The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 117

User Info Menu

I didn't even notice they were different pickups... the pickups would make the decision for me, since I find them equally off-putting LOL

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mispositioned micro dots and slanted
    frets is just encouraging wrong notes.

User Info Menu

Not... in... a... million... years...

User Info Menu

I like the tele-ish one, but I'd prefer white blonde over butterscotch.

I'd definitely like a ergo guitar someday. I'm a huncher. I need to encourage myself into some better posture.

User Info Menu

One of the things to really consider is the 24 frets displace the neck position pickup further back. For me this has always been a problem,since the natural harmonics are at the 24th fret position.

I've owned both Carvin Alan Holdsworth models Fat boy, and original thinner version, Steinberger, Parker Fly Classic, Music Man Silhouette models. They all had this issue, and one of the reasons I sold them all.
    Parker Fly Classic was the best at still retaining a fuller tone.

I really don't mind the look of either Strandberg guitar. And applaud innovations to the guitar design. But it seems like most newer designs don't have that classic Jazz tone in mind. I'm sure that's not their market nor intended audience.
    Leo Fender found that out with his Jazzmaster in 1959.

User Info Menu

I like the flame and natural finish of the top one. I bought a Les Paul Elegant back in the early 90s. They were doing some gorgeous transparent bursts on these in butterscotch, cherry, and other wild color gradients. I went with a natural top, no burst or color. Just the gorgeous AAAA flame maple. Still have that guitar and still love it.

I know Steve Klein personally. I had him build a custom L45.7 with a Venetian cutaway for me years ago. He was contractually barred from building electrics under his name for some number of years after selling out his part of the Steinberger collaboration. He’s no longer bound by that agreement and is back in the electric game. I haven’t played any of his new electrics but my son played one recently and said it was incredible. Every Klein is incredible. He is a perfectionist and is incapable of building anything less than a stellar piece of functional art.

(I realize the guitars in the OPs post aren’t Steinbergers but they look a lot like them. I am not familiar with the Strandberg brand. Are they related?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz
    I like the flame and natural finish of the top one. I bought a Les Paul Elegant back in the early 90s. They were doing some gorgeous transparent bursts on these in butterscotch, cherry, and other wild color gradients. I went with a natural top, no burst or color. Just the gorgeous AAAA flame maple. Still have that guitar and still love it.

I know Steve Klein personally. I had him build a custom L45.7 with a Venetian cutaway for me years ago. He was contractually barred from building electrics under his name for some number of years after selling out his part of the Steinberger collaboration. He’s no longer bound by that agreement and is back in the electric game. I haven’t played any of his new electrics but my son played one recently and said it was incredible. Every Klein is incredible. He is a perfectionist and is incapable of building anything less than a stellar piece of functional art.

(I realize the guitars in the OPs post aren’t Steinbergers but they look a lot like them. I am not familiar with the Strandberg brand. Are they related?)
    These are both import model lines produced by Strandberg. They are still quite pricey but less than the Strandberg models.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    I had an 8 string Boden from their first USA run many years ago (guitar is long since traded away), and I did like the shape of the guitar. Ola's proprietary neck shape is very interesting, but it can take some getting used to. The shape really wants you to play with thumb-behind instead of thumb around. I'd imagine on a 6 string, it probably wouldn't be as prohibitive feeling as it was on an 8 string.

That all being said, the price on these are very high (IMO) for being an Indonesian import, and I'd probably go with a Kiesel Zeus or Osiris with basic specs and roasted neck/fingeboard for almost a grand less.
    The price difference is actually only a few hundred and I've priced every Kiesel headless endlessly. I'd probably go with the Delos headless since it's available in 22 frets but there's no chambering and an up charge for picking out light weight wood. After working all that with them, they wouldn't ship it to Mexico. I also like the idea of fanned frets. I've played a few of the and really liked them.

I think what I'd really like is the Salen (T-type) body shape without the Tele configuration or colors. I think it could look pretty good with a nice maple top, no pickguard and two humbuckers.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 04-17-2020 at 05:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the cubist tele

User Info Menu

I've seen that model in the flesh and it seemed less yellow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I've seen that model in the flesh and it seemed less yellow.
    These are sweetwater photos. They seem to shoot everything under bright lights. In real lime I thin the color is closer to the traditional Tele butterscotch.

I’ve considered A Strandberg in the past, but more for fusion goals. So, I was looking at the Boden standard 6 tremolo (HSS format), or the Boden Masvidalian (single bridge hum)

I love the single cut body shape of the tele version. I just think it would have been better executed as a single cut Boden with a tele pickup config, and not try to be a traditional tele with the pickguard and control plate.

That said, I’d try the tele version before the standard version.

That’s my vote.

User Info Menu

I like the first one with the pale flamed maple top.

User Info Menu

Jim, I like the white one.
    But if they made one in Koa.. I'd change my mind.
    JD

User Info Menu

I found some of their R&D materials on the internet...
    Strandberg Guitars-amoeba-eating-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    That's why I'm looking at both (as well as the sunburst T-Type posted above). I'm pretty sure that if I went with one of the T-types then I'd want to change the neck pickup. I was thinking of the Lollar PAF style mini-hum but the DiMarzio PAF types have been my go-to for so long that it's always a possibility. I'd probably leave the bridge alone since I never use it anyway.
    I got to give you props Jim, coming into this forum and asking for an opinion about a headless solid body is akin to asking about a classical with cutaway and a pickup on the Delcamps forum. Or a Subaru in a Ford F150 pickup forum. I'm a big fan of Lollar's PAF mini-hum. I have them in two guitars. In one (a telecaster) I have a Lollar mini-hum in the neck and a Lollar BS Tele in the bridge. Surprisingly to my ears they sound almost the same in this guitar. Only tonal difference being location. The Lollar to my ears provides the classic humbucker without being muddy.

User Info Menu

I like Strandbergs, but the second one looks like Salvador Dali's Tele.

Telecasters are iconic, and it looks too much like an inside joke.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I like Strandbergs, but the second one looks like Salvador Dali's Tele.

Telecasters are iconic, and it looks too much like an inside joke.
    I both agree and don't. I actually like this body shape a lot. In fact, I like it better than their standard body shape but I would prefer it to not be a pretend Tele. I think with a nice top and a contemporary finish it would be a really nice platform for a pair humbuckers or a pair of P90s. I think it would actually be more attractive to a general audience rather than just metal and prog rockers and there's nothing about the body that screams to me "Tele". That's strictly a function of the configuration.

User Info Menu

The white one.

User Info Menu

To be honest. None.
    To me they look like something you'd hit your rival with on a battlefield. Which could make an interesting sound as a byproduct.

User Info Menu

Strandberg did offer a really great looking shape that I really REALLY liked, but it was only available for a very short time (Strandberg Masvidalien 2014 Black rare USA made | The | Reverb).

That being said, out of the Sälen versions, the vintage sunburst with the stylized 'F" hole is my favorite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    Strandberg did offer a really great looking shape that I really REALLY liked, but it was only available for a very short time (Strandberg Masvidalien 2014 Black rare USA made | The | Reverb).

That being said, out of the Sälen versions, the vintage sunburst with the stylized 'F" hole is my favorite.
    That's really nice. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Have you considered contacting Alistair at Emerald Guitars for a headless guitar. He has already made one and with the mold already made the cost should be reasonable. In 2015, I played the headless pictured on his website and the build quality was exceptional.

User Info Menu

For the love of god, can someone tell me why I don't like these? I'm disinterested in all that vintage / historial crap, I just like good guitars and good sounds. I don't care about tube amps, I use a digital modeler. When I was having new pickups wound, I could not care less about the level of PAF authenticity, just give me a nice and midrangey humbucker... Why don't I like the ergonomic guitars?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Have you considered contacting Alistair at Emerald Guitars for a headless guitar. He has already made one and with the mold already made the cost should be reasonable. In 2015, I played the headless pictured on his website and the build quality was exceptional.
    I like all the gears and the glowing lights. Very steampunk!