The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hi Guys
    Ive narrowed my search ... actually I am playing with opportunities here..rs
    Im torn between getting a Ibanez PM-100 , pretty mint condition or a Sadowsky Semi Hollow.
    The Sadowsky belonged to a gigging musician and he had newer frets installed a year ago.
    Its a 2013 with Roger S. signature behind the headstock.
    I realized they are very different guitars , but decided to come here once again for opinions.
    The Sadowsky with a fret job done and a couple of small dings or a mint Ibanez PM100?
    Since I can't test them at the moment...Trying to gather as much info on those as I can.
    Thanks!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you can swing it, I would definitely pick the Sadowsky. Just my preference and opinion. The Semi-Hollow is a really great guitar.

That said, the PM100 is very fine as well.

User Info Menu

I have no direct experience with either guitar. On the basis of volume levels encountered in contemporary performance (too often) I would opt for the semi- over the full hollow, as a pragmatic matter. Ibanez makes rock-solid guitars, I have and have several. Sadowski has an equally excellent reputation for QC. It's a coin toss.

User Info Menu

those two guitars couldn't be more different.

User Info Menu

It would help to know more about the music you play. Fusion? Bebop? Big band chunka-chunka? What musicians do you listen to and maybe want to emulate- Joe Pass? Ben Monder? Bill Frisell? Ed Bickert? Barney Kessel? Julian Lage? Pat Metheny? Will you only play jazz with this guitar or will you rock out, play blues, etc?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the inputs guys!
    I know this are very different guitars and Im very confused to what direction to go:
    Either a 175 style like a PM100 or a more versatile guitar like the semi hollow.
    I admit Im all over the place...rsrs
    Im maybe trying to stablish if ,even being different as they are , these guitars can be similar in terms of quality.
    I guess Im pursuing a more tradicional sound , something that the PM100 probably would give me in spades...but I understand also thats a commitment to that sound , while the semi hollow would be more versatile but would it provide a good 175esque sound?

CHEERS

User Info Menu

It seems to me that the real question for you is which one to get first Since you are persuing a traditional sound, I'd say PM100 now and a semi down the line.

User Info Menu

We are now in a Golden Age of guitar production both historic and modern, $$$$$$$ & $.

Wether your a novice or pro, it always comes down to what FEELS right to you as pointed out in a post above.
    Between the 2 choices given and you had the money, Sadowsky!

User Info Menu

If you'd ask me, i'd say, play the instruments. Play, feel and hear how they sound. If one speaks more to you than the other, you know what to do. The name a guitar has is one thing. The way it feels in your hands, and the reaction you get when playing the guitar, is somewhat more important than the name it has, i think.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

I played an Ibanez PM-100 for about 10 years and for the past 13 years I've played a Sadowsky Jim Hall. I far, far prefer the Sadowsky. They are both good instruments so I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one, but, I think the Sadowsky just feels better in my hands, for me. I will also say that a new Sadowsky has the best intonation of any guitar I've ever played.

My only complaint on both guitars is that the pickup tends to rattle. This has been true of virtually every 175 pickup I've ever played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    I played an Ibanez PM-100 for about 10 years and for the past 13 years I've played a Sadowsky Jim Hall. I far, far prefer the Sadowsky. They are both good instruments so I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one, but, I think the Sadowsky just feels better in my hands, for me. I will also say that a new Sadowsky has the best intonation of any guitar I've ever played.

My only complaint on both guitars is that the pickup tends to rattle. This has been true of virtually every 175 pickup I've ever played.
    Replace the springs with surgical tubing. Rattles-b-gone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Replace the springs with surgical tubing. Rattles-b-gone!
    I am too lazy to take my pickups apart. I read somewhere about jamming a pick in between the pickup cover and the pickup ring and that has worked for me on both my Sadowsky and 175.

User Info Menu

I know this is crazy, but in my quest ,and just asking around some friends here , I ended up trading my tele for this sweet GB10 ...its a 1998 blond one, and I really dig it!
    It sounds great and its super comfortable .
    It wasn't on my radar , but the trade helped me out so I don't spend on a new guitar (at least for the moment)
    I will be playing pretty much straight ahead jazz , at least thats what Im trying to do...rs
    heres a quick pic with a recently purchased Orange Cube 60.
    Thanks again for all the help...let me go play now
    Sadowsky vs Ibanez-img_3842-jpg

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with GB 10. Great guitar. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by klaj
    I know this is crazy, but in my quest ,and just asking around some friends here , I ended up trading my tele for this sweet GB10 ...its a 1998 blond one, and I really dig it!
    It sounds great and its super comfortable .
    It wasn't on my radar , but the trade helped me out so I don't spend on a new guitar (at least for the moment)
    I will be playing pretty much straight ahead jazz , at least thats what Im trying to do...rs
    heres a quick pic with a recently purchased Orange Cube 60.
    Thanks again for all the help...let me go play now
    Sadowsky vs Ibanez-img_3842-jpg
    Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Though the GB10 is neither guitar the OP asked about, it's something very different entirely. It is, however a guitar I think falls nicely between the two and has a lot of the nice qualities of either the Sadowsy and the PM. Good point klaj
    you realized Im also the OP?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by klaj
    you realized Im also the OP?
    Score! Isn't that neck sweet? I could play all day on that neck, there's something really right about the contour of it.
    I'd had one and it was a dream. At one point I longed for a more meaty PAF type sound and I had Seymour Duncan custom wind me a mini floating pickup with the specs of their PAF Seth Lover. Fits perfectly, looks original, sounds amazing. Just so you know you have options should that guitar become a keeper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Score! Isn't that neck sweet? I could play all day on that neck, there's something really right about the contour of it.
    I'd had one and it was a dream. At one point I longed for a more meaty PAF type sound and I had Seymour Duncan custom wind me a mini floating pickup with the specs of their PAF Seth Lover. Fits perfectly, looks original, sounds amazing. Just so you know you have options should that guitar become a keeper.
    wow!!Didnt know about the Seymour Duncan option!
    sounds great!
    thanks!

User Info Menu

Nice guitar, enjoy!

Now get yourself another Tele!

User Info Menu

Congratulations! I always did like the GB-10. Really a great jazz box! Long may she run!

User Info Menu

Lovely.

Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Picks in the pickup frame?
    Ive had Fender heavy picks jammed in both pup frames on my L5 since it’s delivery in ‘89.
    Also double face taped the pick guard to the neck pickup.
    good fixes both.