The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 117

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    No, that's not the case. It's a simply matter of the pickup position relative to the note. No matter what fret you are playing on, the pickup position that's closest to the fretted note will yield the warmer sound. And I've owned enough 24 fret guitars to know that they have a bright, nasallyness that I don't care for. If you think carefully you'll understand that your hypothesis doesn't make sense. Otherwise, a bridge and neck pickup would sound identical on everything but the open string.
    Excellent explanation, many thanks Jack.

The pickup is further away on from the bridge on the 22 fret guitar, so the string has a longer vibration.

It's a very interesting subject, an intriguing phenomenon.
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 10-23-2020 at 08:02 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Someone on another forum posted this:

User Info Menu

Also, few of the iconic solid body guitars (Teles, Strats, LPs, SGs) have variations with 24 frets. Players aren't clamouring for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Also, few of the iconic solid body guitars (Teles, Strats, LPs, SGs) have variations with 24 frets. Players aren't clamouring for it.
    The 24 fret, so called SuperStrats have been very popular in the modern era, but I know what you mean.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    The 24 fret, so called SuperStrats have been very popular in the modern era, but I know what you mean.
    Yeah, I didn't turn quite the right phrase. They many have 24 fret submodels, but the percentage of total models sold with 24 frets is small.

User Info Menu

It's interesting to go thru this discussion since I have the "tele" version with me right now, but I'm trying to sell it to get the first 2-hum version.

The reason is simple, the tele neck pocket has only the routing for a tele neck. I can set the tone knob to about 1/3 to get a decent warm tone with some additional amp tweaking, but there's no way to get rid of that "twang" especially when picking hard.

But I still want to stick to the strandberg family because ergonomically it's superb. The "tele" one gets a lot of use purely because of that reason.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jjk1407
    But I still want to stick to the strandberg family because ergonomically it's superb. The "tele" one gets a lot of use purely because of that reason.
    I am not particularly fond of the looks but if it is as good as promised ergonomically I am definitely interested.

How does it feel to switch between a Standberg and a regular Fender design? Like, is there anything you cannot play anymore on standard axe once you are used to a Strandberg?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Half-trick pony
    How does it feel to switch between a Standberg and a regular Fender design?
    To me it's <10min adjustment time to switch between. The thing gives me most trouble is the fanned frets, especially on the higher positions. Countless times when I thought I'm going to the 12th but landed on the 13th on Strandberg...

User Info Menu

Thanks for your reply. One thing that came to my mind looking at picture of people playing Strandbergs is that they mostly have their right hands close to the bridge. When playing Jazz I tend to pick right above the neck PU. Does that work without feeling weird or lopsided?

User Info Menu

I think it's more about individual's habit. My problem is I always pick right above the neck PU

User Info Menu

I think it's more about individual's habit. My problem is I always pick right above the neck PU
    That just takes me back to the fact that these are all 24 fret necks, so that the neck pup is closer to the bridge. I was hoping the Tele-style model would not have a 24 fret neck, but nope

User Info Menu

Yup... I barely go higher than the 17th, so 18-20 is already a buffer for me, then for 20-24 I guess it's the buffer for the buffer... This is probably the only thing I don't like about Strandberg's design.

2 Strandberg Originals are on their way to my home, 6 and 7 strings. Will have a fun shootout time next week... Will only keep 1 out of 3, so 2 of them will either be returned or put up for sale.

User Info Menu

Yup... I barely go higher than the 17th, so 18-20 is already a buffer for me, then for 20-24 I guess it's the buffer for the buffer... This is probably the only thing I don't like about Strandberg's design.

2 Strandberg Originals are on their way to my home, 6 and 7 strings. Will have a fun shootout time next week... Will only keep 1 out of 3, so 2 of them will either be returned or put up for sale.
    If my eyes don't deceive me, this had 21 frets

User Info Menu

Why in God's name would anyone want a Tele Neck pickup on an Archtop? I get the Charlie Christian pickup thing, even a P 90.

User Info Menu

This whole body/neck/appearance, which do you prefer topic, reminds me of a very funny incident.

Went to the local county fair with a well known classical guitarist and his wife. We went to the guy who guesses age, weight, etc.

When the wife stepped up, the barker said loudly into the microphone and over the system for everyone to hear, "Ah, the face of a little girl with the body of an old lady..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Why in God's name would anyone want a Tele Neck pickup on an Archtop? I get the Charlie Christian pickup thing, even a P 90.

3:34 mark

Pulled from this post:
    What type of neck pickup would you prefer on a &quot;jazz&quot; Tele?

User Info Menu

the 7-string version of the one on top came (or still comes, don’t know) with active pickups from Fishman.

can’t speak for the humbuckers on the 6-string version, but the active ones on my 7 are sweet, smooth, balanced, and surprisingly very acoustic-like - as is the guitar itself, highly resonant, with a really warm attack.

my guitar teacher spent his entire career wearing an L5 and playing Wes’ stuff day in, day out... and found my Strandberg Original 7 quite usable, tone-wise, in any jazz setting (and borrowed it often on such occasions).

look doesn’t matter much to me, i’m in this for the ears’ treat, and the feeling on both hands... and to try one for 10’ meant a sudden, and real bad, “want it” need. and for the love of jazz, too.

User Info Menu

The Strandberg design is interesting to me purely from a practical point of view. Since developing some chronic wrist/thumb and elbow issues it seems to be a possible solution, or partial solution in playing in the seated raise neck position. I know it would not be easy to adapt to the extreme raised angle that Guy and John Stowell use but you can see how stress free that position is .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Because it is a pretty neutral and thus expressive pickup.

User Info Menu

As an update on this matter. I ended up returning both of the Strandberg originals I got, also a Prog 6.

There's a sustain issue at the E and F notes on G string for all the ones I tried, very consistent. The problem gets worse with heavier strings (e.g. a .019 G string) and is definitely not related to fret or PUs. I clamped a fatfinger at the "headstock" then the dead spots moved up 2 frets to D and D#. So it's something related to the design or the production. I also had others confirming the same issue on their Strandbergs.

Too bad I already sold my 2018 Salen when found this problem on the new Strandbergs so I can't really tell if it's something recently got changed in the production process.

Then I got 2 Standards with solid basswood body, instead of chambered ones like Orig/Prog. Both of them have better sustain at E on G, probably because of the solid body design. But the F note is still bothering me. At the end I kept the one with slightly better sustain on F and returned the other.

Just for the reference, here is what one of the Orig sounds like with .019 G string:

User Info Menu

And they're bringing out a jazz model in a few days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    And they're bringing out a jazz model in a few days.
    Curious! Anyone want to guess what that means? I'll go: lower output pickups, semi-hollow, medium jumbo frets? Hard to imagine but maybe fewer than 24 frets so the neck pup lands at :"24"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Curious! Anyone want to guess what that means? I'll go: lower output pickups, semi-hollow, medium jumbo frets? Hard to imagine but maybe fewer than 24 frets so the neck pup lands at :"24"?
    I only know a little but from the advance leaks: a Salen body with two humbuckers, natural finish, conventional sound hole, some sort of chambering.

User Info Menu

i had the original (top photo) and I was ok, not fabulous. I liked the carvin headless better tbh but the disconcerting thing with the strandberg was the neck dive when standing. How do you even design a headless guitar that neckdives?

User Info Menu

A Charlie Christian style pickup would make folks go nuts!