Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 96 of 96
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Android, Your Epi Joe Pass Emperor II Pro is a beauty. I tried one and was surprised at how loud it was acoustically. Nice resonant guitar. Congrats and play it in good health!

    Roli
    Thanks
    Yes unplugged it has a great sound
    I would like to pick up a nicer amp for it though thanmy cube
    Quiet like the look of the Yamaha portable range


    Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    I'm seeing some very nice guitar and amp of the day pairs and appreciate the views!

    I'm having a trip down memory lane today with a pair of early Guilds.

    Here's a Guild X-100 from 1953, first year of production from the original Guild NYC shop.
    The amp is a '55 Guild MasterAmp 66 which after some excellent restoration by Chris Davis (Wappingers Falls, NY),
    sounds quit amazing...very hi fi surprisingly.

    And with some mods to the unusual circuitry by Chris, it will no longer threaten to kill me....

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-920f7cbd-8285-4c92-abd7-c5cd40dfde46_1_201_a-jpg
    Last edited by zizala; 05-04-2020 at 02:04 PM.

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Today its this: 57 Byrdland through a '60 Standel 50J12V
    Attachment 71881
    Wow that’s a stunner!! An old Byrdland is one of my dream guitars. One day....

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    Today I'm going to one of my favorite budget archtops, an Epiphone Zephyr Regent Re-Issue that I picked up for about $400. I currently have a Seymour Duncan PhatCat pickup in it, a P90-in-a-humbucker. I'm really enjoying playing this. I wish I could specify what's different about the pickup, but I do know it varies widely depending on the amp, interestingly enough. Through some amps it has a clarity that is amazing, through others it gets all Jim Hall soft and smooth.

    Today's amp is a 1960's Silvertone 1484 "Twin Twelve" head, powered by two 6L6 tubes. For a speaker cabinet I'm using a Yamaha G100-210, which suits this amp head just beautifully. It's also great with the Quilter Tone Block 202 you see in the picture. But for today, I'm going retro with the Silvertone. I might try to make a clip to post.

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-ezrr-1364a-jpgGuitar and Amp of the Day-ezrr-1364-jpg

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Today I'm going to one of my favorite budget archtops, an Epiphone Zephyr Regent Re-Issue that I picked up for about $400. I currently have a Seymour Duncan PhatCat pickup in it, a P90-in-a-humbucker. I'm really enjoying playing this. I wish I could specify what's different about the pickup, but I do know it varies widely depending on the amp, interestingly enough. Through some amps it has a clarity that is amazing, through others it gets all Jim Hall soft and smooth.

    Today's amp is a 1960's Silvertone 1484 "Twin Twelve" head, powered by two 6L6 tubes. For a speaker cabinet I'm using a Yamaha G100-210, which suits this amp head just beautifully. It's also great with the Quilter Tone Block 202 you see in the picture. But for today, I'm going retro with the Silvertone. I might try to make a clip to post.

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-ezrr-1364a-jpgGuitar and Amp of the Day-ezrr-1364-jpg
    That mkii series Yamaha G100 is a righteous amp unto itself.

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    That mkii series Yamaha G100 is a righteous amp unto itself.
    It is certainly that. This one I got on a trade for some Roland cheap-o. This had fallen over sometime and the parametric EQ knob has a terrible, cracking sound, deafening, actually, when turned. But everything else is perfect and it sounds fantastic. Like a Twin Reverb, it weighs a ton. I have it on casters.

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Just posted a NGD for this one right now. I will probably be playing it for the foreseeable future....

    1935 L-50

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-61039036166-8faea85f-106f-47da-bad4-b810f8d4cb68-jpg

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Just posted a NGD for this one right now. I will probably be playing it for the foreseeable future....

    1935 L-50

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-61039036166-8faea85f-106f-47da-bad4-b810f8d4cb68-jpg
    l think we can all agree Paulie2 wins.

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-rig-2020-jpg

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-pinky_primary-jpg

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    Today I'm playing two fairly new friends, but they each emulate classic guitar tone. The Gibson VOS1959 ES175 is a simply wonderful guitar that captures the vibe of the classic era of this guitar so well. I love how this guitar feel, sounds, and looks. Today I'm playing it through the Quilter Tone Block 202 which has a tone I love, very warm and tube-like. You can set it up with the Fender mid-scooped sound, or a more modern tone profile. I'm playing it through the dual 10" speakers of my Yamaha G100-210 which is effectually the heaviest speaker cabinet ever! I should actually play through this AMP more often. I tend to use it as a speaker cabinet but it can hold its own with any amp out there.

    I have a spot in my office between a double-wide "island" book-case and another bookcase on the wall. It's not visible if you step through the door but it's turned into a perfect spot to set up for practice and making clips for study groups. Sometimes while I"m playing, I see a book and have some random thought and end up putting the guitar down, pulling out the book, and hours later I re-emerge from the reading. This photo is an attempt to capture the feel of this particular spot.

    I've had access every day to my office during the COVID19 time, and I've been grateful for this space that so wonderfully joins work to play, scholarly research and musical exploration, social isolation and yet, community with the great minds, great hearts, and great talents of others.

    Among those "others" are, of course, you all, my colleagues on this forum.

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-es175vos-tb202-jpg

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    I'm 90% flat top for the past few weeks.
    The weather has been nice, my porch, a beer, and my Gibson LG-2 American Eagle are on the agenda.
    My calluses are in great shape, but my favorite jam bar just shut down.

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    Felt Fendery today. Old pic, the Christmas tree isn't still up

    (Sure it isn't, Jeff...)

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-fb_img_1580089251596-jpg

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    Nice pair of Fenders....no doubt!
    Can't beat a Tele and a Jazzmaster......

    But OK.....if we're going to play things a little looser with the whole guitar and amp of the day thing....

    I submit my next entry.....


    Guitar and Amp of the Day-889eebdd-b6fd-4669-883c-237706312e5d_1_201_a-jpg
    Last edited by zizala; 05-06-2020 at 03:08 PM.

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    For the past week I've been playing my 68 LP Gold top thru a VHT Special 6.
    Guitar and Amp of the Day-lp-jpg

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    I’ve been exclusively acoustic for the Covid period, but tonight I cranked up this old but restored Vibrolux with a reissue of a classic.


  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Today it's a fairly new Epiphone ES175 Premium--way too much guitar for the money--and I had an idea. My Yamaha G100-210 is usually just the speaker cabinet for a couple of different amps, but today I connected the speaker's back to ... the amp itself! Wow, I'd forgotten how great this amp sounds. It's weight is in the Twin Reverb class, and I got it on a ridiculously good trade. I hope to make a clip today, but seriously, this is a fantastic sounding amp.

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-epiphonees175-g100210-jpg
    Last edited by lawson-stone; 05-10-2020 at 06:37 PM.

  18. #67

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Today it's a fairly new Epiphone ES175 Premium--way too much guitar for the money--and I had an idea. My Yamaha G100-210 is usually just the speaker cabinet for a couple of different amps, but today I connoted the speaker's back to ... the amp itself! Wow, I'd forgotten how great this amp sounds. It's weight is in the Twin Reverb class, and I got it on a ridiculously good trade. I hope to make a clip today, but seriously, this is a fantastic sounding amp.

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-epiphonees175-g100210-jpg
    Please do! I have owned, sold, and regretted selling both a G50-112 mkii and a G100–112 mkii. Always on the lookout for another G50 with decent pots.

  19. #68

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Please do! I have owned, sold, and regretted selling both a G50-112 mkii and a G100–112 mkii. Always on the lookout for another G50 with decent pots.
    I wish instead of this behemoth that I had the G50-112. The sound, though, is amazing. I am becoming a fan of twin speakers.

  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    The speakers on that series were perfectly suited for the amps. I tried some replacements, but stock was best.

  21. #70

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    The speakers on that series were perfectly suited for the amps. I tried some replacements, but stock was best.
    I found one speaker like is in my G100-210 and bought it on eBay but about a year later when i tried to put it in a cabinet it doesn't work. Only time I ever found this speaker actually for sale somewhere.

  22. #71

    User Info Menu

    Multiple speakers make a difference, whether they are connected to the same or different amps. Lately I've been playing through both my Little Jazz and MB-200/RE Stealth 10ER at the same time, through my RelayG10 wireless. The receiver has two outputs, one 1/4" and one XLR. I have an XLR-to-1/4" adapter, so I use both outputs simultaneously, one to each amp. That configuration sounds better than either alone. I've also played both of those amps through my Vibrolux Reverb cabinet, and both provide a great sound through two speakers. Not to mention the VR itself. But all things being considered, the VR went back to the closet, and I'm using the two solid-state amps together, and I like the sound.

  23. #72

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Multiple speakers make a difference, whether they are connected to the same or different amps. Lately I've been playing through both my Little Jazz and MB-200/RE Stealth 10ER at the same time, through my RelayG10 wireless. The receiver has two outputs, one 1/4" and one XLR. I have an XLR-to-1/4" adapter, so I use both outputs simultaneously, one to each amp. That configuration sounds better than either alone. I've also played both of those amps through my Vibrolux Reverb cabinet, and both provide a great sound through two speakers. Not to mention the VR itself. But all things being considered, the VR went back to the closet, and I'm using the two solid-state amps together, and I like the sound.
    COVID Quarantine FUN experiment. I will try this myself!

  24. #73

    User Info Menu

    I definitely prefer multiple speakers. It lends breadth to the sound even when in the same cab, especially if the cab is open-back.

  25. #74

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Please do! I have owned, sold, and regretted selling both a G50-112 mkii and a G100–112 mkii. Always on the lookout for another G50 with decent pots.
    Here's a quick clip using Jimmy Raney's solo "Bout You and Me" based on "How About You." Playing the Epiphone ES175+Yamaha G100-210, mic'd with a Shure SM57 into the PreSonus Audiobox iTwo>MacBookPro Quicktime Player.

    Clams provided free of charge for your dining pleasure.


  26. #75

    User Info Menu

    Definitely has some of the Twin Reverb mojo going on!

  27. #76

    User Info Menu

    It’s a fantastic amp—weighs about what a Twin Reverb weighs, too! ANd I can’t say enough good about that Epiphone ES175 Premium. Zero mods, straight-stock. Plays wonderfully, sounds great. Punches far above it’s class.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  28. #77

    User Info Menu

    Today I'm playing two guitars on and off through this old battle-axe, the Sears Silvertone 1484 "Twin Twelve" head, using the Yamaha G100-210 as a speaker cabinet. Guitars are the 2015 Gibson L5ces and an Epiphone Zephyr Regent Reissue (like an ES165) with the Seymour Duncan PhatCat P90-in-a-humbucker pickup, which I'm enjoying immensely.

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-rig-day-jpg

  29. #78

    User Info Menu

    So here's a demo of the Silvertone 1484 "Twin Twelve" head played through the Yamaha G100-210 cabinet, mic'd with a Shure Sm57. Guitar of the day is the 2015 Gibson L5ces. I love how this sounds "in the room" and kept tweaking the microphone placement to try and capture it. Failed. Need to read up on microphone placement.


  30. #79

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So here's a demo of the Silvertone 1484 "Twin Twelve" head played through the Yamaha G100-210 cabinet, mic'd with a Shure Sm57. Guitar of the day is the 2015 Gibson L5ces. I love how this sounds "in the room" and kept tweaking the microphone placement to try and capture it. Failed. Need to read up on microphone placement.

    Since this old Silvertone is such an interesting amp, I decided to do that same solo again, except for recording I'm sending the Silvertone's speaker output to the Bugera PS1 Power Soak. From there I have a line running to a speaker for monitoring, and the PS1 XLR is going to the PreSonus Audiobox iTwo for recording. I actually think this direct line compares well with the mic'd speaker cabinet.


  31. #80

    User Info Menu

    Here's what I'll be picking up today to run a few lines or mangle a lovely standard. The 1970's Aria II PE180 is a very peculiar beast. The shape of an L5ces, the neck of a Super 400, the construction of maybe a Tal Farlow or ES350. I sometimes wonder if in fact this thing feels more like a Tal than an L5ces. I wouldn't know since I've never played a Tal. The amp is my current go-to, the Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb. Hope to make some clips while practicing today.

    I love seeing what everyone is playing, regardless of how unusual or not, how elaborate or not, it may be. We all make music, and these instruments and amps are our vehicles for doing that.

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-area180-tmtr-jpg

  32. #81

    User Info Menu

    No amp today....1955 L5N

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-55l5n-jpg

  33. #82

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    No amp today....1955 L5N

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-55l5n-jpg
    Beautiful!!! I can look at old L5's all day long.

  34. #83

    User Info Menu

    I'll post another pair.....

    This is a 1960 Guild T-50 B and a '59 Guild MasterAmp 66-J.

    The T-50 B is a thinline 16" hollow body akin to the thinline Gibson ES-125 models that began to appear at the same time.
    This one was played a LOT by the previous owner....took a lot of cleaning and defunkifying to be able to stay in the same room with it, let alone play it!
    But it was all use but no abuse. The frets were extremely worn all the way up and down the neck but I liked it well enough to have it refretted for another go around.
    I love the Franz single coil sound and this guitar does lots very well.

    The '59 '66-J is another interesting 12-15 watt amp of the day.
    This was factory equipped with a Jensen P12-R speaker but I switched it out for a P12-P and managed to get a little cleaner sound at higher volumes.....less breakup.
    I sometimes use an Empress Para EQ with old amps like this and am surprised at how well they respond.....voices one never might expect to hear. Those old Jensens can really shine.

    I had these out to take this photo for a friend and went ahead and powered up and played....
    might just stay with these two for awhile.

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-0e318d45-178c-430e-afb7-585be7a709af_1_201_a-jpg

  35. #84

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by zizala
    I'll post another pair.....

    This is a 1960 Guild T-50 B and a '59 Guild MasterAmp 66-J.

    The T-50 B is a thinline 16" hollow body akin to the thinline Gibson ES-125 models that began to appear at the same time.
    This one was played a LOT by the previous owner....took a lot of cleaning and defunkifying to be able to stay in the same room with it, let alone play it!
    But it was all use but no abuse. The frets were extremely worn all the way up and down the neck but I liked it well enough to have it refretted for another go around.
    I love the Franz single coil sound and this guitar does lots very well.

    The '59 '66-J is another interesting 12-15 watt amp of the day.
    This was factory equipped with a Jensen P12-R speaker but I switched it out for a P12-P and managed to get a little cleaner sound at higher volumes.....less breakup.
    I sometimes use an Empress Para EQ with old amps like this and am surprised at how well they respond.....voices one never might expect to hear. Those old Jensens can really shine.

    I had these out to take this photo for a friend and went ahead and powered up and played....
    might just stay with these two for awhile.

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-0e318d45-178c-430e-afb7-585be7a709af_1_201_a-jpg
    That's a really unique and wonderful rig you have there. Thanks for sharing!

  36. #85

    User Info Menu

    I’ve been out of commission for a few weeks dealing with a serious health issue. Now that I’m on the mend, today, I was able to play my recently acquired Tal Farlow for a few minutes. With my Roland Cube 80 (I pried off the gaudy CUBE logo years ago) it’s just magical. But, I’m learning that this guitar sounds great through any of my amps. It sounds fat and wonderful. Thank you to my forum friends for opening my eyes as to this particular model. Really special.

    Roli

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-7c41de15-99b2-428b-af85-42d530d13c48-jpg

  37. #86

    User Info Menu

    I know this is gonna post sideways and hence piss me off, but I figure I would post anyway. Also, a really poor picture, BUT here 'tis!

    Afternoon spending the afternoon working on my golf swing I figured I'd further beat myself senseless and pickup the guitar. It's all very humbling. Anyway, this is my mid-90s Guild X-700 and Rivera Suprema Jazz 25. I'm a beginner hack, but I have a few nice guitars and a couple of good amps for reasons unknown. I would say that this combo is my most sophisticated and elegant sounding of the bunch. If I can get a good sound out of these SOBs I imagine you guys could really make em shine!
    Cheers, folks.....Guitar and Amp of the Day-20200521_200103-jpg

  38. #87

    User Info Menu

    Today was this Seventy Seven Exrubato Jazz through the Ivy League. This guitar is almost perfect. It just feels and sounds so good. Fully hollow with no center block, excellent pickups, super comfortable neck with a 1.75” nut and flat radius. They rarely show up used, but when they do, they are silly cheap for the level of quality.

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-ab36e9f2-8388-4083-a6a1-46e7c67a9c35-jpg

  39. #88

    User Info Menu

    My 1978 Princeton (non-reverb) with Weber C10Q/10F125 and Sole-Mate reverb.
    1948 L-7 with vintage 50's DeArmond 1000.
    At the moment my home play setup. Sounds suberb!
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitar and Amp of the Day-img_2971-jpg 

  40. #89

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jpb
    My 1978 Princeton (non-reverb) with Weber C10Q/10F125 and Sole-Mate reverb.
    1948 L-7 with vintage 50's DeArmond 1000.
    At the moment my home play setup. Sounds suberb!
    Boy, that would keep almost anybody happy. So cool!

  41. #90

    User Info Menu

    I snagged this little beast and it’s pushed my metal mood further along. It has a great clean tone too, but I can’t live by jazz alone.



  42. #91

    User Info Menu

    I took this pic yesterday. I have had a 1990s Polytone Mini Brute IV for over 20 years but over the last few years I hardly played it. I used my Mambo instead or my Katana 50. However over the last few weeks I kind of rediscovered it. In the "cut" mode, with the treble a bit down it sounds great!

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-tal-poly-jpg

  43. #92

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    I’ve been out of commission for a few weeks dealing with a serious health issue. Now that I’m on the mend, today, I was able to play my recently acquired Tal Farlow for a few minutes. With my Roland Cube 80 (I pried off the gaudy CUBE logo years ago) it’s just magical. But, I’m learning that this guitar sounds great through any of my amps. It sounds fat and wonderful. Thank you to my forum friends for opening my eyes as to this particular model. Really special.

    Roli

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-7c41de15-99b2-428b-af85-42d530d13c48-jpg
    Beauty of a rig. May you have a full and fast recovery.

  44. #93

    User Info Menu

    Today it's my 1971 Guild M-75 through a 1967 Gretsch 6152.
    Thanks John
    PS: get well soon roli
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitar and Amp of the Day-img_1054-jpg 
    Last edited by powerwagonjohn; 06-01-2020 at 01:53 PM.

  45. #94

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Beauty of a rig. May you have a full and fast recovery.
    A sincere thank you for the well wishes! I’m doing better each day and grateful to be alive. Have a wonderful day!

    Roli

  46. #95

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    I’ve been out of commission for a few weeks dealing with a serious health issue. Now that I’m on the mend, today, I was able to play my recently acquired Tal Farlow for a few minutes. With my Roland Cube 80 (I pried off the gaudy CUBE logo years ago) it’s just magical. But, I’m learning that this guitar sounds great through any of my amps. It sounds fat and wonderful. Thank you to my forum friends for opening my eyes as to this particular model. Really special.

    Roli

    Guitar and Amp of the Day-7c41de15-99b2-428b-af85-42d530d13c48-jpg
    My you recover your strength and health!

  47. #96

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    My you recover your strength and health!
    Thank you, kindly! All the best to you too.