Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 68 of 68

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by travisty
    I woulda figgered high frequency directionality would have put the cosh on a back-firing tweeter which had to come back through the baffle to get to the listener (unless there are substantial room effects).

What are the mid and woofers? Something like that almost looks DIY-able. I know a guy who would do that in teak for me (which would suit), and I really need high efficiency speakers now but have no desire to ship another pair of Model 19s across the world.
    Yes, these are DIY speakers. Parts are commonly available via Parts Express. Here's a few links. The only thing remaining would be to have someone build you a set of crossovers...easy enough to do.

btw...if you do some research on line you'll find open baffle speakers in various design patterns from a simple throw together baffle that anyone can build in their garage, to some really creative and well done baffle designs. A simple google search will reveal all of them, and more.

here's a listing of various crossover designs - click on radian crossovers, which pretty much matches what my speakers came in.

US SPEAKER Home Page Menu - Speaker Cabinets, Guitar & amp; Bass Amps, upgrades and custom design. The world’s widest choice of speaker parts. “If you have listened to live music, you have almost certainly listened to Eminence”

15" mid woofer

Eminence KL3015CX-8 15" High Power Coaxial Woofer 8 Ohm

Here's the Radian coaxial driver

Radian 475PB-8 1" Aluminum Horn Driver 8 Ohm 2/3-Bolt

Here's an open box set on eBay for less

2 (pair) Radian Audio 835PB 1.4” Ferrite Compression Drivers- NICE! | eBay

Or one can purchase the coaxial driver already mounted to the speaker. Probably the best way to go.

Radian Audio 52125B Coaxial Speakers - Radian 15" coaxial speakers. Radian 5215B coaxial speaker consists of a 15" woofer and a 2" high frequency driver - Radian 5215B coaxial speaker handles 500 watts RMS. Radian 5215B 15" coaxial driver is availabl

The 15" bass driver was specifically built for open baffle applications, and they aren't reasonably available, but I did find them on amazon from their original developer, Hawthorne Audio. Hawthorne appears to have a few remaining subs, aka Augies, in their inventory. No more will be produced once these are gone.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

btw...these would look outstanding in TEAK!!!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 05-14-2020 at 08:55 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I don't know about that particular speaker, but my RE cabinet came with an Eminence Alpha which can mount a coaxial tweeter. The threaded hole in the magnet goes all the way through, so the tweeter actually fires forward, through the bigger speaker's cone. These coaxial designs are actually not uncommon.
    Exactly. The mid woofer is an Eminence Alpha with a hole in its magnet.

User Info Menu

The advantages of having an open baffle setup are that you can save money on amplification. The speakers only need a simple set of plate amps to drive them effectively. Those are very cheap and readily available.

NEW Mega Bass 2 Subwoofer Speaker Plate Amplifier.150wRMS.Class A/B.115v.230v | eBay

The speakers themselves are over 98dB efficient, and thus one can drive them a small output tube amp, a simple set amp, sep amp, or various other small watt tube amplifiers.

I use a sep version created by Dennis Had. He sells these periodically on eBay. They don't come up for sell that often, but when they do they sell quickly. Dennis builds all sorts of various amps, some in monoblock configuration which are a real treat. Here's a current offering by Dennis Had. The advantage of these amps built by Dennis is one can tube roll until the cats come home. 6L6, kt88, kt120, kt150, El34, 300B, on and on and on, without any regard to biasing as the amps are auto bias.

STEREO TUBE AMPLIFIER INSPIRE by DENNIS HAD CLASS A SINGLE ENDED AMPLIFIER | eBay

User Info Menu

I'm a JBL fan, but curiously I have NO JBL guitar speakers. Maybe some day I'll find one.
    For listening and mixing I use these 4 pairs of JBL. The 530 are mini versions of the 590 and I have them set up as computer monitors:
    I only use solid-state amplifiers for Hi-Fi and tubes for guitar.
    4311b
    L19
    530 (not shown)

Any Audiophiles/Home Audio People Here?-jbl-6-jpg

User Info Menu

The two vintage speakers were great finds. Both pairs were in near mint condition. Pretty fantastic for speakers from the 1980s. Here they both are with the grillcloth removed, next to the presentation in the 1981 catalog.

Any Audiophiles/Home Audio People Here?-jbl-compare-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    I'm a JBL fan, but curiously I have NO JBL guitar speakers. Maybe some day I'll find one.
    For listening and mixing I use these 4 pairs of JBL. The 530 are mini versions of the 590 and I have them set up as computer monitors:
    I only use solid-state amplifiers for Hi-Fi and tubes for guitar.
    4311b
    L19
    530 (not shown)

Any Audiophiles/Home Audio People Here?-jbl-6-jpg
    I love it when fireplaces double as a handy turntable mount. Oh yeah, that got my vote for best system!

User Info Menu

I've never considered myself an audiophile, but I always tried to have good sound at home.

Circa 1960:

Mostly homebrew monaural system into Acoustic Research AR3 speaker. As much a 7-year science project as a music system.

ca 1970:

I have no idea what speakers we had then.

ca 1978:

Altec Model 19 in music room, Altec Valencia in living room

ca 1984:

Getting serious here. Thiel CS3 in music room, Altec Valencia in LR, Allison CD8 in kitchen. Also stripped out factory audio in cars, installed best stuff I could find from Crutchfield.

current:

Moved everything to digital in 2001. Just a CD player and streaming input, both Thiel and Allison in greatroom.

current:

Definitive Technology SM55. Old photo--I took the Allisons down after installing the Deftechs.

I stopped being concerned with a lot of audiophile issues when I found I mostly listened to recordings while doing other things. Don't worry about perfect soundstage when I'm rarely in front of speakers. Also, we use several systems. I do most of my jazz listening through what's left of my "audiophile system," listen to streaming radio through 3-piece Altec system at desktop, or through the TV system. Have upgraded sound in car, listen to SiriusXM jazz channels or my own files on thumb drives. Life is good.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 05-20-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Wow...some nice systems here. Knowledgeable people too. Thanks for your posts. Keep 'em coming.

User Info Menu

Any Audiophiles/Home Audio People Here?-b8cc898c-04dd-4057-a301-27d7a4199bf2-jpg

Here's my lineup:

McIntosh C2600 preamp
    Mcintosh MC452 amp
    McIntosh MC275 VI amps (two)

VTA SP-14 preamp
    Thorens TD-316 TT
    Grado Silver Cartridge
    Emotiva XPS-1 Phono preamp
    Sennheiser HD-600 Headphones
    Dynaudio Gemini speakers
    PBN Montana EPS speakers
    Magnepan 3.6/R speakers
    Magnepan DWM bass module
    Mac Mini

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Any Audiophiles/Home Audio People Here?-b8cc898c-04dd-4057-a301-27d7a4199bf2-jpg

Here's my lineup:

McIntosh C2600 preamp
    Mcintosh MC452 amp
    McIntosh MC275 VI amps (two)

VTA SP-14 preamp
    Thorens TD-316 TT
    Grado Silver Cartridge
    Emotiva XPS-1 Phono preamp
    Sennheiser HD-600 Headphones
    Dynaudio Gemini speakers
    PBN Montana EPS speakers
    Magnepan 3.6/R speakers
    Magnepan DWM bass module
    Mac Mini
    Nice to see! Somebody has a bug! You forgot to mention the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, that too !
    Last edited by boatheelmusic; 05-29-2020 at 09:11 AM.

User Info Menu

I used to have a wonderful pair of big Maggies, but they just did not fit when we downsized to a smaller home. To make wife happy I replaced them with a smaller pair of entry-level Martin-Logins, pretty satisfied. But I do miss the incredible depth and width perception of the Mag's. Set up properly I still think they are the best speakers ever.

Magnepan

MartinLogan | Our Speakers

User Info Menu

Current rig:
    Roon Nucleus Plus music server (CD collection ripped to an attached HD)
    dCS Bartok streamer/DAC
    Pass Labs XP-22 preamp
    Pass Labs X350.5 amp
    Revel Salon 2 speakers

Subscription to both Tidal and Qobuz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome
    Current rig:
    Roon Nucleus Plus music server (CD collection ripped to an attached HD)
    dCS Bartok streamer/DAC
    Pass Labs XP-22 preamp
    Pass Labs X350.5 amp
    Revel Salon 2 speakers

Subscription to both Tidal and Qobuz
    High End Audio Alert!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott
    Which of those 3 streaming services would you say is best. I just got a pair of Focal headphones and I want to get the best sound I can into them.
    I have used Tidal and Qobuz. From a sonic standpoint, I find it hard to distinguish redbook versions from the two different services, they both sound the same to me, and quite good. For Hi-Res files, Tidal has MQA and Qobuz has Hi-Res PCM files. Of the two, when I listen to them back to back, I have a slight preference for the Qobuz files. But I suspect that if I listened to them a day a part, I couldn’t tell which one was which. For me, the MQA files have a slightly sharper edge to them, which sounds a bit like digital glare, but it is subtle on my rig. Others might like the increased crispness of the sound.

Both have a lot of content, but, for jazz, Tidal may have a slight edge. However, a lot of new jazz is coming out on independent labels and that is less well represented on either service in my experience.

In short, I don’t think you can go wrong with either and I think they are both worth what they charge. I think both have a free 30 day trial so you can try them yourself and can cancel at any time.

User Info Menu

I agree, there is no risk in trying out any of these digital services as most offer a 30 day free trial. However, if you want to hear real music I'd suggest investing into a vinyl rig. Vinyl is far superior to anything digital today, IMO. Trust your ears. Vinyl rules...it's no contest, again IMO.

User Info Menu

For my ears the difference between digital and vinyl is similar to the difference between a piezo and a microphone for an acoustic.

Not quite that bad the digital recordings are much closer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    For my ears the difference between digital and vinyl is similar to the difference between a piezo and a microphone for an acoustic.

Not quite that bad the digital recordings are much closer.
    Well, in my system, which consists of various tube amps, various turntables, electrostatic speakers, that are very revealing, I'm basing my listening against digital. For digital I own a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC, which I occasionally play digital uploaded to a Mac mini...digitial isn't close at all. Vinyl has far, far superior dynamics and it's sound staging is much deeper and wider. That's why I say it isn't close. And I'm not the only one to hear these differences...they're common knowledge on audio forums.

But what one hears is dependent upon their system, so like no two guitars are alike, neither are any two audio systems.