The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 87

User Info Menu

it works for Chris Crocco.

Honestly, if you can get a sound you like from a tele, getting one from a strat shouldn't be that difficult. They're different, but not all that far removed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've had my strat for close to 20 years and find it to be more tonally versatile than most guitars, I get whatever sound I need out of it. Comfiest guitar ever made.

Jazz tone? Check this guy...

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 06-07-2020 at 02:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I have a Strat which sounds great for jazz; I also have two Teles. In all three cases I have the same pickup in the neck: the Bill Lawrence (Wilde) L280.

Noisefree Strat – Bill and Becky Wilde Pickups

Tonally it is, like the ad says, maybe a little closer to a "P90 lite" than it is to a Strat pickup. It doesn't have that glassiness, which I don't care for anyway. It is a stacked humbucker which I like better than side-by-side humbuckers- the little bit of phase cancellation that PAF style pickups have isn't as noticeable. The L280 doesn't have the P90 growl as such, it's more bell-like. It's also very responsive to touch, knob adjustments and the underlying sound of the instrument.

Replacing one pickup is much easier to reverse if you want to sell the guitar later on.
    +1 for stacked humbuckers. Whilst I can’t get a good jazz sound out of my CS 1961 strat, the stacked humbuckers on my 1986 Charvel Model 4 superstrat give a good sound, particularly when on-board midboost is engaged.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I've had my strat for close to 20 years and find it to be more tonally versatile than most guitars, I get whatever sound I need out of it. Comfiest guitar ever made.

Jazz tone?

I wonder if he used a pick and played in a style that used more dynamics, say hard bop, would they still sound close?

User Info Menu

I have a stock '89 American Standard strat (9.5" neck radius, pups are a little higher output and more mid-rangey than most of the "reissue" style pups). I play jazz with it. It sounds different from my hollow body and my semi-hollow, which sound different from each other. It sounds different from Teles. The differences can be made to be pretty subtle, depending on your setup and how you play, but the differences will always be there to some extent. Isn't that the point of there being different kinds of guitars?

But I do think that strats are somewhat less foolproof than the others. I can plug my semi-hollow into pretty much any amp, and without touching any knobs, a jazz tone will be more or less there (though it can be improved with knob tweaking). OTOH, my strat generally requires more attention for getting the mids dialed in and the highs tamed, and sometimes I can't make it work to my satisfaction (e.g., through a Roland JC). There's also a characteristic strat nick pickup resonant frequency (or something like that) that can never be completely dialed out, so if you like that, a strat is great. If you don't, it's not. Ergonomically, my strat is my favorite guitar. And it's got a whammy bar.

John

User Info Menu

Forum member and instructor Pete Sklaroff on a strat: (02:25 is the most jazzy tone on this imo, go there)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I was gonna suggest this video myself. Noiseless pickups seem to get jazz tones very well. Lorne Lofsky's soft touch is also helping to keep the twang in check.

Yes, and the low noise level allows his soft touch to be better heard.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug B; 05-11-2020 at 04:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Forum member and instructor Pete Sklaroff on a strat: (02:25 is the most jazzy tone on this imo, go there)
    I hear a touch if that Strat sizzle on top, but I still like it. Maybe I’ll pull mine out of the case for a while.

User Info Menu

Strat Instead of Tele?-184135-9bb7ef09a54a204620571a75a1a79b59-jpg

fake but fun

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

Jazz tone?

Both guitars sound great and I didn't notice when you changed guitars, since I happened to be looking away.

Great playing too.

User Info Menu

Rumour has it that Django and Jimi were going to form a group and call it Band of Gypsies! <groan!>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    Strat Instead of Tele?-184135-9bb7ef09a54a204620571a75a1a79b59-jpg

fake but fun

cheers
    Bireli Lagrene has used a P-90 equipped Strat style guitar for jazz gigs (both Gypsy jazz and straight ahead jazz) many, many times.

User Info Menu

I still have it in the back of my head to build a strat project with a Duncan Minibucker in the bridge and neck, and no middle, with a hardtail bridge for playing jazz. Alder body, RW board. Trouble is I have so many guitars. Maybe when this Covid thing they have going ends I'll sell a guitar or two and do it.

User Info Menu

Lace Alumitones are very quiet and full-range balanced also:

The suit doesn't make the man

I used t to play a strat and it sounded great I had 13 flats on it I think it has more to do with your response time and the response time you want

To me strats have a higher top speed but can't corner to well

I felt like I had to hold a note longer to get a nice snappy tone because to my ears strats take longer to swell and archtops to me instantly play the note but decay really fast

There's a vid of Joe Pass playing a jazzmaster I've never played one but tone wise it sounds the same I think

User Info Menu

If you have a good deal on a good Strat do try it. You might be positively surprised and you might even like playing so much that you find your own new signature sound in there by experimenting a bit with picking technique and pickup\amp settings. If it doesn't work you can relatively easily sell a Strat again.

User Info Menu

IME what makes the tele special is that even with the fewer controls the expression can go from soft ear caressing to glass cutting. Expression of a Strat I find narrower but more refined. Both are inspiring to play - but different. A big bonus for the strat is the ergonometry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xiv_R_A_I_D_E_R_
    The suit doesn't make the man

I used t to play a strat and it sounded great I had 13 flats on it I think it has more to do with your response time and the response time you want

To me strats have a higher top speed but can't corner to well

I felt like I had to hold a note longer to get a nice snappy tone because to my ears strats take longer to swell and archtops to me instantly play the note but decay really fast

There's a vid of Joe Pass playing a jazzmaster I've never played one but tone wise it sounds the same I think
    That's a Jaguar, not a Jazzmaster. Neither sounds the same as a Strat. But broadly speaking, there's some similarity between any two solidbody guitars with a single coil neckup.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teeps
    A big bonus for the strat is the ergonometry.
    The big knurled knobs of the Tele make it easier to make anything from a fine adjustment to a wide sweep without disrupting picking than those little knobs on the Strat. I was tempted to change the knobs on the Strat, but that seemed like heresy.

User Info Menu

"Strat instead of tele?"

I play both. I take periods where i play more strat and other periods where I play more tele (but my main guitar is a 175).

A tele is probably better than a strat to play in a more "old school" jazz guitar style (Wes, Grant Green. etc)
    While a strat is a good option for a more modern jazz guitar style (a tele is great for that too, but a strat does it in its own way).

Also you don't need to pay so much for a great strat/tele. MIM and upper range Squier are really good instruments and you can do several upgrades (like pickups) relatively easily.
    Last edited by orri; 05-18-2020 at 08:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    That's a Jaguar, not a Jazzmaster. Neither sounds the same as a Strat. But broadly speaking, there's some similarity between any two solidbody guitars with a single coil neckup.
    actually there's pics of joe pass with both the jaguar and the jazzmaster...neither of which were really his..they were synanon instruments, when he was in for the cure...

jaguar has short scale..24"...has very snappy attack...has similar to tele or strat bridge pup tone

jazzmaster on the other hand was leo's true attempt at a jazz guitar...the jazzmaster name was no accident...jazzmaster pickups are based on p90's but with (leo twist) real magnet polepieces like strats and tele pups...probably one of my fave pups of all time...warm, clean. lush, thick...beautiful...the jm neck pup also has two separate sets of controls...with different pots and caps...so you can go from neck pup to completely different neck pup sound at the flick of a switch...my fave fender in general, but great for jazz tones...& beyond

cheers

ps- jp with jm

Strat Instead of Tele?-big_joephoto1-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    "Strat instead of tele?"

A tele is probably better than a strat to play in a more "old school" jazz guitar style.
    Don't tell that to Mike Stern. ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    actually there's pics of joe pass with both the jaguar and the jazzmaster...neither of which were really his..they were synanon instruments, when he was in for the cure...

jaguar has short scale..24"...has very snappy attack...has similar to tele or strat bridge pup tone

jazzmaster on the other hand was leo's true attempt at a jazz guitar...the jazzmaster name was no accident...jazzmaster pickups are based on p90's but with (leo twist) real magnet polepieces like strats and tele pups...probably one of my fave pups of all time...warm, clean. lush, thick...beautiful...the jm neck pup also has two separate sets of controls...with different pots and caps...so you can go from neck pup to completely different neck pup sound at the flick of a switch...my fave fender in general, but great for jazz tones...& beyond

cheers

ps- jp with jm

Strat Instead of Tele?-big_joephoto1-jpeg
    Yes, there are photos of him with a Jazzmaster. The videos on youtube are with a Jaguar. I've played both a little, but not enough to really get much sense of either.

John

User Info Menu

Well, if it's old school you're looking for, go no further than a Gibson ES-150 and matching amp! Teles are downright modern by comparison. Is a Strat new school? I am not qualified to answer, I think. But my Strat sounds just as good for jazz as my Tele, I think.

here's a video I was looking for earlier in the thread:

and a couple more: