The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 96 of 96

User Info Menu

It’s a fantastic amp—weighs about what a Twin Reverb weighs, too! ANd I can’t say enough good about that Epiphone ES175 Premium. Zero mods, straight-stock. Plays wonderfully, sounds great. Punches far above it’s class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Today I'm playing two guitars on and off through this old battle-axe, the Sears Silvertone 1484 "Twin Twelve" head, using the Yamaha G100-210 as a speaker cabinet. Guitars are the 2015 Gibson L5ces and an Epiphone Zephyr Regent Reissue (like an ES165) with the Seymour Duncan PhatCat P90-in-a-humbucker pickup, which I'm enjoying immensely.

Guitar and Amp of the Day-rig-day-jpg

User Info Menu

So here's a demo of the Silvertone 1484 "Twin Twelve" head played through the Yamaha G100-210 cabinet, mic'd with a Shure Sm57. Guitar of the day is the 2015 Gibson L5ces. I love how this sounds "in the room" and kept tweaking the microphone placement to try and capture it. Failed. Need to read up on microphone placement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So here's a demo of the Silvertone 1484 "Twin Twelve" head played through the Yamaha G100-210 cabinet, mic'd with a Shure Sm57. Guitar of the day is the 2015 Gibson L5ces. I love how this sounds "in the room" and kept tweaking the microphone placement to try and capture it. Failed. Need to read up on microphone placement.

Since this old Silvertone is such an interesting amp, I decided to do that same solo again, except for recording I'm sending the Silvertone's speaker output to the Bugera PS1 Power Soak. From there I have a line running to a speaker for monitoring, and the PS1 XLR is going to the PreSonus Audiobox iTwo for recording. I actually think this direct line compares well with the mic'd speaker cabinet.

User Info Menu

Here's what I'll be picking up today to run a few lines or mangle a lovely standard. The 1970's Aria II PE180 is a very peculiar beast. The shape of an L5ces, the neck of a Super 400, the construction of maybe a Tal Farlow or ES350. I sometimes wonder if in fact this thing feels more like a Tal than an L5ces. I wouldn't know since I've never played a Tal. The amp is my current go-to, the Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb. Hope to make some clips while practicing today.

I love seeing what everyone is playing, regardless of how unusual or not, how elaborate or not, it may be. We all make music, and these instruments and amps are our vehicles for doing that.

Guitar and Amp of the Day-area180-tmtr-jpg

User Info Menu

No amp today....1955 L5N

Guitar and Amp of the Day-55l5n-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    No amp today....1955 L5N

Guitar and Amp of the Day-55l5n-jpg
    Beautiful!!! I can look at old L5's all day long.

User Info Menu

I'll post another pair.....

This is a 1960 Guild T-50 B and a '59 Guild MasterAmp 66-J.

The T-50 B is a thinline 16" hollow body akin to the thinline Gibson ES-125 models that began to appear at the same time.
    This one was played a LOT by the previous owner....took a lot of cleaning and defunkifying to be able to stay in the same room with it, let alone play it!
    But it was all use but no abuse. The frets were extremely worn all the way up and down the neck but I liked it well enough to have it refretted for another go around.
    I love the Franz single coil sound and this guitar does lots very well.

The '59 '66-J is another interesting 12-15 watt amp of the day.
    This was factory equipped with a Jensen P12-R speaker but I switched it out for a P12-P and managed to get a little cleaner sound at higher volumes.....less breakup.
    I sometimes use an Empress Para EQ with old amps like this and am surprised at how well they respond.....voices one never might expect to hear. Those old Jensens can really shine.

I had these out to take this photo for a friend and went ahead and powered up and played....
    might just stay with these two for awhile.

Guitar and Amp of the Day-0e318d45-178c-430e-afb7-585be7a709af_1_201_a-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zizala
    I'll post another pair.....

This is a 1960 Guild T-50 B and a '59 Guild MasterAmp 66-J.

The T-50 B is a thinline 16" hollow body akin to the thinline Gibson ES-125 models that began to appear at the same time.
    This one was played a LOT by the previous owner....took a lot of cleaning and defunkifying to be able to stay in the same room with it, let alone play it!
    But it was all use but no abuse. The frets were extremely worn all the way up and down the neck but I liked it well enough to have it refretted for another go around.
    I love the Franz single coil sound and this guitar does lots very well.

The '59 '66-J is another interesting 12-15 watt amp of the day.
    This was factory equipped with a Jensen P12-R speaker but I switched it out for a P12-P and managed to get a little cleaner sound at higher volumes.....less breakup.
    I sometimes use an Empress Para EQ with old amps like this and am surprised at how well they respond.....voices one never might expect to hear. Those old Jensens can really shine.

I had these out to take this photo for a friend and went ahead and powered up and played....
    might just stay with these two for awhile.

Guitar and Amp of the Day-0e318d45-178c-430e-afb7-585be7a709af_1_201_a-jpg
    That's a really unique and wonderful rig you have there. Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

I’ve been out of commission for a few weeks dealing with a serious health issue. Now that I’m on the mend, today, I was able to play my recently acquired Tal Farlow for a few minutes. With my Roland Cube 80 (I pried off the gaudy CUBE logo years ago) it’s just magical. But, I’m learning that this guitar sounds great through any of my amps. It sounds fat and wonderful. Thank you to my forum friends for opening my eyes as to this particular model. Really special.

Roli

Guitar and Amp of the Day-7c41de15-99b2-428b-af85-42d530d13c48-jpg

User Info Menu

I know this is gonna post sideways and hence piss me off, but I figure I would post anyway. Also, a really poor picture, BUT here 'tis!

Afternoon spending the afternoon working on my golf swing I figured I'd further beat myself senseless and pickup the guitar. It's all very humbling. Anyway, this is my mid-90s Guild X-700 and Rivera Suprema Jazz 25. I'm a beginner hack, but I have a few nice guitars and a couple of good amps for reasons unknown. I would say that this combo is my most sophisticated and elegant sounding of the bunch. If I can get a good sound out of these SOBs I imagine you guys could really make em shine!
    Cheers, folks.....Guitar and Amp of the Day-20200521_200103-jpg

User Info Menu

Today was this Seventy Seven Exrubato Jazz through the Ivy League. This guitar is almost perfect. It just feels and sounds so good. Fully hollow with no center block, excellent pickups, super comfortable neck with a 1.75” nut and flat radius. They rarely show up used, but when they do, they are silly cheap for the level of quality.

Guitar and Amp of the Day-ab36e9f2-8388-4083-a6a1-46e7c67a9c35-jpg

User Info Menu

My 1978 Princeton (non-reverb) with Weber C10Q/10F125 and Sole-Mate reverb.
    1948 L-7 with vintage 50's DeArmond 1000.
    At the moment my home play setup. Sounds suberb!
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitar and Amp of the Day-img_2971-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jpb
    My 1978 Princeton (non-reverb) with Weber C10Q/10F125 and Sole-Mate reverb.
    1948 L-7 with vintage 50's DeArmond 1000.
    At the moment my home play setup. Sounds suberb!
    Boy, that would keep almost anybody happy. So cool!

User Info Menu

I snagged this little beast and it’s pushed my metal mood further along. It has a great clean tone too, but I can’t live by jazz alone.

User Info Menu

I took this pic yesterday. I have had a 1990s Polytone Mini Brute IV for over 20 years but over the last few years I hardly played it. I used my Mambo instead or my Katana 50. However over the last few weeks I kind of rediscovered it. In the "cut" mode, with the treble a bit down it sounds great!

Guitar and Amp of the Day-tal-poly-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    I’ve been out of commission for a few weeks dealing with a serious health issue. Now that I’m on the mend, today, I was able to play my recently acquired Tal Farlow for a few minutes. With my Roland Cube 80 (I pried off the gaudy CUBE logo years ago) it’s just magical. But, I’m learning that this guitar sounds great through any of my amps. It sounds fat and wonderful. Thank you to my forum friends for opening my eyes as to this particular model. Really special.

Roli

Beauty of a rig. May you have a full and fast recovery.

User Info Menu

Today it's my 1971 Guild M-75 through a 1967 Gretsch 6152.
    Thanks John
    PS: get well soon roli
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitar and Amp of the Day-img_1054-jpg 
    Last edited by powerwagonjohn; 06-01-2020 at 01:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Beauty of a rig. May you have a full and fast recovery.
    A sincere thank you for the well wishes! I’m doing better each day and grateful to be alive. Have a wonderful day!

Roli

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen

Roli

My you recover your strength and health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    My you recover your strength and health!
    Thank you, kindly! All the best to you too.