The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12
    Hi everyone,

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these two guitars. Based on reviews and comments (here in JG.be and in the internet), the PM2 seems to be a very nice guitar, but there's almost no opinions about the AF95FM. Both guitars have very similar specs except for the number of humbuckers (I use the neck humbucker all the time), the slightly thicker neck in the AF95, and the case included with the PM2 (which I don't care too much).

I could try both guitars in my city (a local store have the two of them), but I can't because of the &%$ covid19... so I guess I'll have to buy it online!

Have anyone played the AF95 or compared both guitars side by side?

Stay safe... Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I used to have an AF95FM but I haven’t played a PM2. Here are my thoughts on the AF:

Excellent fit and finish. Very comfortable neck. Loved the look and dimensions. The pickups were a little bright, for my taste, but they were clear and defined. I sold it, like a dimwit, to purchase some other gear and I’d also found myself picking up my 5th Ave Kingpin far more often than the AF so I let it go. I wish I had it back so I could throw a couple of P90s in it. Really a beautiful, well-made guitar, especially for the money. I think I paid $649 for mine, brand new. Here’s a pic with it just after arrival. Ibanez PM2 VS AF95FM-2e6dd55e-025f-4494-b035-3dd5eceb863f-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez PM2 VS AF95FM-fc170d11-7019-4f7b-b7fa-797df76116a5-jpg 
    Last edited by Esport; 04-18-2020 at 03:50 PM.

User Info Menu

They’re both good guitars. I had 2 PM2s in quick succession. The first was light and sounded heavenly. Better than the 2013 ES-175 I had at the time. Unfortunately it had a twist in the neck and was unplayable from about the 8th fret up. I was so disappointed in having to send it back. The second one arrived a week later and weighed a pound or two more than the first one and sounded terrible and had no sustain. It played ok but still had neck straightness issues (which I could have lived with after adjusting and setting up) But, because it sounded dull and lifeless, I gave up and sent it back.

I thought about going for the AF95FM (gorgeous) but didn’t. Got the AKJV95 instead. Great guitar but cheap pickups, pots, switch and wiring. Plugged in, it sounded dull and sterile. Upgrading it was a very rewarding experience. I used top quality parts and it became a fantastic guitar.

My conclusion: The PM2 can be great. I would recommend playing it first to see if it’s a good one. Most of the higher end PMs (made in Japan) are excellent. It’s been a year or two since my bad experience with the lower end PM2 but the quality was aweful. Be careful.

As for the AF95 I think they’re great platforms for modding. My experience.

Roli

User Info Menu

I have the PM2 and an older Artcore (AF75). I haven't played the model you're enquiring about but I can tell you that there is a noticeable difference in build and finish quality between my two: the PM2's neck, (ebony) fingerboard and fret-ends all feel "right". The body is way more resonant, though this may be in part due to the thick white paint job on my AF75.

However, if money is an object, it seems that all the Artcores are amazing value and, if they have improved the pickups (it seems they have, at least on the ""Expressionist" models), even more so.

I can certainly recommend the PM2, anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    My conclusion: The PM2 can be great. I would recommend playing it first to see if it’s a good one. Most of the higher end PMs (made in Japan) are excellent. It’s been a year or two since my bad experience with the lower end PM2 but the quality was aweful. Be careful.

Roli
    I think I saw these comments previously in another thread some time ago. OK, but the great number of reviews I have read on this guitar, plus my own experience, would suggest that you were just plain unlucky.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I think I saw these comments previously in another thread some time ago. OK, but the great number of reviews I have read on this guitar, plus my own experience, would suggest that you were just plain unlucky.
    I must have been unlucky. I really wanted to like the PM2. The high praise on this forum influenced me to try. Because I live in a small town, I had to order my PM2. But getting 2 duds in a row soured me, perhaps unfairly. If the first one had not had neck issues, I would still have it it sounded so rich and resonant. I'm grad you've had a good experience with yours--they certainly are nice..

Roli

User Info Menu

I've owned both and am still an af95fm owner. I like everything about the 95. The pm2 just seemed to sound a bit dead and I like the 95 neck a lot more. Not to mention you will save a lot of money with the 95.
    The 95 looks much nicer to my eyes, plus I'd just rather not have a player's name on it. I'm sure you will love the 95 as much as I do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitrman
    I've owned both and am still an af95fm owner. I like everything about the 95. The pm2 just seemed to sound a bit dead and I like the 95 neck a lot more. Not to mention you will save a lot of money with the 95.
    The 95 looks much nicer to my eyes, plus I'd just rather not have a player's name on it. I'm sure you will love the 95 as much as I do.
    The 95 I had had the best neck of anything I’ve owned. Better than my Godin Jazz, AR803ce, 175, Kingpin or ES-345. I sincerely believe that if I’d kept it and just upgraded the electronics and pups that I’d have had a stellar instrument without spending too much. God, if I could put that neck on my 345...

Thanks guys!

For the comments here seems like the AF95FM deserves an oportunity... I already have an Ibanez AS93 and in my experience is a very fine instrument, even more for the money I paid.

The only problem now is that the AS93 and the AF95 look very alike...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FaridGuitarra
    Thanks guys!

For the comments here seems like the AF95FM deserves an oportunity... I already have an Ibanez AS93 and in my experience is a very fine instrument, even more for the money I paid.

The only problem now is that the AS93 and the AF95 look very alike...
    You could have a great (almost) matching set!
    Ibanez PM2 VS AF95FM-as93fm-jpg

Ibanez PM2 VS AF95FM-af95fm-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of my AS-93. Never played a 95, but if the quality/bang-for-buck is there, you're golden.

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    You could have a great (almost) matching set!
    Ibanez PM2 VS AF95FM-as93fm-jpg

Ibanez PM2 VS AF95FM-af95fm-jpg
    That almost matched pair looks great!... It will be hard to explain to my wife why I needed an "identical" guitar so badly!