The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 117

User Info Menu

I'm not really expecting anyone here to find these "attractive", but which of these do you prefer?

Strandberg Guitars-bodenorginal-jpgStrandberg Guitars-salen-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

oh good god. I just threw up in my mouth LOL. Forced to choose, the butterscotch one. At least it's got some variation of color, it's somewhat "familiar". Unless "unique" is what you're after (judging by the entire thing, I'd say you are lol), then the white one.

I guess.

User Info Menu

Imo the black guard on butterscotch is a way too traditional look for such a design.

User Info Menu

Of the two listed, the first one doesn't work less, if that makes sense. But the other teleish ones with white guards somehow resolve better. But the standard black guard has never been my preference, either.

User Info Menu

I don't like either, will give neither my nod. This is my nor gate.

I'm sure the luthiers as built 'em are broken-hearted.

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of headless guitars so keep that in mind, but hearing you play over the years, I would probably opt for the neck humbucker version. Although from pure esthetics, I prefer the tele configuration. How about a DiMarzio 25th in the neck and a True Velvet in the bridge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    I'm a fan of headless guitars so keep that in mind, but hearing you play over the years, I would probably opt for the neck humbucker version. Although from pure esthetics, I prefer the tele configuration. How about a DiMarzio 25th in the neck and a True Velvet in the bridge.
    That's why I'm looking at both (as well as the sunburst T-Type posted above). I'm pretty sure that if I went with one of the T-types then I'd want to change the neck pickup. I was thinking of the Lollar PAF style mini-hum but the DiMarzio PAF types have been my go-to for so long that it's always a possibility. I'd probably leave the bridge alone since I never use it anyway.

And for a bit of clarification, one of the attractions in these is that the neck is roasted maple with a roasted maple fingerboard. I believe will handle the extreme climate conditions here. Several of their models, including a couple of the T's, have rosewood board and they are definitely a no here. Humidity two days ago was 3% and in 6 weeks it's probably going to be about 90%.

User Info Menu

The red one is the only color I would consider.

User Info Menu

I would pick the humbucker one without the pickguard.

User Info Menu

Oh man, this one is on my radar.

User Info Menu

I liked the look of the mutated Tele less. The double-cutaway, double HB guitar didn't look quite so derivative.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The red one is the only color I would consider.
    I actually like both the red and the blue but they only come with rosewood boards.

User Info Menu

Strandberg Guitars-fefm_dvz_400x400-jpg

User Info Menu

my only guitar is an 18" carved archtop - of the two I like the shape and style of the top one but the pickup arrangement of the "tele".

User Info Menu

I think Strandbergs are pretty good. I have no preference for the humbucker equipped one, vs the Telesque one (though I already have Tele [Vintera 50s model, with a nice uber chunky neck like a '52! ]). My only desire, is, make mine a 7-string (I'm hankering for another 7-string guitar).

I'd get a Strandberg 8-string, like Sarah Longfield (who happens to be from Madison) plays, but I can't get Ernie Ball Cobalts (one of the only lines of electric guitar strings I can use, no thanks to my nickel and stainless steel/chromium allergies [and no, I will not use coated strings - just what I need, for coating to peel off, exposing the nickel string underneath]) in 7-string sets, and Ernie Ball advised me NOT to use a bass string for an 8th string, due to the different construction of bass strings vs guitar strings.
    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 04-17-2020 at 10:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I actually like both the red and the blue but they only come with rosewood boards.
    That's a plus.

User Info Menu

Maybe what they need is a headstock to make them visually less off-putting...

Strandberg Guitars-60866915390__f7e11dd2-466d-47a1-a222-1731944ae367-jpg

User Info Menu

Of the original two, I prefer the look of the tele-style.

User Info Menu

I like the tele-style too. (Just kiddin' bout the headstock...)

User Info Menu

Would it be an issue to install a neck pickup if the single coils are routed to follow the bottom of the neck and the humbuckers are straight across?

User Info Menu

I've been thinking of the chambered Swamp Ash or Alder models and swapping in a set of TV Jones T-Armonds (might leave a little gap on 2 sides) or Fralin's hum-cancelling P90 (I've got a set I haven't installed).

I'm really liking the red.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't go with the blackguard look (I agree with the poster who said it was too traditional for the design), but the second body shape is much more appealing. The tele burst that was posted is better, but if you're going ergo you might as well lose the binding and get bevels in all the right places.

Jim, have you considered Novo Guitars (Dennis Fano)? Pricey for a bolt-on solidbody, but he uses all tempered woods, his designs are very well thought-out, and you would have an actual guitar in the end.

User Info Menu

I tried a Carvin HH2 Holdsworth that was very similar in colour to the top photograph. It needed a coat of paint to make it stand out from the hardware.

User Info Menu

I prefer the first one.

My first impression of the second one is that someone is ripping off the heralded tele design. So, it turned me off. But, some tele owners may love the nod to the tele design. I feel differently.

User Info Menu

I had an 8 string Boden from their first USA run many years ago (guitar is long since traded away), and I did like the shape of the guitar. Ola's proprietary neck shape is very interesting, but it can take some getting used to. The shape really wants you to play with thumb-behind instead of thumb around. I'd imagine on a 6 string, it probably wouldn't be as prohibitive feeling as it was on an 8 string.

That all being said, the price on these are very high (IMO) for being an Indonesian import, and I'd probably go with a Kiesel Zeus or Osiris with basic specs and roasted neck/fingeboard for almost a grand less.