The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 96

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Android, Your Epi Joe Pass Emperor II Pro is a beauty. I tried one and was surprised at how loud it was acoustically. Nice resonant guitar. Congrats and play it in good health!

Roli
    Thanks
    Yes unplugged it has a great sound
    I would like to pick up a nicer amp for it though thanmy cube
    Quiet like the look of the Yamaha portable range

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm seeing some very nice guitar and amp of the day pairs and appreciate the views!

I'm having a trip down memory lane today with a pair of early Guilds.

Here's a Guild X-100 from 1953, first year of production from the original Guild NYC shop.
    The amp is a '55 Guild MasterAmp 66 which after some excellent restoration by Chris Davis (Wappingers Falls, NY),
    sounds quit amazing...very hi fi surprisingly.

And with some mods to the unusual circuitry by Chris, it will no longer threaten to kill me....

Guitar and Amp of the Day-920f7cbd-8285-4c92-abd7-c5cd40dfde46_1_201_a-jpg
    Last edited by zizala; 05-04-2020 at 02:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Today its this: 57 Byrdland through a '60 Standel 50J12V
    Attachment 71881
    Wow that’s a stunner!! An old Byrdland is one of my dream guitars. One day....

User Info Menu

Today I'm going to one of my favorite budget archtops, an Epiphone Zephyr Regent Re-Issue that I picked up for about $400. I currently have a Seymour Duncan PhatCat pickup in it, a P90-in-a-humbucker. I'm really enjoying playing this. I wish I could specify what's different about the pickup, but I do know it varies widely depending on the amp, interestingly enough. Through some amps it has a clarity that is amazing, through others it gets all Jim Hall soft and smooth.

Today's amp is a 1960's Silvertone 1484 "Twin Twelve" head, powered by two 6L6 tubes. For a speaker cabinet I'm using a Yamaha G100-210, which suits this amp head just beautifully. It's also great with the Quilter Tone Block 202 you see in the picture. But for today, I'm going retro with the Silvertone. I might try to make a clip to post.

Guitar and Amp of the Day-ezrr-1364a-jpgGuitar and Amp of the Day-ezrr-1364-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Today I'm going to one of my favorite budget archtops, an Epiphone Zephyr Regent Re-Issue that I picked up for about $400. I currently have a Seymour Duncan PhatCat pickup in it, a P90-in-a-humbucker. I'm really enjoying playing this. I wish I could specify what's different about the pickup, but I do know it varies widely depending on the amp, interestingly enough. Through some amps it has a clarity that is amazing, through others it gets all Jim Hall soft and smooth.

Today's amp is a 1960's Silvertone 1484 "Twin Twelve" head, powered by two 6L6 tubes. For a speaker cabinet I'm using a Yamaha G100-210, which suits this amp head just beautifully. It's also great with the Quilter Tone Block 202 you see in the picture. But for today, I'm going retro with the Silvertone. I might try to make a clip to post.

Guitar and Amp of the Day-ezrr-1364a-jpgGuitar and Amp of the Day-ezrr-1364-jpg
    That mkii series Yamaha G100 is a righteous amp unto itself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    That mkii series Yamaha G100 is a righteous amp unto itself.
    It is certainly that. This one I got on a trade for some Roland cheap-o. This had fallen over sometime and the parametric EQ knob has a terrible, cracking sound, deafening, actually, when turned. But everything else is perfect and it sounds fantastic. Like a Twin Reverb, it weighs a ton. I have it on casters.

User Info Menu

Just posted a NGD for this one right now. I will probably be playing it for the foreseeable future....

1935 L-50

Guitar and Amp of the Day-61039036166-8faea85f-106f-47da-bad4-b810f8d4cb68-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Just posted a NGD for this one right now. I will probably be playing it for the foreseeable future....

1935 L-50

Guitar and Amp of the Day-61039036166-8faea85f-106f-47da-bad4-b810f8d4cb68-jpg
    l think we can all agree Paulie2 wins.

User Info Menu

Guitar and Amp of the Day-rig-2020-jpg

Guitar and Amp of the Day-pinky_primary-jpg

User Info Menu

Today I'm playing two fairly new friends, but they each emulate classic guitar tone. The Gibson VOS1959 ES175 is a simply wonderful guitar that captures the vibe of the classic era of this guitar so well. I love how this guitar feel, sounds, and looks. Today I'm playing it through the Quilter Tone Block 202 which has a tone I love, very warm and tube-like. You can set it up with the Fender mid-scooped sound, or a more modern tone profile. I'm playing it through the dual 10" speakers of my Yamaha G100-210 which is effectually the heaviest speaker cabinet ever! I should actually play through this AMP more often. I tend to use it as a speaker cabinet but it can hold its own with any amp out there.

I have a spot in my office between a double-wide "island" book-case and another bookcase on the wall. It's not visible if you step through the door but it's turned into a perfect spot to set up for practice and making clips for study groups. Sometimes while I"m playing, I see a book and have some random thought and end up putting the guitar down, pulling out the book, and hours later I re-emerge from the reading. This photo is an attempt to capture the feel of this particular spot.

I've had access every day to my office during the COVID19 time, and I've been grateful for this space that so wonderfully joins work to play, scholarly research and musical exploration, social isolation and yet, community with the great minds, great hearts, and great talents of others.

Among those "others" are, of course, you all, my colleagues on this forum.

Guitar and Amp of the Day-es175vos-tb202-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm 90% flat top for the past few weeks.
    The weather has been nice, my porch, a beer, and my Gibson LG-2 American Eagle are on the agenda.
    My calluses are in great shape, but my favorite jam bar just shut down.

User Info Menu

Felt Fendery today. Old pic, the Christmas tree isn't still up

(Sure it isn't, Jeff...)

Guitar and Amp of the Day-fb_img_1580089251596-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice pair of Fenders....no doubt!
    Can't beat a Tele and a Jazzmaster......

But OK.....if we're going to play things a little looser with the whole guitar and amp of the day thing....

I submit my next entry.....

Guitar and Amp of the Day-889eebdd-b6fd-4669-883c-237706312e5d_1_201_a-jpg
    Last edited by zizala; 05-06-2020 at 03:08 PM.

User Info Menu

For the past week I've been playing my 68 LP Gold top thru a VHT Special 6.
    Guitar and Amp of the Day-lp-jpg

User Info Menu

I’ve been exclusively acoustic for the Covid period, but tonight I cranked up this old but restored Vibrolux with a reissue of a classic.

User Info Menu

Today it's a fairly new Epiphone ES175 Premium--way too much guitar for the money--and I had an idea. My Yamaha G100-210 is usually just the speaker cabinet for a couple of different amps, but today I connected the speaker's back to ... the amp itself! Wow, I'd forgotten how great this amp sounds. It's weight is in the Twin Reverb class, and I got it on a ridiculously good trade. I hope to make a clip today, but seriously, this is a fantastic sounding amp.

Guitar and Amp of the Day-epiphonees175-g100210-jpg
    Last edited by lawson-stone; 05-10-2020 at 06:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Today it's a fairly new Epiphone ES175 Premium--way too much guitar for the money--and I had an idea. My Yamaha G100-210 is usually just the speaker cabinet for a couple of different amps, but today I connoted the speaker's back to ... the amp itself! Wow, I'd forgotten how great this amp sounds. It's weight is in the Twin Reverb class, and I got it on a ridiculously good trade. I hope to make a clip today, but seriously, this is a fantastic sounding amp.

Guitar and Amp of the Day-epiphonees175-g100210-jpg
    Please do! I have owned, sold, and regretted selling both a G50-112 mkii and a G100–112 mkii. Always on the lookout for another G50 with decent pots.

User Info Menu

Please do! I have owned, sold, and regretted selling both a G50-112 mkii and a G100–112 mkii. Always on the lookout for another G50 with decent pots.
    I wish instead of this behemoth that I had the G50-112. The sound, though, is amazing. I am becoming a fan of twin speakers.

User Info Menu

The speakers on that series were perfectly suited for the amps. I tried some replacements, but stock was best.

User Info Menu

The speakers on that series were perfectly suited for the amps. I tried some replacements, but stock was best.
    I found one speaker like is in my G100-210 and bought it on eBay but about a year later when i tried to put it in a cabinet it doesn't work. Only time I ever found this speaker actually for sale somewhere.

User Info Menu

Multiple speakers make a difference, whether they are connected to the same or different amps. Lately I've been playing through both my Little Jazz and MB-200/RE Stealth 10ER at the same time, through my RelayG10 wireless. The receiver has two outputs, one 1/4" and one XLR. I have an XLR-to-1/4" adapter, so I use both outputs simultaneously, one to each amp. That configuration sounds better than either alone. I've also played both of those amps through my Vibrolux Reverb cabinet, and both provide a great sound through two speakers. Not to mention the VR itself. But all things being considered, the VR went back to the closet, and I'm using the two solid-state amps together, and I like the sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Multiple speakers make a difference, whether they are connected to the same or different amps. Lately I've been playing through both my Little Jazz and MB-200/RE Stealth 10ER at the same time, through my RelayG10 wireless. The receiver has two outputs, one 1/4" and one XLR. I have an XLR-to-1/4" adapter, so I use both outputs simultaneously, one to each amp. That configuration sounds better than either alone. I've also played both of those amps through my Vibrolux Reverb cabinet, and both provide a great sound through two speakers. Not to mention the VR itself. But all things being considered, the VR went back to the closet, and I'm using the two solid-state amps together, and I like the sound.
    COVID Quarantine FUN experiment. I will try this myself!

User Info Menu

I definitely prefer multiple speakers. It lends breadth to the sound even when in the same cab, especially if the cab is open-back.

User Info Menu

Here's a quick clip using Jimmy Raney's solo "Bout You and Me" based on "How About You." Playing the Epiphone ES175+Yamaha G100-210, mic'd with a Shure SM57 into the PreSonus Audiobox iTwo>MacBookPro Quicktime Player.

Clams provided free of charge for your dining pleasure.

User Info Menu

Definitely has some of the Twin Reverb mojo going on!