The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I’ve been using the standard Nickel Classics by Pyramid for over ten years. I then learned they offer a hand polished version for a couple of extra bucks per set, so I had to bite. They’re almost opposite of my expectations. They’re actually a little rougher feeling. I had expected the jams polishing to be an extra step after the machine polish, but I’m guessing it’s instead of it. I’m not getting more sting noise, just a little edgier feel. The sound of these strings seems a bit brighter with more ring, but there’s a bass presence that I’m feeling in the body. I mean, the first full pluck of the low e string and i literally felt it in my gut in a new way. Maybe the hand polish removes less string material, so a little bit more mass in the windings? Last observation is the intonation sounds very true, I mean, really perfect which it almost never is. Maybe I just got lucky this morning. Anyway, here’s some free range playing to road test them this morning. They’ve been on the guitar not quite 24 hours.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

interesting....are the hand polished also round core?...max @ pyramid is a stringmaking wizard!

great playing per usual..keep it free range! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    interesting....are the hand polished also round core?...max @ pyramid is a stringmaking wizard!

great playing per usual..keep it free range! hah

cheers
    yes, these are round wounds. Agreed, great products!

User Info Menu

Wow, the tone is noticeably different that the previous videos with Pyramid strings, but maybe the reverb is a little heavier than it had been. I really like this sound! There is more bass not only on the low E but the A as well.

Is that a Benedetto floating pickup? It doesn't look like an Armstrong (no visible polepieces).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    I’ve been using the standard Nickel Classics by Pyramid for over ten years. I then learned they offer a hand polished version for a couple of extra bucks per set, so I had to bite. They’re almost opposite of my expectations. They’re actually a little rougher feeling. I had expected the jams polishing to be an extra step after the machine polish, but I’m guessing it’s instead of it. I’m not getting more sting noise, just a little edgier feel. The sound of these strings seems a bit brighter with more ring, but there’s a bass presence that I’m feeling in the body. I mean, the first full pluck of the low e string and i literally felt it in my gut in a new way. Maybe the hand polish removes less string material, so a little bit more mass in the windings? Last observation is the intonation sounds very true, I mean, really perfect which it almost never is. Maybe I just got lucky this morning. Anyway, here’s some free range playing to road test them this morning. They’ve been on the guitar not quite 24 hours.
    Very interesting observations. They are rough feeling strings. I never used the standard version and based on your observations I don't feel the need to try them.They seem to work best on a guitar that has some acoustic quality to it. I've been pretty content with them. Video sounds great no surprise there. Thanks for posting this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Wow, the tone is noticeably different that the previous videos with Pyramid strings, but maybe the reverb is a little heavier than it had been. I really like this sound! There is more bass not only on the low E but the A as well.

Is that a Benedetto floating pickup? It doesn't look like an Armstrong (no visible polepieces).
    thanks for listening and comments! I can positively state that nothing has changed with the settings on the amp or microphone position which I’ve not even breathed in in over a month. In fact, I don’t even turn the amp off, just sits there running 24/7. The pup is a Kent Armstrong that Tom Ribbecke bought a batch of to his specs, but I have no ide if that’s really different than Kent would normally so. Volume and tone pots on guitar both wide open.

User Info Menu

Thank you for posting, Mark. No-one better to take the measure of these strings.

Maybe they are fresh, maybe it is confirmation bias but I got goosebumps, in a good way. The notes seem to ring truer in intonation, sound thicker and richer, better top to bottom balance. I daresay that the handpolishing, whatever that is, brought something out of those strings. Clearly, the $1.50 premium per pack, about 10% surcharge, is well worth it.

The tone is more golden than the silver of the standard Nickel Classics. It is like listening to a good tube amp versus a good solid-state amp.

Now to put my money where my mouth is. You saved me money actually from buying the standard Nickel Classics because I like the Handpolished more. The rougher feel will help with my tiny grip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Thank you for posting, Mark. No-one better to take the measure of these strings.

Maybe they are fresh, maybe it is confirmation bias but I got goosebumps, in a good way. The notes seem to ring truer in intonation, sound thicker and richer, better top to bottom balance. I daresay that the handpolishing, whatever that is, brought something out of those strings. Clearly, the $1.50 premium per pack, about 10% surcharge, is well worth it.

The tone is more golden than the silver of the standard Nickel Classics. It is like listening to a good tube amp versus a good solid-state amp.

Now to put my money where my mouth is. You saved me money actually from buying the standard Nickel Classics because I like the Handpolished more. The rougher feel will help with my tiny grip.
    hi Jeff, thanks man. They are still fresh, so will be interesting to hear them next week. There’s plenty of videos yet to come since it’s the only gig in town now

User Info Menu

Mark, would you mind telling me exactly the Pyramid product ID for the hand polished strings? I do not see "hand polished" in Pyramid's electric string sets (I do see "hand polished in Pyramid's acoustic sets. I see "hand wrapped in the electric sets." I'm looking at Strings by Mail's listing for Pyramid Electric Guitar Strings and see these:

Pure Nickel Classics - the standard set you've used for years
    Pure Nickel Hand Wound
    Pure Nickel Round Wound

Thanks.
    Richard

User Info Menu

Scroll to the bottom-

Pyramid Guitar Strings | Pure Nickel Classics | Strings By Mail

Availability by gauge has been variable historically and if you don't see the gauge you want, check back in a week or two.

User Info Menu

Thank you!
    At this time, they have 10-46 and 11-48 in PNC hand-polished. Do they carry heavier gauges in hand polished (but sold-out at this time)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic16
    Mark, would you mind telling me exactly the Pyramid product ID for the hand polished strings? I do not see "hand polished" in Pyramid's electric string sets (I do see "hand polished in Pyramid's acoustic sets. I see "hand wrapped in the electric sets." I'm looking at Strings by Mail's listing for Pyramid Electric Guitar Strings and see these:

Pure Nickel Classics - the standard set you've used for years
    Pure Nickel Hand Wound
    Pure Nickel Round Wound

Thanks.
    Richard
    Pyramid Pure Nickel Wound Classics HAND POLISHED Round Core Electric Guitar Strings P454 Traditional 12-54

User Info Menu

Mark, ah, Strings and Beyond. Thanks! BTW, most enjoyable to hear you playing in the video above.
    Richard

User Info Menu

ok so they do have a round core!!!..a pure nickel roundwound with a round core...good stuff!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic16
    Mark, ah, Strings and Beyond. Thanks! BTW, most enjoyable to hear you playing in the video above.
    Richard
    thank you, the string review really was just a clever ploy all along to get guys to listen to me.

User Info Menu

I'm going to try to use the Pyramid .012s flatwound. My wife told me she hates the string noise with a passion and she told me she'll make me sleep in the yard if I don't get flats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    I'm going to try to use the Pyramid .012s flatwound. My wife told me she hates the string noise with a passion and she told me she'll make me sleep in the yard if I don't get flats.
    . That sounds completely reasonable to me. Did you happen to mention that $10k+ archtops have a even greater sonic bliss for spousal consideration?

User Info Menu

hi Guys, here’s an update for Wednesday 5/6/20 as these strings have now been on since Sunday morning and that sharpness that comes with fresh strings has smoothed off a bit. I still love these strings!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Thanks for your review!
    I‘ve tried them today and they sound very nice and rich, full of sustain and overtones. Sweet and mellow but full of clarity. And I have to agree, intonation is incredibly better. Don‘t know why, it‘s amazing.

On the other side they feel a little stiff and dirty, not really slinky. They even look a bit old and dirty...maybe I‘ve got an older set?
    Tone is phenomenal, dunno if I get used to their „roughness“ under my fingers.
    String Review - “Hand Polished” Pyramid Nickel Classic-3caa72c3-487c-466c-a0b5-8c2e2ae30e15-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images String Review - “Hand Polished” Pyramid Nickel Classic-0ea03a48-793f-47a1-b195-a2ec61f3253d-jpg 
    Last edited by Stefan Eff; 03-06-2021 at 08:55 AM.