User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBClark
    Mostly switch between these two:
    Abe Rivera Semi- Spalted maple
    Roger Borys “Jazz Solid”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *For other gear junkies like myself*
    Couple others from the collection:
    -Abe Rivera archtop- small body but very deep. *built for Pat Martino as a gift for his wife at the time*
    -Abe Rivera Scroll guitar- fully chambered ‘solid body’ guitar, very early build
    -Borys ‘Jazz Classic’- nylon string archtop
    -*old ‘group shot’ of a few guitars including some of the guitars listed above, and some others. Some are gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    Hey Guys, beautiful armaments here!
    Who / what site do you use to host your beautiful images? I have photos, but Photobucket doesn't appeal to me anymore, they used to be free, but now just screw around with me.
    Any free sites you can recommend. Thanks

Keep safe and keep playin'
    Hey Jimmy, I use imgur.com - it's free and easy. I don't think you have to register to upload anything, but it's nice for keeping track of your uploads.

Here's my #1, my ES-139.

User Info Menu

Up until just before I couldn't gig anymore due to the pandemic, my no.1 was my 1983 Epiphone Emperor F with Dynasonic pickups. It's such an easy guitar to play. The Dynasonics give it a great 50's bop sound.
    Quarantine Pastime - Post Your #1 Guitar-emperor-jpg

Now that I'm not gigging, this has been my no.1 - a 1960 Levin model 335. It's a carved top acoustic, with a fairly slim body. So comfortable to play. It needs a neck reset soon but it's still very playable as it is. I've been working on Johnny Smith solo guitar arrangements lately, this guitar is perfect for that. I can't get the image to rotate properly...
    Quarantine Pastime - Post Your #1 Guitar-levin-jpg

User Info Menu

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I did want to post about it - I'm back home now, and dropped my ES pictured above off for a refret - Jumbo Stainless. Never had an instrument refretted before. I'm anxious about it and it's costing half of what I bought the guitar for new, but it should be an investment, right?
    It's already been levelled a couple of times as I've had this guitar for 5 years playing for hours a day on Elixir strings.
    Crossing my fingers

Here's another glamour shot from earlier this spring:

User Info Menu

I have one guitar with Stainless Steel frets and they are as smooth as butter. Slippery smooth bends are almost effortless. But I can “hear” them. It’s not a bad sound. I love that guitar. It just may feel a little different, but in a good way. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quarantine Pastime - Post Your #1 Guitar-ccd8c769-07ef-42da-a453-550e87835c59-jpg
    These are doing it for me when I’m plugging in.

User Info Menu

I’m pretty sure Jim and his team only made one of these. I adore this guitar. Comfort, tone, ease of play. It has Jim’s wide string spacing and that trademark Soloway ergonomics. Quarantine Pastime - Post Your #1 Guitar-a7e71f59-5634-46c2-bca8-fabf4374d662-jpegQuarantine Pastime - Post Your #1 Guitar-d56e4241-fb16-4a2d-8469-f5508595c09a-jpeg

User Info Menu

Ok, I'll bite...

2011 ES 330L.
    I bought it new back then and I've hardly let it out of my sight ever since.

Quarantine Pastime - Post Your #1 Guitar-gibson_330_may_2020-jpg

User Info Menu

I keep my beloved Epihone Broadway in the living room, under the piano. Recovering from a recent surgery, I am not able to sit for very long but was able to play for a few minutes this evening. It was a treat. Here she is:

Quarantine Pastime - Post Your #1 Guitar-5c21c039-768f-4fab-b926-870fe781b977-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    I have one guitar with Stainless Steel frets and they are as smooth as butter. Slippery smooth bends are almost effortless. But I can “hear” them. It’s not a bad sound. I love that guitar. It just may feel a little different, but in a good way. Good luck!
    Cheers mate, I'm looking forward to trying them out. The only thing that worries me is that the guitar already plays perfect (aside from every single fret having flat spots), and I'm messing with success..! It is possible that it the guitar will now reach a new plateau of playability which I can't even imagine, we'll see

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr quick
    Cheers mate, I'm looking forward to trying them out. The only thing that worries me is that the guitar already plays perfect (aside from every single fret having flat spots), and I'm messing with success..! It is possible that it the guitar will now reach a new plateau of playability which I can't even imagine, we'll see
    I’ve had my SS refret on my main guitar for 10 years. It gets played a lot and there is no noticeable wear on the frets. They are truly amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    I’ve had my SS refret on my main guitar for 10 years. It gets played a lot and there is no noticeable wear on the frets. They are truly amazing.
    Thanks for the reassurance, that's precisely what I needed to hear. My guitar is only 5 years old but has already had a couple of fret jobs and recently the sitar effect on the E string rendered it essentially unusable. If I had gone with non-SS, I'd probably have to have it refrettet again 5 years down the line, at which point it has already cost more than SS.
    I got these by text yesterday:

Oh boy. He's also replacing the bridge pot which was not working right despite being brand new with the custom pickups I had made this winter.
    Here's a picture of the last time he went over the frets, I think it was early november 2019:

It came back like new, but it only takes me half a year to play 'em flat.

I handed in my thesis yesterday, and am defending it tomorrow - hopefully the guitar will be done by then, and hopefully I will have two things to celebrate

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reassurance, that's precisely what I needed to hear...

It came back like new, but it only takes me half a year to play 'em flat...

I handed in my thesis yesterday, and am defending it tomorrow - hopefully the guitar will be done by then, and hopefully I will have two things to celebrate
    Good luck on your defense! I think you’ll enjoy the SS frets. All the best to you!

Roli

User Info Menu

Quarantine Pastime - Post Your #1 Guitar-l5ces-black-jpgQuarantine Pastime - Post Your #1 Guitar-s-400-jpg

While I try to rotate all 15 of my guitars, these two have been getting the most play:

2003 Gibson L-5CESN (with handmade Kent Armstrong PAF's)
    1997 Gibson Super 400 CES

User Info Menu

Together 24/7 is not conducive to using an amp every day. Even at bedroom levels. Tired of headphones. Time for a flat top. They’re what I played for the first 25 years and I miss the sound. These new V Taylors do sound better on the upper frets to me. Very comfortable guitar. Smaller than my old dreadnought 16” x 4 3/8” about the size of the 175. 814ce dlx. Really like the armrest.
    Attached Images Attached Images Quarantine Pastime - Post Your #1 Guitar-2b4d250e-39cf-4408-8202-d7207049c913-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quarantine Pastime - Post Your #1 Guitar-img_5681-jpg

These are my trio of Benedetto baby's! Adding an Andy to the mix soon!!

User Info Menu

Finally got my ES back... New super jumbo Jescar stainless frets and a compound radius. Feels good, although he had set it way too high. Had to lower the strings a lot on day 1. The bridge pickup, which is the whole reason I even booked it, is still not fixed... This is somewhat overshadowing the joy of having it back. I paid $800 for this and it came back just as broken, ugh

User Info Menu

So, how'd it go? Wasn't your thesis about 80s fusion? Forgive me if I recall incorrectly ... I recall you are a big Robben fan...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    So, how'd it go? Wasn't your thesis about 80s fusion? Forgive me if I recall incorrectly ... I recall you are a big Robben fan...
    Thanks for asking mate, I am indeed. I think it went well, but I can't say for sure. Still waiting on results.
    Because of Covid and schools having been closed by the govt for most of the semester, they simplified the bachelor project to be less engrossing. Shorter thesis and no requirement for half an hour of recorded music. The result for me is that I feel like I did a pretty superficial job altogether, but these are strange times indeed.

At least I got a good excuse for diving into Robben Ford's playing, and look at what makes music sound "cool" to me - this is afterall what prompted me to choose this subject, that intangible concept...

And a bit of an anecdote pertaining to Robben Ford's style - one thing I've heard all my life as a guitar player, even from teachers, is that part of Robben's expression, and what "makes him good", is that he supposedly never plays fast phrases (read: amateur blues players defending their lack of fretboard knowledge and technical capacity). However, this doesn't seem to have ever been the case. These are some bars from his solo on Tom Scott's "Rock Island Rocket", recorded in 1974:

... at 120-ish BPM. Take that, local blues band no. 3! This was easy to transcribe too, because he plays with absolutely remarkable time. I've transcribed some other solos where I've had to make a "choice" of what the phrase was supposed to be rhythmically, but there was no ambiguity in Ford's solos. Boy, that guy could burn in the 70s!

I was asked during my presentation to isolate only three subjective characteristics of the music I had looked at that made me experience the aforementioned "coolness" - For me, that's groove, blues, and chops - the capacity for making the music sound like you can play it.

If I finish the EP I was working on for the project, I'll be sure to post it here