of us that still perform barefoot, the intrinsic tonal range and character of the Strat still makes sound appropriate and authentic for Jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    The Stratocaster design history and specific design features, some with unintentional but wonderful effect, make it what it is and make it sound the way it does. Leo Fender designed and adjusted his initial design in conjunction with continuous suggestions from Bill Carson, a guitarist playing Western Swing (Jazz!). The long history of popularity of the Strat for use in many other styles and types of music since then notwithstanding, the Strat was made for Jazz tone.

It's been mentioned that the mechanical path connection of the floating bridge to the body through the springs has a softening effect on the tone. Another overlooked contributor to this is the mounting of the pickups to the suspended floating pick guard, rather than directly to the body itself.

Recall that Leo referred to the three Strat pickup selections as:

Rhythm (neck)
    Normal (middle)
    Lead (bridge)

Surprised?

This made sense (and still does) playing clean into a clean tube amp. Expanding the use of the Strat to other popular music forms and tones (increasing highs and distortion), and probably also from the shift from performing "barefoot" (just guitar and tube amp, not mic'd) to performing with pedals, effects, close mic'ing, board and PA, the modern practice is "taming" of the tone using more or mostly the neck pickup as "normal" and the other selections as "other/special".

For many of us that still perform barefoot, the intrinsic tonal range and character of the Strat still makes sound appropriate and authentic for Jazz.
    You're a good salesman. I gonna put the floating tremolo block back on my strat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    The recent threads about ugly guitars like this one
    Fender Parallel Universe II Jazz Strat

Made me look up and book mark some of the 2018 telecaster body versions .. and one of them just got put on clearance for 999£ and I couldn't resist. Maybe a bit silly, but I'm getting isolation crazy, so wtf

It's got an ashbody and a nitro finish on both body and neck. Pups are from the same as the AVRI models

Should be here in a couple of weeks as I was too cheap to pay 150£ for air shipping

There's a chance air would not be faster these days....

User Info Menu

I much more prefer Strat neck pickup to Tele neck.
    And humbucker bridge Strat to bridge Tele single coil.

But non the less, Tele is amazing guitar.
    No style of music that proper Tele can't play.
    I just like Strats more for myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    My experience is that a blocked Trem cuts down on the reverb......
    Bah, humbug!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Not much jazz content but some interesting points here.

F.ex: ”(...) with a strat You sound just like all other strat players (...)”! (Uncertain quote.)

Never thought about that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Tbh even the 335 is a different animal to a 175, let alone an L5...
    ...and as we have learned, even an ES-175 can be a different animal to an other ES-175...

All guitars sound different and then again a player with a signature sound sounds same with any guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    The recent threads about ugly guitars like this one
    Fender Parallel Universe II Jazz Strat

Made me look up and book mark some of the 2018 telecaster body versions .. and one of them just got put on clearance for 999£ and I couldn't resist. Maybe a bit silly, but I'm getting isolation crazy, so wtf

It's got an ash body and a nitro finish on both body and neck. Pups are the same as the AVRI models

Should be here in a couple of weeks as I was too cheap to pay 150£ for air shipping

Wow! Looks interesting! Let us hear how it sounds!

There is so many variations on a Tele that in a way this looks just normal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Quote Originally Posted by orri

A tele is probably better than a strat to play in a more "old school" jazz guitar style.

Don't tell that to Mike Stern. ;-)
    Are you thinking of a specific album or video or something where Mike Stern plays a strat with in a "old school" jazz guitar style and sound? (He played a strat with Miles Davis in the 80s)

What I've heard of Mike Stern's playing, his style is (arguably?) quite modern, at least compared to Wes and Grant Green, and he is known for playing tele style guitars (though not exclusively).

Mike Stern is a brilliant and versatile guitarist and studied the masters before him. I'm sure he could masterfully play in a old school jazz guitar style with a strat (but I'm not as sure that he would pick a strat over a tele if he only had those two options for the task).

User Info Menu

Mike Caldwell <3

User Info Menu

I routinely use an archtop, a Stratocaster, and a Telecaster in my jazz group. Folks like all three but I consistently get the most compliments about tone with the Stratocaster.

User Info Menu

Why? XD
    U put Duncan Little 59s or Pearly Gates rail and problem solved.

Damn, this are damn nice also.

Good pickups makes tons of difference.

U probably have the most brighters single coils possible, so ofc people will complain on that. XD

This should be damn nice also.

Or this one

Tons of great options if you have money, and you are willing to do tiny surgery on guitar.

It would be stupid to gave up on it if you like it, just cause of pickups.

Or if you like super extreme makeover, you can make it humbucker / mini humbucker / humbucker like this one.

If I had descent alder Strat body, I have at least 30 ideas what I would do with it. XD

Too many great options to choose from.

Tiny bit of imagination, would turn that Strat into God guitar without a problem.

Too many great ideas, literally too many.
    Last edited by Mecena; 05-21-2020 at 07:53 AM.

User Info Menu

AT-1 plus 2x Injector necks saves Suhr from the chopping block

Let this topic be you an inspiration.

Or another 1:

ibanez thbb10 clean - YouTube

Literally you have TONS of options what to do with a Strat.

So I on your place, would send that Strat to guitar tech, threw out that Fender singles, get custom pickguard and do a solid research on pickups.

You can do anything with that guitar, too many AMAZING options.
    Last edited by Mecena; 05-21-2020 at 08:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie

F.ex: ”(...) with a strat You sound just like all other strat players (...)”! (Uncertain quote.)

That has always been a poorly-aimed slag. Will you end up sounding like Jimi? Or Jeff Beck? Or Stevie Ray? Or Buddy Guy? Or Yngwie Malmsteen?

And, "with a Tele you'll sound just like all other Tele players" shares the same crummy logic.

User Info Menu

Let's face it, this is true for all guitar models.
    Cause in like, 25 years ago all guitar models were same.
    Strats were always Alder with 3 single coils.
    Teles were always Alder Tele with Tele pickups.
    Les Pauls were always Mahogany with 2 classic PAFs.

In todays market u have tons of options how to make guitar sound different.
    Back then U didn't have all this different options.

So it all comes to music / guitar / pickup industry evolution over years.

Back then U didn't have Mahogany Stratocaster or Telecaster, or Alder Les Paul.
    Today that stuff is normal, with over like 300 pickup models to choose from.
    In past U didn't even have 20 of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie

That speaks more to the player's limited language than the instrument. Mick seems like a cool, knowledgeable guy but his playing always draws from repeating licks, riffs within the same boxes. He is more the host and his guests/co-hosts are the pros.

In that very specialized area he sounds good though. He is all over it.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 05-21-2020 at 09:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I've seen Mick in that pedal show YT channel.
    I like him more then Chapman. xD
    I would put him more on nicer side on YT guitar community.