Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 51 to 100 of 113
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    For the love of god, can someone tell me why I don't like these? I'm disinterested in all that vintage / historial crap, I just like good guitars and good sounds. I don't care about tube amps, I use a digital modeler. When I was having new pickups wound, I could not care less about the level of PAF authenticity, just give me a nice and midrangey humbucker... Why don't I like the ergonomic guitars?!

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rob taft View Post
    Have you considered contacting Alistair at Emerald Guitars for a headless guitar. He has already made one and with the mold already made the cost should be reasonable. In 2015, I played the headless pictured on his website and the build quality was exceptional.
    I like all the gears and the glowing lights. Very steampunk!


  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr quick View Post
    For the love of god, can someone tell me why I don't like these? I'm disinterested in all that vintage / historial crap, I just like good guitars and good sounds. I don't care about tube amps, I use a digital modeler. When I was having new pickups wound, I could not care less about the level of PAF authenticity, just give me a nice and midrangey humbucker... Why don't I like the ergonomic guitars?!
    Because...



    ???

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    The Original 6 look very good imho. Look even better in red. The other one look like a melted tele, and not in an appealing way.

    I've been eyeing the O6 because my back want me to find a lightweight guitar. AFAIK they sound good and it's a well thought out instrument. I'm not sure I'd be onboard with that neck
    Last edited by Average Joe; 04-25-2020 at 07:18 AM.

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    Between those two, I much prefer the first one.

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    I would go with the dual humbucker one. The Tele style looks a bit goofy/ ironic.

  8. #57
    Hi Jim,

    Greetings from Portland. I just bought a standard Strandberg with S, S, H. So far I like it a lot.

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    I find that the headless guitar is good for playing seated, especially if you like the neck in a higher position.

    Works for me.


  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden View Post
    I find that the headless guitar is good for playing seated, especially if you like the neck in a higher position.

    Works for me.

    How do you fret with your left hand thumb with that technique?

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    i had the top one for a week. It was the chambered version. I liked the guitar in general but the pickups were overly hot, i didn't like the pickup placement with the 24 frets and it was neck heavy when standing. That seemed to violate the ergo moniker for me so I returned it.

    If I were buying a headless guitar today, I would get a forshage.

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    How do you fret with your left hand thumb with that technique?
    You don't. I can't remember the last time I fretted a string with my left thumb.

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    oh, another thing I was going to mention on the strandberg is that the asymetrical neck carve I found very uncomfortable

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    I like the cubist tele
    Me too. Otherwise they look a bit like a solution for a problem I've yet to have. But I would like to try one just out of curiosity. I'd like to know what the neck shape and fanned frets do.

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    This headless body design is great for my seated playing position. The Endura type neck does make you play in a classical style with the thumb behind the middle of the neck. The solid body model is definitely not neck heavy, I don't know about the chambered. The pickups can be changed, I have 7K PAF Zebra's in my headless and Jazz humbuckers in my other headless.

    It works great for me and that's what matters.


  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    Do they make a neck with fewer than 24 frets? I want the neck pup at that spot.

  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Do they make a neck with fewer than 24 frets? I want the neck pup at that spot.
    Doesn't this only work if you play only open strings/chords?

    When you fret a note I'd imagine that the pickup position to string vibration moves also.

    I'm not sure of the physics.

  18. #67

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    i had the top one for a week. It was the chambered version. I liked the guitar in general but the pickups were overly hot, i didn't like the pickup placement with the 24 frets and it was neck heavy when standing. That seemed to violate the ergo moniker for me so I returned it.

    If I were buying a headless guitar today, I would get a forshage.

    Here's one for you Jack, it definitely won't be neck heavy with that 8 string bridge, they build a 6 string:


    Normal neck profile:

  19. #68

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden View Post
    Doesn't this only work if you play only open strings/chords?

    When you fret a note I'd imagine that the pickup position to string vibration moves also.

    I'm not sure of the physics.
    No, I'm not one of those guitar players who think having the pickup at an open string node point gives it mystical powers, I just like the sweet sound of a neck pickup over the bridge pup, and when you have 24 frets, that causes the neck pickup to be moved the wrong way! That part of my guitar neck is dusty anyway -- I don't need 24 frets.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 10-20-2020 at 12:25 PM.

  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    These Aristides headless guitars from Holland are very interesting, they have a composite body/neck material called magically "Arium".

    A big claim. "the result is an instrument in which sound is able to travel uninhibited in 3 dimensions, for the ultimate performance in resonance, sustain, clarity, and articulation."

    Production process | Aristides Instruments

    History | Aristides Instruments

    Aristides Instruments | Aristides Instruments


  21. #70

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden View Post
    These Aristides headless guitars from Holland are very interesting, they have a composite body/neck material called magically "Arium".

    A big claim. "the result is an instrument in which sound is able to travel uninhibited in 3 dimensions, for the ultimate performance in resonance, sustain, clarity, and articulation."

    Production process | Aristides Instruments

    History | Aristides Instruments

    Aristides Instruments | Aristides Instruments

    I've always liked what they've done at Aristides. My only problem with them is that their prices are beyond my budget.

  22. #71

    User Info Menu

    My issue with most of the new designs including the Parker Fly, is they displace the neck pickup from the 22nd fret. For me that is the Sweet Spot for Jazz tone.

    Also they seem more designed to be a neutral tonality,to take advantage of processing with eq and other effects. Wonderful if your into that Allan Holdsworth type of tone!

  23. #72

    User Info Menu


  24. #73

    User Info Menu

    Strandberg Guitars-9eb1e8b1-4ecd-4cf4-8955-1e60c65cb451-jpg
    I made my own, as a travel guitar. The bridge is a cheapie Chinese made one but it works.

    the neck pickup is an SD P-Rails

  25. #74

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Now that's a cool guitar!

  26. #75

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden View Post
    Doesn't this only work if you play only open strings/chords?

    When you fret a note I'd imagine that the pickup position to string vibration moves also.

    I'm not sure of the physics.
    No, that's not the case. It's a simply matter of the pickup position relative to the note. No matter what fret you are playing on, the pickup position that's closest to the fretted note will yield the warmer sound. And I've owned enough 24 fret guitars to know that they have a bright, nasallyness that I don't care for. If you think carefully you'll understand that your hypothesis doesn't make sense. Otherwise, a bridge and neck pickup would sound identical on everything but the open string.

    There is also the physics of more neck mass which I also firmly believe in - having owned a half dozen headless guitars. I get the ergo thing and there was a point where my back and neck were so bad that I had to play sitting 100% of the time and wanted the weight savings but ironically my ash tele weighs less than the carvin headless guitars I owned (5.9lbs)! When I had the pawar privateer body the guitar was something like 5.4lbs!

  27. #76

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DRS View Post
    Now that's a cool guitar!
    Saul Koll.

  28. #77

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    There is also the physics of more neck mass which I also firmly believe in - having owned a half dozen headless guitars.
    Would headless guitar + a variant of The Fat Finger be a possible solution to this?


  29. #78

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    No, that's not the case. It's a simply matter of the pickup position relative to the note. No matter what fret you are playing on, the pickup position that's closest to the fretted note will yield the warmer sound. And I've owned enough 24 fret guitars to know that they have a bright, nasallyness that I don't care for. If you think carefully you'll understand that your hypothesis doesn't make sense. Otherwise, a bridge and neck pickup would sound identical on everything but the open string.
    Excellent explanation, many thanks Jack.

    The pickup is further away on from the bridge on the 22 fret guitar, so the string has a longer vibration.

    It's a very interesting subject, an intriguing phenomenon.
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 10-23-2020 at 08:02 AM.

  30. #79

    User Info Menu

    Someone on another forum posted this:


  31. #80

    User Info Menu

    Also, few of the iconic solid body guitars (Teles, Strats, LPs, SGs) have variations with 24 frets. Players aren't clamouring for it.

  32. #81

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Also, few of the iconic solid body guitars (Teles, Strats, LPs, SGs) have variations with 24 frets. Players aren't clamouring for it.
    The 24 fret, so called SuperStrats have been very popular in the modern era, but I know what you mean.

  33. #82

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden View Post
    The 24 fret, so called SuperStrats have been very popular in the modern era, but I know what you mean.
    Yeah, I didn't turn quite the right phrase. They many have 24 fret submodels, but the percentage of total models sold with 24 frets is small.

  34. #83

    User Info Menu

    It's interesting to go thru this discussion since I have the "tele" version with me right now, but I'm trying to sell it to get the first 2-hum version.

    The reason is simple, the tele neck pocket has only the routing for a tele neck. I can set the tone knob to about 1/3 to get a decent warm tone with some additional amp tweaking, but there's no way to get rid of that "twang" especially when picking hard.

    But I still want to stick to the strandberg family because ergonomically it's superb. The "tele" one gets a lot of use purely because of that reason.

  35. #84

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jjk1407 View Post
    But I still want to stick to the strandberg family because ergonomically it's superb. The "tele" one gets a lot of use purely because of that reason.
    I am not particularly fond of the looks but if it is as good as promised ergonomically I am definitely interested.

    How does it feel to switch between a Standberg and a regular Fender design? Like, is there anything you cannot play anymore on standard axe once you are used to a Strandberg?

  36. #85

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-trick pony View Post
    How does it feel to switch between a Standberg and a regular Fender design?
    To me it's <10min adjustment time to switch between. The thing gives me most trouble is the fanned frets, especially on the higher positions. Countless times when I thought I'm going to the 12th but landed on the 13th on Strandberg...

  37. #86

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for your reply. One thing that came to my mind looking at picture of people playing Strandbergs is that they mostly have their right hands close to the bridge. When playing Jazz I tend to pick right above the neck PU. Does that work without feeling weird or lopsided?

  38. #87

    User Info Menu

    I think it's more about individual's habit. My problem is I always pick right above the neck PU

  39. #88

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jjk1407 View Post
    I think it's more about individual's habit. My problem is I always pick right above the neck PU
    That just takes me back to the fact that these are all 24 fret necks, so that the neck pup is closer to the bridge. I was hoping the Tele-style model would not have a 24 fret neck, but nope

  40. #89

    User Info Menu

    Yup... I barely go higher than the 17th, so 18-20 is already a buffer for me, then for 20-24 I guess it's the buffer for the buffer... This is probably the only thing I don't like about Strandberg's design.

    2 Strandberg Originals are on their way to my home, 6 and 7 strings. Will have a fun shootout time next week... Will only keep 1 out of 3, so 2 of them will either be returned or put up for sale.

  41. #90

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jjk1407 View Post
    Yup... I barely go higher than the 17th, so 18-20 is already a buffer for me, then for 20-24 I guess it's the buffer for the buffer... This is probably the only thing I don't like about Strandberg's design.

    2 Strandberg Originals are on their way to my home, 6 and 7 strings. Will have a fun shootout time next week... Will only keep 1 out of 3, so 2 of them will either be returned or put up for sale.
    If my eyes don't deceive me, this had 21 frets


  42. #91

    User Info Menu

    Why in God's name would anyone want a Tele Neck pickup on an Archtop? I get the Charlie Christian pickup thing, even a P 90.

  43. #92

    User Info Menu

    This whole body/neck/appearance, which do you prefer topic, reminds me of a very funny incident.

    Went to the local county fair with a well known classical guitarist and his wife. We went to the guy who guesses age, weight, etc.

    When the wife stepped up, the barker said loudly into the microphone and over the system for everyone to hear, "Ah, the face of a little girl with the body of an old lady..."

  44. #93

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    Why in God's name would anyone want a Tele Neck pickup on an Archtop? I get the Charlie Christian pickup thing, even a P 90.

    3:34 mark



    Pulled from this post:
    What type of neck pickup would you prefer on a &quot;jazz&quot; Tele?

  45. #94

    User Info Menu

    the 7-string version of the one on top came (or still comes, don’t know) with active pickups from Fishman.

    can’t speak for the humbuckers on the 6-string version, but the active ones on my 7 are sweet, smooth, balanced, and surprisingly very acoustic-like - as is the guitar itself, highly resonant, with a really warm attack.

    my guitar teacher spent his entire career wearing an L5 and playing Wes’ stuff day in, day out... and found my Strandberg Original 7 quite usable, tone-wise, in any jazz setting (and borrowed it often on such occasions).

    look doesn’t matter much to me, i’m in this for the ears’ treat, and the feeling on both hands... and to try one for 10’ meant a sudden, and real bad, “want it” need. and for the love of jazz, too.

  46. #95

    User Info Menu

    The Strandberg design is interesting to me purely from a practical point of view. Since developing some chronic wrist/thumb and elbow issues it seems to be a possible solution, or partial solution in playing in the seated raise neck position. I know it would not be easy to adapt to the extreme raised angle that Guy and John Stowell use but you can see how stress free that position is .

  47. #96

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    Why in God's name would anyone want a Tele Neck pickup on an Archtop? I get the Charlie Christian pickup thing, even a P 90.
    Because it is a pretty neutral and thus expressive pickup.

  48. #97

    User Info Menu

    As an update on this matter. I ended up returning both of the Strandberg originals I got, also a Prog 6.

    There's a sustain issue at the E and F notes on G string for all the ones I tried, very consistent. The problem gets worse with heavier strings (e.g. a .019 G string) and is definitely not related to fret or PUs. I clamped a fatfinger at the "headstock" then the dead spots moved up 2 frets to D and D#. So it's something related to the design or the production. I also had others confirming the same issue on their Strandbergs.

    Too bad I already sold my 2018 Salen when found this problem on the new Strandbergs so I can't really tell if it's something recently got changed in the production process.

    Then I got 2 Standards with solid basswood body, instead of chambered ones like Orig/Prog. Both of them have better sustain at E on G, probably because of the solid body design. But the F note is still bothering me. At the end I kept the one with slightly better sustain on F and returned the other.

    Just for the reference, here is what one of the Orig sounds like with .019 G string:


  49. #98

    User Info Menu

    And they're bringing out a jazz model in a few days.

  50. #99

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    And they're bringing out a jazz model in a few days.
    Curious! Anyone want to guess what that means? I'll go: lower output pickups, semi-hollow, medium jumbo frets? Hard to imagine but maybe fewer than 24 frets so the neck pup lands at :"24"?

  51. #100

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Curious! Anyone want to guess what that means? I'll go: lower output pickups, semi-hollow, medium jumbo frets? Hard to imagine but maybe fewer than 24 frets so the neck pup lands at :"24"?
    I only know a little but from the advance leaks: a Salen body with two humbuckers, natural finish, conventional sound hole, some sort of chambering.